What's new

Gillette's Facebook site

A few minutes ago, I received an email from Gillette that brought me to their Facebook site

It's probably known to you, but it's new to me. I found the information in their timeline interesting.

FWIW, here is a link to it.

Apparently, it's their 100th Anniversary. I found the site's historical timeline interesting.

Last edited:
LOL. I had a chance to explore the site a little more.

OTHER than the Timeline (and to be truthful, the older stuff mainly), the site is pretty typical Faccebook BS.

So I guess Gillette should be recognized for its longevity, if not for its complete and utter disregard for the needs and interest of the shaving community during the past four decades. Shame on you, Gillette. With your endless resources, you coulda been a contender. You exist as an embarrassment to the pioneers who went before you.

As Gilda Radner used to say: "Never mind." :blush:

********​

I posted this on their site: "I guess Gillette should be recognized for its longevity, if not for its complete and utter disregard for the needs and interest of the shaving community during the past four decades. Shame on you, Gillette. With your endless resources, you coulda been a contender. You exist as an embarrassment to the pioneers who went before you." It's 4:00 PM. I wonder if the post will be there tomorrow?

Last edited:
To the men like us on B&B Gillette may have complete and utter disregard, but don't forget, they are a for profit company. They just want to sell product. For the majority of men shaving is a chore, and something they want to do quickly. To that end Gillette is succesful. If they thought they could make money selling products to traditional wetshavers, they would.

To the men like us on B&B Gillette may have complete and utter disregard, but don't forget, they are a for profit company. They just want to sell product. For the majority of men shaving is a chore, and something they want to do quickly. To that end Gillette is succesful. If they thought they could make money selling products to traditional wetshavers, they would.

If I thought they'd maybe post some cool stuff (I don't know old manuals? Info they have that could help us?) I would be interested, but I doubt they would do squat for us.

You're right, they probably won't. It's unfortunate that Gillette forgets that they have a pretty nice history.

So I guess Gillette should be recognized for its longevity, if not for its complete and utter disregard for the needs and interest of the shaving community during the past four decades. Shame on you, Gillette. With your endless resources, you coulda been a contender. You exist as an embarrassment to the pioneers who went before you.

You're right, they probably won't. It's unfortunate that Gillette forgets that they have a pretty nice history.

Au contraire. Gillette is following the exact same business model it has for the last, oh, 100 or so years. You think we NEEDED all those new models every few years? You think there was any significant improvement in their razors' performance over time? Absolutely not - they rolled out new products all the time for the express purpose of fleecing the consumer of out more and more money.

Just because you like the aesthetic of metal razors over plastic ones doesn't mean that Gillette wasn't playing you the whole time.

Gillette..."The best a man can get?" How about "The quickest a man can get" while committing financial rape to the uninformed consumers? I like the honesty of it.
Oh yeah...someone mentioned something about a Facebook page for them? LOL

Au contraire. Gillette is following the exact same business model it has for the last, oh, 100 or so years. You think we NEEDED all those new models every few years? You think there was any significant improvement in their razors' performance over time? Absolutely not - they rolled out new products all the time for the express purpose of fleecing the consumer of out more and more money.

Just because you like the aesthetic of metal razors over plastic ones doesn't mean that Gillette wasn't playing you the whole time.

+1

You know how much a pack of razor blades was in the 60's? $1.79. Guess what, thats how much the fusion carts cost today. They were "hosing" people back then too

Gillette wasn't any different 100 years ago or 50 years ago than it is today. They still make a disposable product. So I know what some of you are thinking. Well, my ____ razor is built to last compared to the fusion. Well, yea, thats true, but your blades are still disposable. Instead, Gillette took people away from straights. And those weren't disposable at all. 1 razor used daily could probably last 30 years.

Yeah I wasn't saying they had a great history as much as that it would be nice if they would just publish documents they have to help the people who are into it, but they probably won't since all they care about are the benjamins.

