What's new

GIT vs. Cool Water - Interesting Article

Good article. I've tried GIT, and this article convinced me to try Cool Water.

I've read that vintage Cool Water is superior to new formula but the article mentions both are top notch. Interesting.

Bryan Ross is an excellent blogger. His opinions are always well written and informative. I only wish I had the ability to pick apart what I smell as well as he.

A fun read, thank you. I wore both for a year and in then end dropped Cool Water and kept GIT. Cool Water is a good frag, great for the price and one can't deny they share some DNA.

True - in common with the writer of the article, I too have never had a compliment or any positive comment from wearing Green Irish Tweed.

On the other hand, I've never had one from wearing Cool Water either, because I'm no longer fond of it and very rarely wear it.
Regards,
Renato

Very good read. I splurged on a bottle of GIT about a year ago after sampling a ton of scents including Cool Water. The bargain hunter in me was hoping to like Cool Water just as well and initially I did, but after wearing each a # of times I kept leaning towards GIT....my wife really didn't care much for either lol. For me, Cool Water smells far better initially, but I prefer GIT as it dries down. I like that GIT is longer lasting as well. It's 4:30 now and I can still catch hints of it whereas CW would have been done hours ago. Unfortunately for me the only compliments I ever got were for scents which my wife absolutely hated, but I also don't think I wear enough that anyone can smell it without being very close to me. My wife is part bloodhound and she can't smell whatever fragrance I have on without hugging me. I thought I might regret spending what I did, but I'm still using that bottle and enjoying it and I can always get some Cool Water when it's gone.

The first time I got at GIT sample I thought it smelled exactly like Cool Water. I was able to take advantage of a deal from Walgreens of all places to acquire a 4 oz bottle of GIT for under $120 shipped. After wearing for awhile you will begin to realize how much more natural GIT smells and how much more depth is in the notes. I recently smelled Cool Water and while on the initial spray I could pick up what smelled very similar to my GIT it was very synthetic and linear. I would say for the average joe who isn't a fragrance aficianado Cool Water is fine. If your goal is simply to smell good and get a few compliments Cool Water gets the job done. Most ladies aren't going to be looking for natural vs synthetic. But if you have a fragrance wardrobe and are a collector it is absolutely worth investing in a bottle of GIT.

This is a great read, but to my nose these two don't smell alike. Granted my scent palate is not the most refined, but I'd never mistake these two for each other. Surely I'm not the only one?

This is a great read, but to my nose these two don't smell alike. Granted my scent palate is not the most refined, but I'd never mistake these two for each other. Surely I'm not the only one?

You are not alone. I do smell the similarity but I would definitely be able to tell the difference. Cool Water to me has a very sharp alcohol blast upon initial spray and even as it drys down has a wet/metallic vibe. GIT is much more refined and has a greener more organic fresh smell.

After reading countless articles arguing this way and that w/r/t Cool Water smelling just like GIT with only higher quality ingredients to distinguish the two, I've decided to stick with CW.... after all, I bought the 6.7oz @ a deep discount...like $25 all told. I see no need to spend $250+ on 3.4oz of "Similar to CW but better"

Guys, Pierre Bourdan was the nose behind GIT. He is also the creator of Cool Water. It is no coincidence that they smell alike. It is also no coincidence that GIT is of much better construction relative to pretty much the entire Creed range. And it is true that GIT uses higher quality ingredients compared to CW, but not $200+ better. :001_rolle

Know that the current REFORMULATED Cool Water as made by Coty smells like swamp water compared to the original formulation. The original formulation has the name Davidoff in script & not in block letters.

Know that the current REFORMULATED Cool Water as made by Coty smells like swamp water compared to the original formulation. The original formulation has the name Davidoff in script & not in block letters.

Respectfully disagree. The current smells more like GIT than the original to my nose, the Davidoff formula is very busy and lacks the smoothness, although most of the old vintages I've tried were stale - CW is one frag that doesn't seem to keep. Current Coty has a five second initial harshness that passes and leaves something quite nice on me.

Top Bottom