What's new

Giving up on DE razors. Yet to find my Goldilocks razor.

I don’t believe it started that way. I get better shaves from twin blade carts compared to any DE/blade combo I’ve tried too. Now if we’re talking about $5 multi-blade carts, I would agree with you…but only because those razors do not work for me. If I got 20 amazing shaves out of a $5 cart, I would totally be fine using one and WOULD.
I know the man who invented the twin-blade razor (when he worked for Wilkinson Sword) and he told me the idea was simply to sell more blades. That’s not to say you don’t experience other benefits from the format.

F.Y.I. You can still buy a Trac II type razor and twin blade Gillette cartridges.

I recently acquired a Gillette Trac II razor and a supply of blades. These are the original blade style that do not pivot or have the "slime/goo" lubricating strip on them.

They have a slightly different name and are a Gillette 7 O'Clock brand made in India and marketed as the PII. The handle is a reproduction of the original. The shave was as I had remembered it being.

Strangely enough, you can buy the replica handle online through Walmart for only $6.99

proxy.php

These handles are a solid heavy plastic with a metal accent. They are heavy in the hand and do not feel like or shave like the cheap disposable 2-blade razors. They are great for trimming nose hairs too. Try that with your 5-blade cartridge (or DE razor).

And different packages of Gillette PII blades. The blades are packaged five to a pack. Three packs are $15.21. That's only a dollar for each cartridge.
proxy.php

You can still have your twin cartridges. I think mine are excellent.
I ordered these Trac II and I thought this AM eh, why not just try it out on the neck line. I was wildly impressed and achieved one of the closest shaves I’ve had in some time from a two pass shave. I did get a little nick around the lip from applying pressure , but if no irritation occurs, these may be my new favorite cart razor!

You are correct on two counts. True, shaving is not rocket science. And true, you really can't assume anything about another individual.

Still, the move away from DE and SE shaving was prompted, not by better technology but by corporate greed and the desire to get more money from the consumer.

While you might believe that you can get a better shave out of cheap disposable razors and a can of Barbasol, there are those who think and feel differently.

The general public is not known for its discerning tastes in products, which is why they eat at McDonald's and listen to music through Bose and Beats.

Ignorance is bliss...

Oh that horrible corporate greed. Is that the same greed that brought Gillette DE razors to market? The same greed that created better shaving brushes made from badger and not horse hair? The same greed that created the personal computer where anyone can write fiction or truth?

Companies are in business to make a profit. They spend money on R&D to make products better. A few rules govern. Will the proposed product or change 1) reduce expenses 2) increase revenue 3) improve customer satisfaction.

Those who hate capitalism should give up their DE products and move to a highly restrictive culture that doesn't even allow shaving. Love it or leave it.

The same greed that created the personal computer where anyone can write fiction or truth?

It's interesting that you mention personal computers as one of your examples of corporate greed?

While there were different early digital computers, the one that opened the personal computer door was called the MITS Altair. It was a project kit that was featured in the January 1975 Popular Electronics magazine.

proxy.php

It was from this humble beginning by electronic hobbyists that the entire industry sprung up. Originally, the only place you could buy a "micro computer" was in a hobby shop, in kit form.

Other hobby kits included the Cromemco and the IMSAI 8080.

proxy.php

More people would recognize this micro computer because it was the model that was featured in the movie War Games.

proxy.php

All of these early computers were hobbyists kits that the user had to assemble. Heathkit offered a couple of models.

There were zero corporations involved. Only normal everyday individuals.

A couple of these guys got together and built a kit computer in their garage. That company was to become known to the public as Apple.

Radio Shack offered their already assembled TRS-80 back in the summer of 1977.

Corporate "greed" only came on the scene back in August of 1981 when IBM introduced their PC to the public.

This actually only happened after the Lab Director at IBM's Boca Raton Florida facility obtained corporate permission to develop it.

proxy.php

The corporate computer manufacturers wanted no part in small computers.

This was not so different when a couple of decades later, corporate businesses wanted nothing to do with the Internet.

Smart cookies these greedy corporations were...

Last edited:
Sound advice has already been given by others. I too value an enjoyable and irritation free shave more than a BBS. In my early days of traditional wet shaving a BBS was my preferred outcome. I would buff until it was glorious. Yet after a while I stopped chasing that idea, because the next day my beard would have a 5 o’clock shadow anyway. I noticed my skin benefitted from merely going for a DFS. Since then, I never looked back.

Sound advice has already been given by others. I too value an enjoyable and irritation free shave more than a BBS. In my early days of traditional wet shaving a BBS was my preferred outcome. I would buff until it was glorious. Yet after a while I stopped chasing that idea, because the next day my beard would have a 5 o’clock shadow anyway. I noticed my skin benefitted from merely going for a DFS. Since then, I never looked back.
a true bbs shave without irritation is always my goal and it's easily achievable. if there were always a few stubble left after the shave, the whole thing would be meaningless and i wouldn't shave at all. the poster of this thread just needs to work on his technique and the whole pre-shave process.

I know I'm late to this thread and the OP seems to be happy with Trac II carts, but if he's still trying to find the "one" DE razor I'd suggest going on eBay and getting a Schick Krona. Like the OP I didn't get on great with Merkur/EJ razors, and it took a long time to be comfortable with a vintage Gillette (any model), but the Krona is perfect for me. It's a mild but efficient razor and I think the head/blade geometry is different than Gillette.

It's interesting that you mention personal computers as one of your examples of corporate greed?