I'm with westy on this and under no illusion that we few are in a tiny minority.

I'm yet to find anyone else in my circle of friends, family and peers who wet shaves with DE or straight.

At best I'm seen as a curiosity by those who know - at worst a crazy eccentric happy to spend hours a week shaving, talking and writing about shaving and researching and buying shaving related gear.

That's why I'm not surprised at being ignored by the big companies.

I live for the day I actually see a DE razor commercial on tv or one in a magazine with a celebrity endorsing it...just to show the millions of men out there that the fat cats of shaving are not the "Be all-end all" of the shaving world. Ahh just a dream...

I'm with westy on this and under no illusion that we few are in a tiny minority.

I'm yet to find anyone else in my circle of friends, family and peers who wet shaves with DE or straight.

At best I'm seen as a curiosity by those who know - at worst a crazy eccentric happy to spend hours a week shaving, talking and writing about shaving and researching and buying shaving related gear.

That's why I'm not surprised at being ignored by the big companies.

Takes less research, while you can sometimes get VDH brush and soap, you can rarely get a decent razor from any brick and mortar shop. Being that our products are mostly sold online, we are TINY.

A few months back, Gillette's Facebook page had a thing where they asked members to post pics of their Gillette products. Severals B&B members "bombed" the page with DE pics, enough to get the Gillette FB graemlin's attention. But make no mistake....to the vast majority of men who shave today, we're a bunch of yahoos.

I think there is more of us DE shavers out there than we really think.Almost every time I go to Wally World,I see the Wilki DE blades sold out.
And its also about time and convenience as well in this age of rushing out the door in the morning as fast as possible.Some would rather pay $20 for a pack of carts where all they have to do is quickly apply goo from a can on their face,and run 4 blades against their skin and be out on their way.Im already over a month of DE shaving and already can shave with it almost as fast as I did with a Mach 3 and a can of Edge.I see no huge time difference between rubbing a green gel on my face until it turns into foam versus stirring a soapy brush in a cup to create lather.
Gillette,like any other company wants to make profits,which includes over kill 4 blade vibrating razors and expensive carts.

I have only one word for Gillette and that's 'Kodak' :a50:they thought they were sitting pretty too once upon a time.

You guys just wait a decade or so.
After the "10 bladed, spinning solar powered contraption" they come out with gets old, they will "introduce" a revolutionary 1 bladed shaving system. And the blade has 2 sharp sides so it is more cost effective. They will probably develop a special "revolutionary shaving cream" that is environmentally friendly, and doesn't have propellants that dry out your skin. There will be a different kind of cream for each pass of the new shaving system. Because a 4 pass shaving method will be "scientifically" proven to yield a superior shave.
And it will probably be applied with an advanced tool that took aeons and millions to develop. A brush.

The same thing is happening with sport shoes. The manufacturers are ditching all of the cushioning and arch support and all of that BS and going back to minimalistic flexible shoes, because it's supposedly a "new" thing.
Let the sheeple buy it,. They don't know any better, and they probably aren't interested in looking into this stuff and forming their own opinions.

I think there is more of us DE shavers out there than we really think.Almost every time I go to Wally World,I see the Wilki DE blades sold out.
And its also about time and convenience as well in this age of rushing out the door in the morning as fast as possible.Some would rather pay $20 for a pack of carts where all they have to do is quickly apply goo from a can on their face,and run 4 blades against their skin and be out on their way.Im already over a month of DE shaving and already can shave with it almost as fast as I did with a Mach 3 and a can of Edge.I see no huge time difference between rubbing a green gel on my face until it turns into foam versus stirring a soapy brush in a cup to create lather.
Gillette,like any other company wants to make profits,which includes over kill 4 blade vibrating razors and expensive carts.

It definitely takes me longer now vs. canned goo and a cart, but I like it. I have 15-20 mins in the morning to pamper myself and my face. That's infinitely more valuable than the 10 extra minutes I saved before the switch.

Top Bottom