What's new

Gillette Wilkinson Sword

Today I loaded up a Gillette Wilkinson Sword into my Ikon B1 Standard and have to say that it was a nice combo of sharp and smooth. It actually threw me off a little bit and I ended up with a few nicks. Which is my own fault. I’ll have to go through the rest of the pack and get more used to them. But if they keep shaving like this they might become a blade that joins the top of the pack. I might possibly even get a 100 pack of them especially considering that they seem to be nicely priced too.

They are a nice blade. Before you order more, check your tuck to see if yours are made in India or China & order accordingly.
Good call. I’m out of town for the weekend and will have to check when I get back home. I’m pretty sure they’re the ones from China. Is there any real differences between the two?

For me the China made are way superior....

Amazon, had a lot of negative reviews of people getting China instead of India....so I ordered.....and of course: I got the India boxes.......:em1500::crazy::mad2:
I’ll have to keep an eye out for that if the Indian ones are that bad. Because these were kind of a surprise blade for me. I wasn’t expecting much going in and was kind of pleasantly surprised by them.

Reactions: Kix
I’ve gone through about 15 or so of the India Gillette Wilkinson Swords and find them outstanding. They may not last as long as a Nacet, but they seem similarly sharp and smooth while they do last.

Reactions: Kix
I actually prefer the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades from India over the Chinese version. Both versions seem very similar in performance to me but the blades from India seem slightly smoother. However they are so close it is a minimal difference.

I bought 100 for $6.35(India) from the big river site recently. First shave is not good at all. Not sharp and tugging. Not smooth too. The purpose of second shave was simply to confirm the poor quality but it was a surprise. Feel like it became a totally different brand. Although not as sharp as the feather, it cut almost as easy as a fresh personna platinum. 3rd shave was similar to the 2nd. Sharpness dropped obviously in the 4th shave just like my feather/personna/kcg. I'll try another fresh blade soon. If the result is similar (1st bad, 2nd-4th good), I may cork this blade before the first use.

Wilkinson Swords can be made in Germany, India, China, and some of the older tucks could be British. The German made blades seem the sharpest, and those from India a little smoother and less sharp. (German blades are usually in a black plastic container, the India blades are usually white or sold in a Saloon pack, if that makes it easier to identify). Not sure about the Chinese blades, not having had one cross my path.

The British made blades were black, and I believe are not out of production. - Sadly, those were probably the best Wilkinson Sword blades, which lasted seemingly forever, with a great sharp/smooth mix, with their triple coating, at least for me.

I have the Indian GWS blades in the 110-pack and find them to be a great middle-sharpness blade. At a nickel a piece, they are a great value too. Funny, I had heard the Indian blades were better, so was happy when I got those.

I've been using them when I try a new razor, before putting in a sharper blade. My hope is they are more forgiving as I figure out the angles and behavior of an unknown tool.

The German Wilkinsons are great, but the India / china ones are $.05 a piece.
I get this. I too like the German Wilikies but am always looking for bargain blades. That said, neither the Chinese nor Indian Wilkies was acceptable to me at any price. Granted, my technique at the time was lacking, but they were worse on my face than other blades I tried around the same time.

I’ve usually always got the German Wilkinson Sword blades just because that that’s what was at the store and easily obtainable at a decent price. I found a generic set of blades and KCG blades at Walgreens. But both are fairly pricey. But have heard decent things about the KCG blades. The only thing holding me back is that they’re like around almost 6 bucks a 10 pack if I remember right. Which is a little high. But I got a decent amount of the German blades still maybe I’ll have take out a blade or two to try again since I haven’t used them in a while.

My strict vote goes to the chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Sharp, very smooth from shave two or three and on - with excellent longevity.

I'm not saying the indian made Gillette Wilkinson Sword are slouches, they are just different in their characteristic (milder blades).

If I'm not mistaken the German made Wilkinson Sword are produced by Edgewell. There is no "Gillette" (Procter & Gamble) labeled on the packaging.

Happy shaves!

They are a nice blade. Before you order more, check your tuck to see if yours are made in India or China & order accordingly.
David,

I am currently using the Wilkinson Sword blade(s) you sent me in the 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable Phil (luvmysuper) sent. This is a great combination. (on the #3 setting I get a great shave without razor burn). I wonder how it will be with the Gillette Platinum blades (made in Russia). :001_smile

David,

I am currently using the Wilkinson Sword blade(s) you sent me in the 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable Phil (luvmysuper) sent. This is a great combination. (on the #3 setting I get a great shave without razor burn). I wonder how it will be with the Gillette Platinum blades (made in Russia). :001_smile
Part of the enjoyment of this hobby is trying various blades in our razors & learning to distinguish the nuances of the different blades. Enjoy the discovery process, Scott!

Haven’t tried the China Swords. Really like the German Wilkinson and use those frequently. Never cared much for the Indian Wilkinsons.

I am eyeing these at less than $0.09 per blade, they just may be worth the purchase.

GILLETTE WILKINSON SWORD DOUBLE EDGE BLADES EXTRA FINE & SHARP- 100% ORIGINAL

You will receive 110 GILLETTE WILKINSON BLADES. These blades will fit Any Standard Double Edge Safety Razor.

• High-Quality Stainless Steel PLATINUM COATED Blades.
  • Treated with Platinum for smooth shaves and longer life.
  • Each razor blade is individually wrapped in wax paper.
  • Extremely Sharp double edge razor blades.
  • 100% Original Product from Gillette India Limited.
  • Packaging may be Different Depending on the Stock.
  • These blades are a high-quality product at an unbelievable price!!!
  • These blades will deliver a super close and comfortable shave every time. They are among the sharpest blades.

Top Bottom