What's new

Gillette, what a pity...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The regular Gillettes don't have such inravings. I'm no expert, but this was definitely a custom made razor for someone. I've seen some Old Type style, NEW Deluxe and New Improved custom made razors made for special costumers. Some were made from sterling silver.

This is a custom made New Improved full set:

View attachment 1419406
The Cavalier, Somerset, and Algonquin Gillette razors, and possibly others, have such engraving and are regular models as I understand it. They are rare but they are not custom as far as I know.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The regular Gillettes don't have such inravings. I'm no expert, but this was definitely a custom made razor for someone.

No, it was a Gillette model made in both silver and gold plated versions.

1646485317392.png

The Cavalier, Somerset, and Algonquin Gillette razors, and possibly others, have such engraving and are regular models as I understand it. They are rare but they are not custom as far as I know.

True, but they weren't mass market models made for the common folks back then were they and 99% of us have only seen pictures of them on the mr razor website. Besides, no one can prove or disprove whatever Gillette did the engraving or they hired someone else to do it.

No, it was a Gillette model made in both silver and gold plated versions.

View attachment 1419428

It depends how people interpret the meaning of ''custom made''. It's obvious that only the head has an unique pattern, which might have been made by a 3rd party for Gillette for what we know. I guess the Tiffany sterling silver sets can be considered to be custom made as well, but they are totally different story. Besides, none of us is an actual expert on the matter and all our knowledge is based on mainly what we know from mr. razor and without knowing who and how made them we can't know for sure and we can speculate all day long and we still won't get anywhere.

R

romsitsa

The regular Gillettes don't have such inravings. I'm no expert, but this was definitely a custom made razor for someone. I've seen some Old Type style, NEW Deluxe and New Improved custom made razors made for special costumers. Some were made from sterling silver.

This is a custom made New Improved full set:

View attachment 1419406
That is a HAND engraved presentation set done by Gillette.
The Sommerset was MACHINE engraved, also done by Gillette, similar to the President or Algonquin.
The Sommerset was pulled pretty early from the sortiment (was heavily overpriced imho), so while it was mass produced it should have been produced in very limited numbers. Also have to consider that the whole Ni line saw only limited production.
Tiffany/Gorham sets are third party with parts provided by Gillette.

The Sommerset was MACHINE engraved, also done by Gillette, similar to the President or Algonquin.
The Sommerset was pulled pretty early from the sortiment (was heavily overpriced imho), so while it was mass produced it should have been produced in very limited numbers. Also have to consider that the whole Ni line saw only limited production.

Does anyone have a solid proof that Gillette made the engraving? Not saying that you're wrong, but i'm just curious of how you get that sort of information.

R

romsitsa

Gillette had an engraving team with Frederick Charles Blank being their master engraver. His designs are available online.
If you mean the machine engraving, why would Gillette outsource it?

Gillette had an engraving team with Frederick Charles Blank being their master engraver. His designs are available online.
If you mean the machine engraving, why would Gillette outsource it?

I have no idea, which is why i'm asking and I wanted to see from where the information is coming from, since after spending some time reading especulations about some vintage Gillette razors i've became very sceptical about everything I read here.

R

romsitsa

You can read through the issues Gillette blade, there can be hints. I am not that interested in this era and aspect of Gillette, so didn’t dig deep. And yes, information circulating even today is still based on much earlier myths or misconceptions. You are welcome to being pieces to the puzzle :)

You can read through the issues Gillette blade, there can be hints. I am not that interested in this era and aspect of Gillette, so didn’t dig deep. And yes, information circulating even today is still based on much earlier myths or misconceptions. You are welcome to being pieces to the puzzle :)

I wish I could, but in my parts of the world, even the most common Gillette razor is seen like a Bottom Dial Fatboy in the eyes of the most. Besides, I don't think many Gillette workers from back then are alive to tell us anything about the way they made them or anything else for that matter.

So, this head is kind of special?

I'm not sure its hand engraved. here is a few pictures of ones I think with the same pattern. its not a great picture but you can see the chain link pattern on the underside of the head. I think its rare but not unique
H8897-L280213400.jpg
7tEIlAd.jpeg

Attachments

• Gillette Somerset.png
    Gillette Somerset.png
    571.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom