What's new

Give me an alternative cooling solution!

Hello Gents,

I am requesting your wisdom and recommendations please.

In my quest for shaving, or more accurately post-shave nirvana I have discovered I quite like the soothing effects of minty products on my face after a good shave.:biggrin:

I recently obtained some Proraso pre-post cream in a recent order from classicshaving but after a couple of uses have had to come to the sad conclusion it is not for me.:frown:

Even when using the smallest amount (I'm talking my fingertips barely touching the cream here) and spreading thinly on top of a wetted face, I find my face is quite oily by about 10am.

To test this theory I have used a different combo this morning and my face, while moisturized, is not oily.

This is of course, a total bummer as I loved the minty zing of the Proraso!:frown:

Are there some other aftershave balms that will meet my needs? I have, of course done a 'wee-bit of searching' and can see a couple that I think may fit the description.

I am a little unsure of the CAR Peppermint before you all give that the big thumbs up, is it not a thick cream as per Proraso? It's also hideously expensive!:mad:

Over to you my fine friends and purveyors of all things truly shaveworthy!:biggrin:

Also, feel free to make an offer to me for my almost unused tub of Proraso!

Scotto said:
Baxters ASB. Fantastic stuff - cooling and just the right amount of moisture. Inexpensive, too.

I knew that would be the other one that came up apart from CAR!!:wink:

See my other thread for any possibility of a trade.

Hey Andy, Proraso makes an aftershave balm as well so you might want to try that. I never used it myself, but I'd think it would not be as oily as the Pre shave.

Also, if Will G ever recovers from his surgery complications (poor guy!), he offers a Peppermint aftershave, which is VERY cool. It is so cold on my face it actually feels hot.

Ditto on the Baxter's. Absolutely love the effect.

The Proraso "Dopobarba" Liquid After Shave Cream is good too. No greasy kid stuff on your face. More like a talc feeling. No minty sting though

Thanks guys. Seems like Will G's is out of the question for the moment.

Where can I get Baxters?

woodbane said:
Thanks guys. Seems like Will G's is out of the question for the moment.

Where can I get Baxters?

Andy,

Charles carries it at QED.

I use the Baxter's frequently in my rotation, I really enjoy the cooling effect. Nothing wakes you up on a cold Chicago winter morning more than QED Patchouli Tea Tree and Peppermint folowed by some Baxter's ASB.

Kevin

Cheers Lads!:biggrin: Don't suppose anyone wants to trade for some Proraso pre/post as per my other thread do they?:tongue:

Andy,

Don't give up on the Proraso just yet. For $3-$4, buy yourself some talc (you can usually find Pinaud Talc at a pharmacy). After you have allowed the Proraso to dry on your face, lightly dust yourself with the talc. This should prevent you from getting the oily buildup until much later in the day.

Kyle said:
Andy,

Don't give up on the Proraso just yet. For $3-$4, buy yourself some talc (you can usually find Pinaud Talc at a pharmacy). After you have allowed the Proraso to dry on your face, lightly dust yourself with the talc. This should prevent you from getting the oily buildup until much later in the day.

Thanks Kyle, I actually did give the Proraso another try the other day and literally just touched my fingertips onto the cream before rubbing into my face (the "cream" is actually a lot more solid than I thought it would be, is this usual?). It seemed to work much better and I wasn't nearly as oily by late morning as the times before, actually pretty close to 'normal' I would say.

So, I'm thinking it was a definitely a case of using too much, even though those first two times I thought I was using a tiny amount.

I used it again this morning after my first Futur shave, it almost doesn't look like there is anything on my fingertips after I touch them to the cream, but I get a little tingle on my face so I'm guessing it's there! At this rate of usage I still anticipate I'll be 'finger dipping' my Proraso until 2008!:biggrin:

Andy,

Glad to hear that you've worked the issue out.

Oddly, I find myself using the pre/post more and more lately. It's not really a conscious decision; it just keeps happening.

Cheers Kyle, I hope you managed to get that small leakage sorted out per this thread! I suggested a possible solution for you! :lol:

Top Bottom