While there were different early digital computers, the one that opened the personal computer door was called the MITS Altair. It was a project kit that was featured in the January 1975 Popular Electronics magazine.

proxy.php

It was from this humble beginning by electronic hobbyists that the entire industry sprung up. Originally, the only place you could buy a "micro computer" was in a hobby shop, in kit form.

Other hobby kits included the Cromemco and the IMSAI 8080.

proxy.php

More people would recognize this micro computer because it was the model that was featured in the movie War Games.

proxy.php

All of these early computers were hobbyists kits that the user had to assemble. Heathkit offered a couple of models.

There were zero corporations involved. Only normal everyday individuals.

A couple of these guys got together and built a kit computer in their garage. That company was to become known to the public as Apple.

Radio Shack offered their already assembled TRS-80 back in the summer of 1977.

Corporate "greed" only came on the scene back in August of 1981 when IBM introduced their PC to the public.

This actually only happened after the Lab Director at IBM's Boca Raton Florida facility obtained corporate permission to develop it.

proxy.php

The corporate computer manufacturers wanted no part in small computers.

This was not so different when a couple of decades later, corporate businesses wanted nothing to do with the Internet.

Smart cookies these greedy corporations were...

I remember them.

Who made the chips, boards, cabinets, plastics, did the marketing, etc? Companies. They were not sold at cost either. These were not cheap at time either. Glossing over facts to support anti ideologies is less than charitable. Nothing more to say on the subject.

I remember them.

Who made the chips, boards, cabinets, plastics, did the marketing, etc? Companies. They were not sold at cost either. These were not cheap at time either. Glossing over facts to support anti ideologies is less than charitable. Nothing more to say on the subject.

You have an interesting take on the origins of personal computers?

By your extended logic, any craftsman who builds anything is part of corporate greed because they buy things that came from corporations?

So if I decide to build something, I have to buy sheet metal, screws, wire, transformers and other items that were manufactured by large corporate industries.

Pretty much anything that happened after cavemen, who fashioned their own tools out of rocks, wood and leaves, then created something new, falls under your definitions.

Starting with the Bronze Age, it was all downhill from then on.

Have so say, you have all if your bases covered...

You have an interesting take on the origins of personal computers?

By your extended logic, any craftsman who builds anything is part of corporate greed because they buy things that came from corporations?

So if I decide to build something, I have to buy sheet metal, screws, wire, transformers and other items that were manufactured by large corporate industries.

Pretty much anything that happened after cavemen, who fashioned their own tools out of rocks, wood and leaves, then created something new, falls under your definitions.

Have so say, you have all if your bases covered...

A craftsman is a businessman. They make products to make a profit. Not talking about a hobbyist but a person who makes a living at trade. To think otherwise is the height of nativity.

I ordered these Trac II and I thought this AM eh, why not just try it out on the neck line. I was wildly impressed and achieved one of the closest shaves I’ve had in some time from a two pass shave. I did get a little nick around the lip from applying pressure , but if no irritation occurs, these may be my new favorite cart razor!

I always liked this razor. Being small, it was easy to accurately use it to trim. Want to catch a few protruding nose hairs, not a problem.

It becomes increasingly more difficult to accurately trim, starting at a specific point when would add additional blades.

Always seemed sharp to me and gave me a quality close shave. I like the weight of the solid plastic handle over similar styled disposable razors.

I started this year with an Adventure to shave daily, changing to a new DE blade each week.

I decided to throw in a week here and there with the PII and the Mach III, for comparison against the DE blades.

A craftsman is a businessman. They make products to make a profit.

Not sure where I said or implied that a craftsman was not a businessman?

Everyone must bring in an income in some fashion in order to survive. We generally refer to it as profit.

I don't quite get where you feel I think that making a profit us somehow an evil thing. Quite puzzling, considering that I myself have spent a considerable portion of my life as an independent business man?

I don't follow your points of contention at all. They are vague, nebulous and serve no purpose, other than a vehicle for you to make unfounded statements and personal judgements about others.

a true bbs shave without irritation is always my goal and it's easily achievable. if there were always a few stubble left after the shave, the whole thing would be meaningless and i wouldn't shave at all. the poster of this thread just needs to work on his technique and the whole pre-shave process.

Your choice of words comes across as if a BBS should be and always is easily achievable when the technique is properly executed. Which is quite a bold statement, my German friend.

YMMV.

Everyone must bring in an income in some fashion in order to survive. We generally refer to it as profit.

I don't quite get where you feel I think that making a profit us somehow an evil thing. Quite puzzling, considering that I myself have spent a considerable portion of my life as an independent business man?

I don't follow your points of contention at all. They are vague, nebulous and serve no purpose, other than a vehicle for you to make unfounded statements and personal judgements about others.

You”re accusing someone else of being nebulous? That’s a good one!

• Love
Reactions: ctr
Your choice of words comes across as if a BBS should be and always is easily achievable when the technique is properly executed. Which is quite a bold statement, my German friend.

YMMV.
i'm quite sure that i am not the only one on here who achieves that every single shave. it's not black magic.

Your post #91 stated greed drove development and the move to what you perceive as inferior product. Post #91 insulted people including those on this forum who use canned foam and disposables. Post #91 insulted people who eat fast food.

Your wrote in post #105...

"Smart cookies these greedy corporations were..."

The entire posts were highly opinionated and insulting to anyone who doesn't conform to your opinions. To your fellow B&B members. Own it, don't run from it.

The entire posts were highly opinionated and insulting to anyone who doesn't conform to your opinions. To your fellow B&B members. Own it, don't run from it.

Most posts on this or any other forum are opinions. My posts are no different. I stand behind my opinions. You may not like them. You may not agree with them. I see no reason for anyone to confirm to an opinion, whether rendered by myself or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom