What's new

Gillette's new heated 5-blade razor. Available soon for just $160.

I wasn't active for some time and I comeback and I see this heated razor. Really? No wonder cartridges cost that much. Friend bought an electric shaver the other day for like 10€ with 3 years warranty and Li-on battery.

Another way that I am ‘saving $!!’

I missed this thread and then saw an add for the razor on the screen in the elevator at work. Mind numbing. I guess Gillette is now a real technology company. I can't wait to tell my wife how much money I am saving us. BTW, the Gillette website lists the "product" at $225 and the cartridges are 4 for $25.

As a lukewarm
Well, Adam, that’s perfectly reasonable. But as far as I can tell, Gillette (after King Gillette sold it) basically invented planned obsolescence and the whole “new ind improved” scam, which was very unreasonable. I shaved with a 1916 Old Type last year, and it was as good or better than any cartridge razor I ever used . . . and Gillette kept changing cartridges, forcing me to buy new razor handles, for most of my adult life. I no longer buy anything with Gillette in the name.

The disposable blade offered convenience at a time when mantaining a razor, even a safety razor blade, could be alot of work. Contrary to the popular nostalgia, safety razors were around long before Gillette.

Wilkinson Sword actually brought out the first successful cartridge razor, the Wilkinson Bonded. And the Gillette Techmatic was arguably a kind of cartridge, if not resembling the modern form.

Face it, shaving is a money pit any way you slice it (no pun intended). That some people have decided it's not worth it to acquire the most innovative products is just part of the personal calculus that consumers can make.

I wasn't active for some time and I comeback and I see this heated razor. Really? No wonder cartridges cost that much. Friend bought an electric shaver the other day for like 10€ with 3 years warranty and Li-on battery.

Electric shavers, if they agree with your skin and you're satisfied with the relatively modest results, can be a relatively economical option. Unless you are shaving with Williams and Godrej and that sort of thing, it's hard to beat the price.

Its going to be popular, they already have trial models sold out.

I find it interesting that on the indiegogo page they show lathering with a mug and brush, almost as if they expect people to use those products with this razor?

You never know, but they may even recommend it, which would not be a bad thing.

It's clearly aimed at being a luxury product, and there are alot of luxury-oriented catridge shavers that do use brushes and shave cream.

Lots of comments and discussion.

But...

Has anyone actually tried this razor??

If I had $160 to spend on a razor, it sure as heck wouldn't be this neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie gimcrack whose origins obviously trace back to a Marketing Department.

You want a warm razor? Hold it under your running hot water for a few seconds.

If I was a Gillette executive, I'd be concerned about this growing wet-shaving trend. I'd worry that it would spread like wildfire, as trends can do, and destroy my company. I might appoint some of my co-workers to infiltrate these shaving forums and influence the members' feelings about my company. And if anyone should make a negative comment about Gillette, I might try to make him look foolish. Could this be happening already? Maybe so.

If I had $160 to spend on a razor, it sure as heck wouldn't be this neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie gimcrack whose origins obviously trace back to a Marketing Department.

You want a warm razor? Hold it under your running hot water for a few seconds.

I understand.
But still, any actual triers??

If I was a Gillette executive, I'd be concerned about this growing wet-shaving trend. I'd worry that it would spread like wildfire, as trends can do, and destroy my company. I might appoint some of my co-workers to infiltrate these shaving forums and influence the members' feelings about my company. And if anyone should make a negative comment about Gillette, I might try to make him look foolish. Could this be happening already? Maybe so.

Gillette isn't threatened at all by hobbyists. Their bigger concern is relevance to a new generation of kids that are more isolated from the baby boom generation's cultural context. Gillette marketed to that context successfully and at great profit, but times change. Young people aren't as compelled to shave by social pressures, nor are they as intimidated by threatening their masculinity: Gillette used plenty of "fear" in their ads, after all, "The best a man can get" implies that you are somehow not a real man if you don't use the product. Hence why Gillette was willing to experiment with entirely new ad campaigns.

Furthermore, Gillette is part of Proctor and Gambell, and they actually make good money off the trend through their Art of Shaving products.

Gillette isn't threatened at all by hobbyists. Their bigger concern is relevance to a new generation of kids that are more isolated from the baby boom generation's cultural context. Gillette marketed to that context successfully and at great profit, but times change. Young people aren't as compelled to shave by social pressures, nor are they as intimidated by threatening their masculinity: Gillette used plenty of "fear" in their ads, after all, "The best a man can get" implies that you are somehow not a real man if you don't use the product. Hence why Gillette was willing to experiment with entirely new ad campaigns.

Furthermore, Gillette is part of Proctor and Gambell, and they actually make good money off the trend through their Art of Shaving products.

The Art of Shaving has rarely made that kind of good money off of me! I got my long-handled Progress from them due to a Christmas gift card. And a block of alum, which at $25 was ridiculousness bordering on absurdity.

I rest my case.

The Art of Shaving has rarely made that kind of good money off of me! I got my long-handled Progress from them due to a Christmas gift card. And a block of alum, which at $25 was ridiculousness bordering on absurdity.

Their products are generally good but are not value priced. It's definitely a luxury brand. Alot of their business seems to be gift purchases.

You could generally buy something like Taylor's of Old Bond Street and save yourself alot of money, for sure.

I'm pleased with the way that rinsing my Rockwell 6S in a 1 litre plastic food container of very hot water warms it up; nobody wants icy cold metal applied abruptly to their face, but the point of my plastic container is to

(a) contain that mess, so that there isn't the washbasin from hell to clean up afterwards (it is disposed of down the lavatory), and

(b) not damage the blade. If you shake your razor over-enthusiastically in a ceramic sink, sooner or later you will "ding" the blade, in a way that won't do your face any favours.

OK, let's get back to the point I really wanted to make:

If a blazing hot razor head was something I valued, I would go back to materials technology. I remember sticking thermometers into ingots, in a classroom, this would be the 1970s, and aluminium came out well ahead of the rest, as the metal with a good Specific Heat Capacity

Here's my first attempt at dredging up the numbers online:

If I was really desperate for a stay-hot razor, I think Timeless do an aluminium one.

Well, the notorious heated razor finally made it on the market
proxy.php

In the meantime the price slightly increased to $ 299 :scared:

---------------------------------------------------------------

From the amazon listing:
  • THE PLEASURE OF A HOT TOWEL SHAVE IN EVERY STROKE
  • Wireless Magnetic Charging
  • Adjustable Heat
  • Waterproof
  • Sleek Handle
Product description:
The Heated Razor by GilletteLabs activates and delivers instant warmth in less than one second at the push of a button and provides a noticeably more comfortable shave. Designed in Germany, The Heated Razor features adjustable temperature levels to achieve optimal comfort, and has Gillette’s best blades combined with FlexDisc technology to maintain skin contact in order to give a smooth shave.

The Heated Razor Starter Kit comes with the Heated Razor, magnetic charging dock and plug, and 2 GilleteLabs blade cartridges. When you subscribe, get the starter kit on your first order and receive 4 blades ($25) at your chosen reorder frequency.

Stainless Steel Warming Bar The warming bar heats up in less than a second and distributes even and soothing warmth to the skin. Four intelligent heat sensors consistently maintain even warmth at the chosen temperature through each shaving stroke, while built-in safety features ensure an even and safe level of heat.
Blades 5 blades for incredible comfort.

Gillette’s best blades combined with FlexDisc technology to maintain skin contact in order to give a smooth shave, but also to maximize the heat delivery.

Top Bottom