What's new

Give me some suggestions on a good Rum Bay AS

Title says it all, I want to find the "perfect" rum bay to add to my newly started AS collection. Thanks in advance.

I like the Ogallala BR. Especially the Bay Rum and Sandlewood. I ordered a sample pack that included 2 oz bottles of 4 different aftershaves and 1 cologne. I think it was like $17 for the set.

There is a great deal of variety in Bay Rum after shaves, as well as different tastes. So it depends on what you are looking for. There is a thread, maybe more than one, that summarizes many that are available. But here is what I know.

Clubman is regarded as the classic. I haven't used it and so don't have anything to say.

Masters is an inexpensive alternative. Not great, and not bad. I remember it has glycerine in it, and I learned I don't like the residue feel.

Ogallala is very good, and an example of a Bay Rum with heavy spicy fragrances. You will smell like pumpkin pie, all day, which could be good if that is what you want. Ogallala also gives a warm "burn" that slowly builds and them subsides. It isn't an alcohol sting, but a hotness from the spices.

Dominica is a classic, simple Bay Rum. Ingredients are water, alcohol, and Bay tree leaf oil. I see a lot of guys saying it burns or stings, but I suspect that is alcohol sting on razor burn. It doesn't sting on me. This is my favorite. It is a simple, light fragrance that doesn't linger. It doesn't leave a greasy or sticky residue, dries clean. And I think it is good for my skin, seems to keep it clearer. But if you are looking for a stronger, spicier fragrance then you probably wouldn't want this one.

There are others, many others.

OK-I use these three.

1. Krampert's Bay Rum Acadian Spice
2. Captain's Choice Bay Rum
3. Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

I like the Ogallala BR. Especially the Bay Rum and Sandlewood. I ordered a sample pack that included 2 oz bottles of 4 different aftershaves and 1 cologne. I think it was like $17 for the set.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't really care for Bay Rum scents in general, but I will say that Dominica would have to be my choice out of the ones I have used, closely followed by CC CO9T. I've tried Ogallala a few times, and I found that it had an excessively cloying vanilla-cinnamon smell, to my nose at least. I will admit, however, that I am curious about some of their varied Bay Rums, especially the Lime and Sandalwood BR's. I can say that Captains Choice is the heavier of my two picks, and last much longer. Dominica is very light and clean, and doesn't linger more than an hour on me (which may be why I prefer it). In the end, it matters not what other suggest; but a sampler pack or two and figure out what works with your taste and your body chemistry.

Barclay Crocker offers some great samplers so you can try many before you take the plunge. And while there are some great ones just remember there is also some bad to go with all that greatness!

I have tried several Bay Rums and almost all of them are great smelling. The only one that remains in use in my den is Bootlegger's (equal parts Pinaud, Master's and Superior 70 mixed together).

+1 for Pinaud's Virgin Island Bay Rum. Some guys don't like the heavy clove. I firmly believe that great shaving products don't have to cost an arm and leg. My last 12 oz. bottle was $10.50.

Top Bottom