Givenchy Gentleman

Discussion in 'Fragrance' started by doctordial, Apr 15, 2019.

How many of you have this cologne? I want to like this, but there is a funkiness to this that turns me off. I sprayed some on the back of my hand last night and kept selling it. There are some notes of it that I do like. I kept smelling it and kept getting notes that I like and some that just pushed me away. I guess the lesson learned is to keep the back of my hand away from my nose. Lol.

1. Is this the "Les Parfums Mythiques" version you have? I don't like the regular Givenchy Gentleman, but the Monsieur de Givenchy LPM is fantastic. In my view, the GG is brutal because of the Iris note, which I find gagworthy...

2. I have the original one, not the updated version that came out a year or two ago. I love it. The funk you describe is probably a combination of the honey and civet. I would say perhaps give it a few more wearings, and space the wearings apart. Sometimes fragrances like this grow on you.

3. Bhugo

Bhugo Contributor

Same here. Patchouli is powerful. Not everyone likes it.

4. Niles

Niles Moderator Emeritus Contributor

I went through several bottles of the original version. In my opinion, the civet and patchouli are a bit jarring if you aren't familiar with those notes.

5. I have what I take to be the original, and enjoy it. Have the EDT and the aftershave splash. Hadn't thought of it as being funky; just good.

6. I'd give a thumbs up to this... oh hang on a mo - :thumbup:
    I wasn't immediately taken with Givenchy Gentleman - https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Givenchy/Gentleman-1974--2965.html - upon first sprays but it definitely grew on me.

Definitely this too. I like patchouli a lot - quite a few of my favourite fragrances are very heavy on it. However I went to a yoga for beginners class the other week and the instructor had some patchouli oil. I was really close to the front of the class - not by choice - and even I was finding the patchouli oil a bit much.

7. Yeah, I think I'll give it a few more tried. Sometimes a cologne smell different in different temperatures.

8. I have it now and have had it since 1972. When I bought a new bottle last year I had some left in a bottle I had for several years and the scent was identical. My favorite cologne ever. I’ll leave the undertaker instructions to give me a splash before he shuts the lid.