What's new

Gillette's Latest Innovation Is Removing Blades From Razors

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah. :001_huh: No. :ciappa:

I remember the "Flexball," as well. :a9:The expression "to beclown yourself" is applicable.

AA

For many years Gillette has claimed that more blades is better . What happened for this change? Maybe beyond Fusion razors no more road to go. Time to back to 1971, when TracII was introduced, but this 2018 version is not the same thing, people won't pay more money for a two blades razor that could be the same thing as a Trac II, Gillette has introduce a new two blades head. For that little change, this company wants to sell us a expensive two blade razor.
What does think Gillette about us? We are not idiots for buy a expensive razor not better that a TracII.

Sent from my Huawei P9 Lite using Tapatalk

For many years Gillette has claimed that more blades is better . What happened for this change? Maybe beyond Fusion razors no more road to go. Time to back to 1971, when TracII was introduced, but this 2018 version is not the same thing, people won't pay more money for a two blades razor that could be the same thing as a Trac II, Gillette has introduce a new two blades head. For that little change, this company wants to sell us a expensive two blade razor.
What does think Gillette about us? We are not idiots for buy a expensive razor not better that a TracII.

Sent from my Huawei P9 Lite using Tapatalk

Well, Gillette already ceded the more-blades crown to Dorco long ago (Dorco has 6- and 7-blade models; I can't even imagine how you'd fit the things into tight spaces on the face), presumably because Gillette R&D is finding there's no value-add beyond 5. So they have to do something else altogether. That's why there are all the different versions of the Fusion and now this thing, because in theory with fewer blades scraping the face it ought to be better than the Fusion on sensitive skin. I think it's fair to say that this went through a lot of testing and was found to be good enough to offer as a product for what Gillette considers to be a price high enough to be worth the effort. We'll see if they're right.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Creative!! (This ‘new’ development reflects years of R&D effort!) :a13::a13:
upload_2018-11-9_18-58-40.gif

Creative!! (This ‘new’ development reflects years of R&D effort!) :a13::a13:
I have to admit that this "innovation" seems like what happens when the bean counters get involved. I get the basic idea of making a cart that can fit a Fusion handle. I suspect that the actual cutting edges are just the same ones used in a Fusion cart just hidden behind their technical description. The strange part is the while SkinGuard bar; it seems like there must have been a meeting like this:

Suit 1: Let's take a Fusion cart and remove the middle three blades.
Suit 2: Won't that be dangerous to shave with?
Suit 1: We'll put in another glide bar to make up the difference.
Suit 2: Wow! We'll sell millions!

Seriously, I'd love to see an explanation of the physics which makes this a better sensitive skin solution than, say, a shortened Fusion cartridge using only the lowest two blades with no additional spacer.

I don't have any idea what kind of shave this new concept provides. I do know that, since I started reading modern forums, there have been alot of folks who have spoken out for the Sensor, and Trac II over the the multiblades. I don't know about manufacturing costs, but I doubt it cost any less to make this cartridge than a Fusion 5. For us babyface, folks it might be worth paying a slight premium. If it doesn't sell Gillette will lose their R & D,and promotional monies. Tough luck. You have to take risks to make rewards.

I intend to give it a try. If it works, great! If not I won't buy anymore.

Ron I

I have to admit that this "innovation" seems like what happens when the bean counters get involved. I get the basic idea of making a cart that can fit a Fusion handle. I suspect that the actual cutting edges are just the same ones used in a Fusion cart just hidden behind their technical description. The strange part is the while SkinGuard bar; it seems like there must have been a meeting like this:

Suit 1: Let's take a Fusion cart and remove the middle three blades.
Suit 2: Won't that be dangerous to shave with?
Suit 1: We'll put in another glide bar to make up the difference.
Suit 2: Wow! We'll sell millions!

Seriously, I'd love to see an explanation of the physics which makes this a better sensitive skin solution than, say, a shortened Fusion cartridge using only the lowest two blades with no additional spacer.

Well, I watched the Gillette-made video in the link. The confusing part is, I thought the hysteresis effect required the blades to be close enough together to prevent the hair from retracting back to skin level before the second one cuts it off. This razor has the blades much further apart, but still shows a hysteresis effect. I mean, I would have to assume that this razor does its job otherwise the guys they bring in to test products would have received worse shaves than whatever they were A-B comparing against. Very strange. I guess with the right kind of testing, you can prove anything you want to. :biggrin1:

The more blades a razor has , logically the more drag it would have . But this new 2 blade razor is for the gullible. The price is ridiculous, and I wouldn’t consider throwing my money away.

Well, I watched the Gillette-made video in the link. The confusing part is, I thought the hysteresis effect required the blades to be close enough together to prevent the hair from retracting back to skin level before the second one cuts it off. This razor has the blades much further apart, but still shows a hysteresis effect. I mean, I would have to assume that this razor does its job otherwise the guys they bring in to test products would have received worse shaves than whatever they were A-B comparing against. Very strange. I guess with the right kind of testing, you can prove anything you want to. :biggrin1:
I need to watch the video, but I suspect that what is happening is that the SkinGuard is acting as something like an unsharpened third blade. First blade pulls and cuts, SkinGuard continues to stretch/hold the whisker out, and the second blade slices it off before it snaps back.

I'm reminded a bit of the video that was floating around a while back where they used a microscope to video a five-blade cartridge shaving a whisker. As I recall, it ended up looking like a cross between the classic Trac II animation and the scene in "Airplane!" where the people line up to slap a hysterical passenger.

Now, they just need to put it all together in one package with the Flexball, the Power, and the heated guides. And a light... gotta have a light...

I need to watch the video, but I suspect that what is happening is that the SkinGuard is acting as something like an unsharpened third blade. First blade pulls and cuts, SkinGuard continues to stretch/hold the whisker out, and the second blade slices it off before it snaps back.

I'm reminded a bit of the video that was floating around a while back where they used a microscope to video a five-blade cartridge shaving a whisker. As I recall, it ended up looking like a cross between the classic Trac II animation and the scene in "Airplane!" where the people line up to slap a hysterical passenger.

Now, they just need to put it all together in one package with the Flexball, the Power, and the heated guides. And a light... gotta have a light...

Please don’t give them any new ideas ! But the fact is you are probably right , the next generation will have some of these so called innovations.

The pendulum swings back and forth. Pretty soon it will all come back to using straight razors. A skill I have never mastered in my 50 years of shaving. I will stick with my DE razors and laugh at them that buy into this craziness!

Id be intersted to see what price point these come in at. If they come in at the same price as the Mach 3, Id be all about it as a travel razor. No one is going to pay more for less blades though, unless their plan is to just phase out the Mach 3.

Top Bottom