What's new

GIVING BACK..?

NOW THAT I'M RETIRED (WELL I HAVE BEEN FOR A FEW YEARS NOW) A WHILE BACK I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A PART TIME JOB, NOT FOR THE MONEY AS MY WIFE AND I WORKED HARD ALL OUR LIVES AND ARE TRULY BLESSED THUS MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE WHATSOEVER, BUT RATHER TO FILL IN A LITTLE TIME AS I CAN ONLY PLAY BLACKJACK SO MUCH. THEN I THOUGHT THAT IF I DID SO I MIGHT BE TAKING AWAY WORK FROM A FAMILY THAT REALLY COULD USE THE MONEY, THUS I RULED THAT THOUGHT OUT. I NOW VOLUENTEER TWO DAYS A WEEK AT A VETERANS HOSPITAL NOTHING GLAMOROUS I PUSH A COFFEE CART AROUND ALONG WITH NEWSPAPERS. I FIND THIS TO BE BEYOND FUFULLING IN MANY WAYS. I HAVE A-LOT IN COMMON WITH A-LOT OF THESE GUYS AND I FIND THE INTERACTION WITH THEM TO BE PRICELESS. LASTLY WHEN I LOOK IN THE MIRROR IT MAKES ME SMILE AND HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO GIVE BACK ALBEIT IN A SMALL WAY. SHOULD YOU EVER HAVE A CHANCE TO GIVE BACK I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO SO. THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY RAMBLINGS AND I WON"T BORE YOU ANY LONGER. HAVE A GOOD DAY ALL. CARRY ON....
BEST REGARDS
RON

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very cool- it gets you out of the house, and you can feel good about what you are doing

Well done, Ron. I am sure the vets really appreciate your volunteering for them. Great way to give back and it sounds like this is very fulfilling for you as well. A win-win.

Thanks Ron. You made a good point about having a part-time job might take away an opportunity for someone who really could use the paycheque. Your volunteering will mean more than you know.
When my Dad was in hospital years ago for heart surgery, Mom and I were killing time in the small waiting room trying not to make eye contact with the other family in there waiting for their family member to get out of heart surgery. In comes this sweet old Scots lady pushing a magazine cart asking if anyone wanted something to read. Getting no real response, she launched into what could only be called a fifteen minute stand-up set, entertaining the whole room about what to expect after surgery, where to get free parking around the hospital, reassuring us that the doctors operating on our family members were the best in the hospital, etc.
Some supervisor came and told her to get back to work. After she left, the next few hours flew by as both families chatted and laughed about the show.
The next day Mom and I were in the same waiting room with that other family, and caught up on how things were going. Another group was in there, doing the same "avoiding eye contact" thing.
Someone from the other family asked if the magazine lady had been in yet...the new group had a blank look. I piped up that if some Scottish lady comes in pushing a magazine cart, buckle up and enjoy the show. The new group had to think the rest of us were nuts.
But that funny lady, a volunteer (in the old days they were kids called Candy Stripers), made a difficult situation a little more bearable. For years Mom and I would laugh about that magazine lady, leaving my Dad and sister wondering what the Hell we were going on about.
That lady made a lasting impression. Hopefully you can too, Ron.
God Bless, and thank you.

Top Bottom