What's new

Gillette US Aristocrat TTO timeline

Finally the last razor that could possibly be mistaken for an Aristocrat is the Gillette Executive one piece. This razor was produced in 1949 and 1950.

Here is a 1949
View attachment 976266 View attachment 976267

Here is a 1950
View attachment 976268 View attachment 976269

That covers all the distinct variations I can think of right now.

Thanks a lot Andy, great work in this thread! - How would you compare the shave of the rhodium executive with the British Aristocrats?

Best,
Peter

Thanks for the great info. I’m thinking of getting my first Aristocrat and this is giving me things to think about.

Yes blade choice and how many passes you do has a lot to do with end result when evaluating a razor for efficiency and smoothness. I usually stick with either hand honed Feathers, Polsilvers and Kai's in most of my Shave Offs. In my Aristocrat Showdown thread US vs England I was lucky enough to use every generation of Aristocrat and many models and since have acquired an almost complete set of US and British Aristocrats. It's amazing how uniquely different some models are compared to others. Another thing you mentioned I agree with 100% is the condition of the razor used. These razors are in many cases + 60 yrs old and a lot can happen to them like blade alignment for example which would dramatically affect the performance of the razor. Call it OCD but I've managed to obtain either Excellent or in very mint conditon Aristocrats and some I questioned if they were ever used but just to be safe I sent out every one I got to Cap for a tune up if needed which is a cleaning and alignment if needed. So condition, blade choice would certainly affect the outcome of what kind of shave you'd get from any of the Aristocrats in my humble opinion.
BTW if your interested here's the link to the Aristocrat Shave Off thread below. It sure was a fun thread and learned experience for me.

Aristocrat Showdown! US vs England!
Sorry, I'm new here but interested in buying a 47 aristocrat. When you say you send your razors out to Cap. What is Cap? Where do you send it? I'm thinking this is a tune-up service of some kind. Can you clarify for me. Thanks

Thank you for this enlightening post. I think what I had identified as an aristocrat in my collection is actually a regent.

46/47 is a nice mid efficient Aristocrat so a good place to start if your new to traditional shaving.
Cap or as some call him Captain Murphy is a master at razor restoration and you can also send a TTO in for what you call a tune up which includes a cleaning and a check to see if all things are functioning properly and the razor is in alignment. 70 + yrs can do a lot to a razor.

Chris’s email address is
[email protected]

Hope that helps!
Thank you for the contact info Dragonsbeard

Great work Andy, highly appreciated!

Thank you Peter.

And to add one more elusive Aristocrat here are pictures from a completed sale of a 1950 US Aristocrat with the V 3 date code stamp. This was the only one I couldn't find an example of prior when I first wrote this up.

20190813_074113.jpg 20190813_074309.jpg

Out of interest which aristocrat does the regent tech shave like?

The one without end caps.

Thanks.

None do. They would compare more so to a 40/41 Milord or 41 Ranger Tech. Also a Regent Tech with or without end caps shave the same.

I really enjoy this post.

Do you think there could be a rough listing from most to least aggressive?

I know it is subjective but I think some people may find it useful.

I really enjoy this post.

Do you think there could be a rough listing from most to least aggressive?

I know it is subjective but I think some people may find it useful.

Having used them all I'd opine the Adjustable Slim Aristocrat is the most aggressive on a 9 setting.
For a non adjustable the 48 - 51 Aristocrats are the most aggressive and next to that would the 34 Aristocrat.

For least aggressive leaving out the hardest to obtain variants that I wouldn't recommend for daily use since you can find plenty other razors that shave similar like them I would opine the 41 Aristocrat is mildest though it is not what I would call a mild razor. It is more like a middle of the road on the aggressive side of middle.

The one I like the best though is the 46 - 48 Aristocrat since it the most efficient I think and best shaver of the bunch.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Personally, I find the Aristo, Diplomat, and President to be my favorite fixed head razors. All three shave about the same, with a feeling of a #5 Gillette adjustable setting. Not too much bite, but still effective with the right blade.

I've also used a 41 Tech, it being a smidge lighter than later types with about the same feel on my face. Also, the 1934 type seems to be a very mild OC, which is fine with me.

Oh, for cleaning gold plated razors I found the best way to avoid removing the plating is to use a paste made of baking soda and water and gentle rubbing that on the razor or even using a soft toothbrush. Definitely stay away from traditional metal polish like Maas, which is excellent for silver colored razors.

Martin

Having used them all I'd opine the Adjustable Slim Aristocrat is the most aggressive on a 9 setting.
For a non adjustable the 48 - 51 Aristocrats are the most aggressive and next to that would the 34 Aristocrat.

For least aggressive leaving out the hardest to obtain variants that I wouldn't recommend for daily use since you can find plenty other razors that shave similar like them I would opine the 41 Aristocrat is mildest though it is not what I would call a mild razor. It is more like a middle of the road on the aggressive side of middle.

The one I like the best though is the 46 - 48 Aristocrat since it the most efficient I think and best shaver of the bunch.

Awesome thanks

Top Bottom