What's new

Give up and revert to Mach 3?

As the title suggests, I've struggled with DE wetshaving and I'm tempted to give up and revert to the Mach 3 (sacrilege, I know). So I'm looking for advice on what to change.

By way of background, I switched to DE wetshaving to find a more environmentally friendly, more ethical and less expensive way of shaving. (I was perfectly happy with the Mach 3 shaves I had before.) I have a light beard and seem to have sensitive skin.

I've been using a Gillette Super Speed flare for about 5 months now. I've mainly used the one shaving cream. I've had trouble finding a blade I'm happy with - I quite like Derbys because they're gentle but after a shave or two they seem to drag. Dorcos last better but cause a bit more irritation. Other blades are too irritating.

The problem is that I can't get a satisfactorily close shave unless I shave ATG, but that pass creates irritation. Even if I do shave ATG and risk the irritation, the shave is not perfectly smooth. My neck is also problematic because the grain mostly runs horizontally (each side pointing towards my adam's apple) and so WTG and ATG passes are almost impossible because of the curvature of my neck. That leaves XTG but that doesn't give me a good enough shave.

By way of comparison, I get perfect shaves from even a blunt Mach 3. No irritation whatever direction I shave - the cartridge has a wonderful way of distinguishing between hair and skin.

I have a Gillette Slim coming so I will see if adjusting to a milder setting helps. I'm also aware of the usual pressure and angle advice, but I think those aspects are as good as I can get them at the moment. I'd be grateful for any advice on what else to try. Thanks!

Honestly it could still be pressure and angle. If the Mach 3 can give you a great shave without irritation than a DE certainly can. Other than that I think trying out a different razor(and finding the right blade for that razor) could help. I have about 7 razors and only 3 of them give me a pretty good shave but 2 of them in particular are much better than the others. Finding the right razor is important I think.

Also try a soap maybe?

I've never shaved with a Mach 3, but it has spring mounted blades to supposedly protect the user against too much pressure.

Maybe that is where your problem is? Still too much pressure with the DE razor?

Shave in or immediately after a shower. The water is to soften your beard hair. Use the cheap Wal-Mart Shave Secret pre-shave oil to protect your skin. The Wal-Mart cheap stuff works just as well as the expensive stuff. I think it's all from the same factory. Use soap you can lather well, or blasphemy - use a can of Barbasol. Don't fart around with soap you have trouble lathering.

Notice that you need to control blade angle, not razor handle angle. The Mach3 handle and blade edges are almost parallel, so you shave with the handle close in. The DE razor's handle is almost perpendicular, so you shave with the handle vary far out. I don't think this is intuitive.

You might also try a Merkur 33C, and again note the blade geometry. It's milder than the classic Gillette. And I have an easy enough time with it. It's not an expensive, popular Merkur. But it's functional and travels great if that's ever an issue.

My neck hair is also horizontal, so I know what you mean. I started shaving in the shower in the '80s, with a Mach3, to make sure the beard hair was fully softened. My SO at the time also required a BBS face, and ATG was the only way.

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I've struggled with DE wetshaving and I'm tempted to give up and revert to the Mach 3 (sacrilege, I know). So I'm looking for advice on what to change.

By way of background, I switched to DE wetshaving to find a more environmentally friendly, more ethical and less expensive way of shaving. (I was perfectly happy with the Mach 3 shaves I had before.) I have a light beard and seem to have sensitive skin.

I've been using a Gillette Super Speed flare for about 5 months now. I've mainly used the one shaving cream. I've had trouble finding a blade I'm happy with - I quite like Derbys because they're gentle but after a shave or two they seem to drag. Dorcos last better but cause a bit more irritation. Other blades are too irritating.

The problem is that I can't get a satisfactorily close shave unless I shave ATG, but that pass creates irritation. Even if I do shave ATG and risk the irritation, the shave is not perfectly smooth. My neck is also problematic because the grain mostly runs horizontally (each side pointing towards my adam's apple) and so WTG and ATG passes are almost impossible because of the curvature of my neck. That leaves XTG but that doesn't give me a good enough shave.

By way of comparison, I get perfect shaves from even a blunt Mach 3. No irritation whatever direction I shave - the cartridge has a wonderful way of distinguishing between hair and skin.

I have a Gillette Slim coming so I will see if adjusting to a milder setting helps. I'm also aware of the usual pressure and angle advice, but I think those aspects are as good as I can get them at the moment. I'd be grateful for any advice on what else to try. Thanks!

