What's new

Gillette's new heated 5-blade razor. Available soon for just $160.

... heated on top of an electric candle warmer.
Is that like one of these?
proxy.php

I find many of them at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for a buck or two.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Is it solid single-wall or hollow and double-wall?

Mine is a mere 0.65 mm thick. The advantage is that it will conduct heat from the water to the lather and brush almost immediately. It doesn't have to "hold" the heat, just pass it through.

That's true. Mine's solid pewter, I think. It does hold heat.

AA

I had one of those goo dispensing electrics. Woo that was a bad shave. Nothing like gooey paste with whisker residue all over your face.
I respect your viewpoint, but I have a completely different take on Gillette. I appreciate King Gillette's contribution to the shaving world, but that was 1903. The company has evolved into something else since then. They've done their best to seize half our paychecks. If it wasn't for the "Shave Club" and "Harry's" we'd all be paying $5 for a cartridge with 19 blades that pivots in 19 directions, vibrates up and down and oh, is heated. I buy their DE blades made in Russia, but I have no love for the company, as they have none for you or me.
The choice to spend $5 on a cartridge or not , depends on how gullible you are. Personally for my self I have used many of the low cost disposables . They work for me at least as good as a DE blade. You can’t blame any company trying to make as much as the public is willing to spend. Gillette also makes less pricey razors , so we do have a choice . Problem is some Americans can be sold almost any new gimmick. This is the American way . I may be playing the devils advocate, so be it.

No offense toward anyone intended. I just feel the company has been playing us for fools for a long time now, and so many of us have been agreeable.

Last edited:
This is no doubt old, but worth revisiting.
Saturday Night Live, George Carlin hosting on October 11, 1975
proxy.php

proxy.php

Just because we may or may not agree with this type of product being introduced into the marketplace, we shouldn't be acting as both the judge and the jury and immediately ridicule its innovation.

Well, Adam, that’s perfectly reasonable. But as far as I can tell, Gillette (after King Gillette sold it) basically invented planned obsolescence and the whole “new ind improved” scam, which was very unreasonable. I shaved with a 1916 Old Type last year, and it was as good or better than any cartridge razor I ever used . . . and Gillette kept changing cartridges, forcing me to buy new razor handles, for most of my adult life. I no longer buy anything with Gillette in the name.

Stick around, pre-bent blades are
The choice to spend $5 on a cartridge or not , depends on how gullible you are. Personally for my self I have used many of the low cost disposables . They work for me at least as good as a DE blade. You can’t blame any company trying to make as much as the public is willing to spend. Gillette also makes less pricey razors , so we do have a choice . Problem is some Americans can be sold almost any new gimmick. This is the American way . I may be playing the devils advocate, so be it.

What I find far more stupid is people who spend 1K on a damn cell phone. To me that's simply insane. I'd even wager a few in this thread mocking the $160 razor have cells that expensive. ;)

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
What ever happened to the laser razor ?
The Skarp Laser Razor: 21st Century Shaving
The first ever razor, powered by a laser. For an irritation free, incredibly close shave.
I'm still waiting for the Gillette AD NAUSEAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Its going to be popular, they already have trial models sold out.

I find it interesting that on the indiegogo page they show lathering with a mug and brush, almost as if they expect people to use those products with this razor?

You never know, but they may even recommend it, which would not be a bad thing.

Here they go again. In 1971 the Trac II was introduced (my first) a truly innovative razor. Over the next 4+ decades the big "G" has increased the amount of blades, added springs, strips, new colors, handles, and power sources all in an effort to find the holy grail. Just recently I see they have a razor with no blades. Huh? Now they are bringing out a newfangled heated shaver. Each to his own but I'm glad I detoured to vintage. To much drama for me. Tomorrow just for the fun of it I'm going to break out my 04 Double Ring and really get the "best a man can get".

Is that like one of these?
proxy.php

I find many of them at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for a buck or two.

Not exactly, but something similar. My shaving bowl is from a mortar and pestle set similar to this one.
https://ii.worldmarket.com/fcgi-bin...rket/source/61331_XXX_v1.tif&wid=650&cvt=jpeg

It has a flat bottom that transfers heat from the candle warmer better than a coffee mug with a rim around the bottom. The inside of the mortar is rough, which is ideal for whipping up a luxurious lather.

A candle warmer is designed to melt wax at a temperature of 110-120 degrees F. That is a nice comfortable temperature for your lather.

The optimal temperature for drinking coffee is somewhat higher than that, somewhere around 136 degrees F. Thus, coffee warmers are designed to operate at a higher temperature than a candle warmer. Thus, for comfort and safety, I recommend purchasing a candle warmer rather than a coffee mug warmer. The one is use is similar to this one by Glade.

proxy.php

Since use of any electrical device in the vicinity of the bathroom sink can be hazardous, be sure to use a properly installed GFCI and test it periodically. B&B forum members are too valuable to lose.

So, one often made comparison of DE vs cartridge system is:

DE - more expensive razor, much cheaper blades
Cartridge - cheaper razor , much more expensive blades

"Aha no problem, we can fix that", says Gillette, "We'll just make a ridiculously expensive razor! Sorted!"

How does a company make a continuous profit making a razor that never wear out, and blades that cost a few cents each? You have to branch out and sell or your out of business. No one is forcing you to buy their latest innovations.
Some that complain about the price of Gillette, will spend more on their DE and S.E. hobby than they would ever with normal shaving.It’s your money , so spend it anyway you prefer.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen a pic of King Gillette and PT Barnum together? Maybe they were alter-egos back in the day, lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A heated razor, for when hot water just isnt enough!

detailing-accessories-electric-heated-razor-scraper-removes-stickers-decals-DA1490.jpg

Now I just need to attach that to my MMOC and I'll be stylin'! lol

Bait and hook, razor and blades, loyalty rewards, cents off gas, etc... all valid and taught business models. Consumerism is real:) Whether you play along is a choice.

Top Bottom