What's new

Gillette's latest and greatest expensive gimmick

Just had an advert pop up on Facebook for the latest Gillette product...

1588675895164.png
1588675919204.png

For a mere £215, you can get the feeling of a hot towel shave with a heated Fusion (?). Replacement blade cartridges start at a very reasonable £5.75 per cartridge...

Even people that enjoy shaving with a cartridge razor surely look at this and think, "or I could apply a hot towel before I shave and save a bunch of cash"

Yea, it's kinda dumb. One thing I'll give them is that on the product page they say something along the lines of "an ultra premium product for the most discerning customers" or something like that so atleast they understand there will be a very small group who use this device.

I will say this... Many regular cartridge shavers (including many right here on B&B) swear they get a better, closer shave when using a mach 3 or fusion handle that vibrates vs a regular 'stick' handle so maybe their is something to this.

I'd never buy it, even if I was a cartridge guy.

How long has it been on the market? I haven’t even seen one on the shelf. It must be selling like hot cakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has it been on the market? I haven’t even seen one on the shelf. It must be selling like hot cakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not for sale in 'normal' stores like target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. AOS may have them but I'm not sure. It's mostly, if not entirely, online.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just watched their video for the product. The newness and marketing got my attention. It looks cool too. But then i came to my senses. Im done with carts. And $200 doesn't help. I wonder how warm the save really is with the warming strip? The head and blades are not warm so its all from the strip at the base. Hopefully someone will post a review.

I’m not the target market for this—zero interest when I have a nice scuttle that warms my lather nicely. But based on all the razors like Timeless, CG, Rex, OneBlade, etc. there seems to definitely be a market for pricey razors.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am sure I had a demo of this in a brick and mortar store, maybe AOS, in the USA when I was on holiday there in September 2019. To be fair it felt quite nice but it is of zero interest to me as it is from Gillette, it is an overpriced and over engineered product that serves no real purpose, and it is not vintage. Maybe I am not discerning enough, or perhaps my masculinity is too toxic. Fine by me.

Just had an advert pop up on Facebook for the latest Gillette product...

View attachment 1096093View attachment 1096094

For a mere £215, you can get the feeling of a hot towel shave with a heated Fusion (?). Replacement blade cartridges start at a very reasonable £5.75 per cartridge...

Even people that enjoy shaving with a cartridge razor surely look at this and think, "or I could apply a hot towel before I shave and save a bunch of cash"
Their marketing seems to espouse P. T. Barnum's old adage, "There is a sucker born every minute."

Yea, it's kinda dumb. One thing I'll give them is that on the product page they say something along the lines of "an ultra premium product for the most discerning customers" or something like that so atleast they understand there will be a very small group who use this device.

I will say this... Many regular cartridge shavers (including many right here on B&B) swear they get a better, closer shave when using a mach 3 or fusion handle that vibrates vs a regular 'stick' handle so maybe their is something to this.

I'd never buy it, even if I was a cartridge guy.

Yes, nothing against regular cartridge shavers, I just fail to see how they can justify £215 for a razor that gives you "the feeling of a hot towel shave" when people can just use a hot towel to shave or dip the blade in hot water.

I just watched their video for the product. The newness and marketing got my attention. It looks cool too. But then i came to my senses. Im done with carts. And $200 doesn't help. I wonder how warm the save really is with the warming strip? The head and blades are not warm so its all from the strip at the base. Hopefully someone will post a review.

Yes, I wonder how warm it is, especially compared to the much cheaper option or dipping your blade in hot water between strokes. Maybe its cheaper for folk boiling Fijian bottle water or similar over priced water for each shave 😂

I just dip my razor in hot water once in a while.

Agreed, thankfully it's a lot cheaper than this razor! Although, I am sure Gillette are wondering how to charge £215 for that very way of shaving!

Top Bottom