Honestly it's about what's best for you. Cartridges irritated my face and yielded poor results, and I shaved with various multiblade equipment for about 40 years. That's what lead to double edge razors, they solved my problem. Try the Gillette Slim and if the Mach III still gives you the closest, most comfortable shaves, don't feel bad about it. I gave up multiblade razors as a practical matter. I don't expect anyone else to do anything different. At the end of the day it's what's best for you.

5 months is a decent apprenticeship. If it doesn't work for you it's no big deal. You might find the Slim a better proposition and if you have no luck in the end at least you tried.

5 months, same razor, same soap. Tried blade samplers too. Honestly, you've done what we suggest as "best practice" as well as mapping your beard so kudos to you for that!

The fact you achieve zero irritation with a Mach 3 however also tells me you can do the same with a DE and a blade and gives the lie to your claim of sensitive skin (sorry mate, tough love). Part of me is still feeling it's technique - those super-light plastics teach us some very bad habits and muscle memory is a bugger to overcome...

Hope the Slim works for you. I'd try some of those blades you've discounted again but in the adjustable - you may just surprise yourself.

I'm willing to bet it's the angle and too much pressure on the blade issue.

The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. This post may help you. Also, take a look at this wiki.

As for blade angle here is a good post that may help you.

Good luck.

Try the Gillette Slim and if the Mach III still gives you the closest, most comfortable shaves, don't feel bad about it. I gave up multiblade razors as a practical matter. I don't expect anyone else to do anything different. At the end of the day it's what's best for you.

This.

Ww

I use a Mach 3 / Sensor on my adam's apple area at times, but as I get more experience with the DE I find myself using it less and less. Easier to get a close shave in that area though, especially when I am testing a new blade.

Don't give up yet... DE shaving is just so much more rewarding than the Mach 3. I know for sure I'm getting better shaves with the DE but there's nothing wrong if you have to keep the cart around for the neck. I'll always have a cart of some kind around for body hair so I'm sure they'll get used for travel, etc.

The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. This post may help you. Also, take a look at this wiki.

Good luck.

+1. Sounds like unrealized pressure is the culprit. With the curvature of the neck it is easy to apply pressure.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B; and I hope you stay. Have you tried zero pressure with your fingers just cradling the razor? That was the trick for me and it took me weeks to figure it out. Just barely skim the lather off your face. It works; hang in there. BTW, my first couple weeks of wet shaving were bloody messes. I shaved at night and healed-up when I slept; otherwise, I would have ruined $2k of dress shirts. It will get better with time as you learn from each shave. Best wishes.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the advice. I guess I will keep working on the pressure and angle - some of those razor grip pages look helpful. And I’ll also see how the Slim (and all the different blades in it) work out. Hopefully I’ll yet master it! Thanks again.

Might sound a little strange, but try shaving with your non-dominant hand.
That helped me when learning to shave again, had always used my dominant hand and switching to the opposite one made me stop and think carefully about what i was doing.
If it doesn't work, nothing really lost but a little time.
At the end of the day, if the M3 works better for you then no shame in admitting it.
It is your shave, do what is best for you, there is still shaving creams, soap, brushes, etc for all your AD needs.

Good luck.

Thanks for posting the blade angle thread, ackvil. Very helpful indeed.

I'm in my first few days of this DE method - a fun obsession!

I started wth a Lord L6. it was sooo smooth, and easy... then after a few months of shaving with the L6 I tried a gillette fatboy, and had neck irritation since its an adjustable I tried many settings, with neck irritation... then I tried a ball end tech (I was lucky to score a nice vintage lot of razors at an estate sale). I got some nice super close shaves without irritation again.. my point is maybe you need another razor, or a different creme/soap. I really like the C.O. bigelow that you can get at bath and body works.

Don't give up. I have sensitive skin and very coarse whiskers. I found the cartridge razors tore my face up and provided me with a good case of ingrown hairs. They have disappeared with my switch to DE shaving.

However, YMMV. Use what works for you. Even if you use a Mach 3, try it with the traditional shaving soaps and I still think you'll see an improvement.

Cheers!

Might sound a little strange, but try shaving with your non-dominant hand.
That helped me when learning to shave again, had always used my dominant hand and switching to the opposite one made me stop and think carefully about what i was doing.
If it doesn't work, nothing really lost but a little time.
At the end of the day, if the M3 works better for you then no shame in admitting it.
It is your shave, do what is best for you, there is still shaving creams, soap, brushes, etc for all your AD needs.

this is good advice, IMO. You will have to take your time and really pay attention. It is also a good brain workout to use your non dominant side.

Top Bottom