What's new

Ginault Watch review/rant (long)

A639CFFD-D393-4F59-A769-E0F89DD218B6.jpeg

On June 24 of last year, after much time spent reading reviews and comments about Ginault watches, I decided to treat myself, take the plunge and order one of their Ocean Rover models, specifically a 180165C1LN. It was ordered and paid for with the understanding that it needed to me made, and would take several weeks to be assembled, calibrated and shipped. No problem, this was the watch I really wanted, they were offering 22% discount at that time, I liked the looks (Rolex Submariner homage) and felt it would be worth the wait. Paying it off over 6 months no interest through PayPay was a bonus as well.

In late July, my watch shipped and after removing a few links from the band, was wearing a fine timepiece. Amazingly accurate for an automatic. According to the Toolwatch app, no more than +-2 seconds a day. Significantly better than any other automatic I have ever owned (Seikos, Hamilton, Egard, etc). The only watch I have ever owned that was anywhere close, was a Citizen EcoDrive. Plus it looked awesome. As I have stated- this is not my first automatic watch. It was never worn in any type of physical activity. Worn primarily on weekends, or for meetings. A dress watch. It never got wet, or had been abused in any way. Babied if anything. It was not stored on a winder, according to the manufacturers instructions, but left to wind down when not in use, and simply shake it a few times to get the movement started.

On September 27, the watch stopped working. Totally dead. There was resistance manually winding it, and the time and date could be set. Shaking, a few winds on the stem, nothing would start the movement working. I shot an email off to the manufacture, explaining what happened, and asked what I should do. I received a very prompt and apologetic reply stating to send it back in and they would have a look at it. Repair time was listed at about 8 weeks. Return shipping was at my expense.

On November 25, I inquired as to the status of my watch, and was told that repairs were on schedule and should be completed within a week.

On December 6, the watch was back in my hands, again keeping amazingly accurate time. That is until December 9, when the movement completed stopped once again. Another email to the manufacturer, stating that I would prefer a different watch or full refund at this time. Very prompt and apologetic replies on a Sunday, telling me a few things to try to get the movement working once again, which Never happened. I was told my warranty would be extended for an additional 2 years, bringing it up to 3, and to send it back for service- repair time 8 weeks. Again, I paid for return shipping.

On March 14 I emailed the company, stating that I really had enough, and that I wanted either a new replacement watch, or a full refund, preferably the refund. The reply came back that the watch was repaired, and would be sent out. A shipping label was created and number sent to me.

On March 21, according to the USPS, the package associated with the shipping number sent to me still had not been received by them. I again emailed Ginault, stating that the watch obviously was not finished as they said, and demand a full refund and immediate refund. I also initiated a dispute with PayPay, who I had used for payment. There was no reply from the manufacturer. That day, the watch showed as shipped, delivery date of Saturday, March 23.

A watch arrived this afternoon, in working order. I am assuming it is the one I sent in, going by a slight mark by the clasp on the band I know was there, but have noticed a slight scratch in the bezel I don’t remember, but could have been present before I returned it. So far, functioning accurately. However, when the watch was returned to me, it came in a simple, plain cardboard box wrapped in bubble wrap. The original leather styled box, along with all of the original paperwork, included nylon band, screwdriver for adding/removing links, and links I had taken out to fit my wrist were not sent back. This is exactly how I shipped the watch the first time for repairs, and everything was returned to me as sent. I have requested that everything be returned to me, but again no reply from the manufacturer.

The PayPal dispute was almost immediately denied, as the filing date was past the 180 day limit placed on disputes. I appealed this decision, stating that the watch had been in the manufacturers possession since December 12 (USPS tracking, signature required) 171 days after my purchase. The dispute is still open, and has yet to be responded to by Ginault.

So now I’m left with what I feel is a lemon of a watch, from a manufacturer I really want nothing else to do with. I could sell, but in good conscience would need to disclose that it has been at the manufacturer for repairs 5 of the 8 months since I initially received it. Also, without the box and everything that came with it, I’ll be taking even a bigger hit.

So Ginault in a nutshell. A super looking watch. Great when it’s working. Customer service that starts off great, but goes downhill. Just my experience. As with everything else, YMMV.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your troubles with this purchase. The watch is a real looker and I can see why you decided to purchase one. The manufacturer has a lot to answer for in my book as their customer service appears to be very lacking in my book. It should not take that long to repair a watch and test time it and return it to the purchaser. Good luck with the refund.

Sorry to hear about the customer service and watch issues. I believe some watch service centers ask that the original watch box, papers, etc not be sent back as they don't want to track any of it while the watch is on the repair bench. Given what happened the first time sounds like they are capable of tracking it and should have least offered to send you replacement links in case you ever wanted to transfer the watch to someone else.

Mechanical watches can be fragile, my Seiko broke the same as yours and all I was doing was slapping the side of coffee grinder with an open palm. So I would not be totally surprised that a wake up shake might possibly damage the spring. One would not expect the same problem to occur twice but since it failed in only 3 days it sounds like original repair was not done right. Good luck.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Terrible reporting here sorry for this
i wasn't familiar with the brand but did some Google. They were selling then at 50% with YouTube reviews. The few reviews i read dont specify the movement inside. I hope you get a refund but they way you wrote this up it doesn't seen likely. If you get a chance look at cwc cabot watch company for some nice well priced stuff.

Top Bottom