What's new

Giving up on DE razors. Yet to find my Goldilocks razor.

Hi,

Just wanted to say I have been a big lurker who mostly reads over the last few years. I have tried a majority of all the popular razors that people suggest and I can’t find that razor that gets me the mythical bbs , irritation free shave. Best I can do is DFS with two passes. Most often I shoot for the one pass to avoid ingrown hairs. I’ve tried several Merkers, EJ, including a slant and adjustable. A slew of Gillette razors, feather as-d2, twitch ,single edge, adjustables from Gillette . A lot . I’ve tried mild, medium and aggressive razors. The aggressive seems to kill me the most .My last ditch effort is the Henson mild before I Chuck everything and go back to the Gillette Sensor excel carts.

Anyone else still yet to find that mythical dream razor after years of searching and spending ?
Have you tried a leaf razor? it uses the DE blades but has a pivot head. I freaking love it for my head shaves. Its really hard to nick yourself and gives good shave results for me.

You may use your preferred DE razor for the first two passes and a good 5-blades Gillette cart for the last pass ATG or touch ups.
That's an interesting suggestion. I've had similar concerns as the OP. I have no problem using any DE or SE on most of my face, but trying to go ATG on and under my chin has always been killer. I have plenty of carts to choose from to handle that task. If that can reinvigorate my interest, it would be great. I understand the Overlander is good at ATG, but have been on the fence about trying it. This might open up options on other DE's and SE's as well. Thanks.

That's an interesting suggestion. I've had similar concerns as the OP. I have no problem using any DE or SE on most of my face, but trying to go ATG on and under my chin has always been killer. I have plenty of carts to choose from to handle that task. If that can reinvigorate my interest, it would be great. I understand the Overlander is good at ATG, but have been on the fence about trying it. This might open up options on other DE's and SE's as well. Thanks.
The reason why I mentioned it is that I actually do it. I am coming from a period with very sensitive skin and and while it is constantly improving, when I feel that my skin is not in the right mood, I have no problems in using a Gillette Labs for the final touch ups, especially in a couple of (concave) areas at the base of my neck where I have to either stretch my skin to the limit or make some pressure, which are both a no-no, even with my Henson. While I do not like using a cart for a full shave, it's working well for that purpose, the Gillette Labs is a great razor and using it only for that purpose the cart lasts "forever". Few times I have used it for a full pass ATG as well.

I always do a three pass shave with touch up. I make sure to re-lather the areas I do I touch up on. I always get a baby smooth shave, except maybe on my chin area. I learned a lot about wet shaving from Geofatboy’s videos from Shave nation. To get a BBS, you really need to know the direction in which you hair grows, and you’ll need to do ATG on third pass. Having a good slick soap with a good “cushion” really helps me in not getting irritation.

If you go back to Gillette cartridges, how will you avoid ingrown hairs? You would have to find a razor like the Gillette Guard from India with a single blade.

Also, the Goldilocks razor(s) probably need Goldilocks blade(s) and Goldilocks soap(s) to go with it, along with proper lathering and mowing technique.

I am also one of those that is content with DFS on most of the face and CCS on the neck. If I attempt closer, there will be skin tears and small bits of blood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom