What's new

Gillette US Aristocrat TTO timeline

These posts will cover US made Gillette TTO (twist to open) razors only sold under the Aristocrat brand name, pre 34 US, British or Brazilian varieties are outside the scope of this synopsis though I may post more on those later. Pictures are of my personal razors unless otherwise stated.

The first TTO introduced by Gillette was the Aristocrat in 1934. From 1934 to 1940 they produced 3 variants of these as open combs in the US. The 3rd variant was available though not at retail level after 1940 still being sold to American Legion members as a special set through their emblem catalogs until 1942.

From left to right the 3 variants produced from 1934 - 1940.
aristo3.jpg

Dates are approximate.
The first variant on the left was produced in 1934 and 1935 possibly as late as 1936. It is unique due to it's lower profile head than the rest of the variants.
The second variant in the middle was produced in 1936 and 1937.
The third and final open comb variant was produced between 1938 - 1940, the major change being the tabs standardized on all TTO razors in 1938 with the introduction of the Senator razor.

Here is a picture showing how to tell the first from the second variant when you can't see the head profile difference. The key is to look at how the rivets affix the doors to the tabs.
comp1a.jpg

The next major change happens in 1941 with the introduction of a closed safety bar. This variant was produced in 1941 and possibly into 1942. From 1942 through 1945 production ceases on the Aristocrat product line in the US until WWII is over then continues with a new variant in 1946.

This variant is distinguished by the fact the tabs do not have any end caps on them.

My razor here, this one is missing it's plating on the handle.
41arista.jpg41aristb.jpg

Here is a unique one stamping wise that I've not seen on later models, this may have been an early revision. Notice the trademark in the Gillette logo you don't see this on other Aristocrat razors. These pictures are from an ebay sale.

41a.jpg 41b.jpg 41c.jpg

Next up are the variants produced between 1946 and 1950. What these all share in common is the Pat Nos on Package stamped on the head and end caps on the tabs. The 1946 - 1948 share the same handle style while the 1948 - 1950 have the newer handle style. Other differences are in the safety bars and center bars.

Here are the next 4 variants from left to right produced between 1946 and 1950.
4xcratside.jpg

Dates are approximate.

First variant on the left was produced between 1946 and 1948.
Second variant was produced in 1948
Third variant was produced in 1948.
Fourth variant on the right was produced from 1948 to 1950

This picture shows the 1st and 2nd variants here. 1st on the left 2nd on the right.
46-47crat.jpg

The major difference aesthetically between the 2 is the change on the safety guard going from curved to creased.

This picture shows the 3rd and 4th variants. 3rd on the left 4th on the right.
47x2crat2.jpg
The first major change is the center bar being notched on the 3rd variant and then the handle being changed on the 4th.

The next variants were produced in 1950 and 1951. Production ceases in 1951 due to the Korean War and the Aristocrat product line is discontinued until 1961. The last variant here was sold actively in the US through 1952.

The major change on these was the patent information stamp on the head was changed to Pat Nos On Pkg. In 1950 (not pictured here) they made 2 versions, one without any date codes and one with the V 3 test code stamping. In 1951 (pictured) they added date codes formally to all the razors. Far as I know W 2 is the last known dated coded razor to be produced.

Here is what a 1950 V 3 date code looks like. Even though this razor is a 1950 Super Speed both shared the same date code stamp for this one production quarter.
v3.jpg

Here is a 1951 W 1
51arista.jpg 51aristb.jpg

Here is a 1951 W 2, this currently is the last known production year and quarter for this razor I am aware of. Pictures from an ebay sale.
w2a.jpg w2b.jpg w2c.jpg

To summarize from 1934 - 1951
The razors all differ shave wise for the following variants regardless of aesthetics.

open combs
1934 - 1935
1936 - 1940 both variants are the same shave wise just aesthetically different

closed safety bar
1946 - 1948
1948 no notched center bar variant
1948 notched center bar variant with 2 smooth rings on handle
1948 - 51

Attachments

• 51aristc.jpg
    51aristc.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 91
In 1961 the Aristocrat is reintroduced as an adjustable. These were produced from 1961 G 3 through 1967 M 3. This was the last US made Aristocrat sold in the US as an Aristocrat.

Picture courtesy of and more information here at this web site AristocratSlim

aristocrat61-67.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally the very last instance of a US produced Gillette razor being sold as an Aristocrat was the Gold Super 109 Black Beauty being sold as the New Aristocrat in Japan. After this the Aristocrat product line disappears for good. As far as the exact year or years this was sold as such I do not know but can say it would have either been in 1969, 1970 or both years.

Picture courtesy of and more information here at this web site Super-109Gold
bbarist.jpeg

Last edited:
These next set of posts will cover US TTO razors that could be misidentified as Aristocrats.

First up are the Regent Tech razors. These were produced from December of 1944 through September of 1945 with production ceasing when WWII ended. They made 2 variants, one without end caps on the tabs in 1944 and 1945 and one with end caps on the tabs in 1945. What distinguishes these visually besides the cases is the fact they have no patent information stamped on the heads.

Here are the 2 variants, 1st on the left, 2nd on the right
regenta.jpg

Here is a top shot of both showing the lack of patent info on these.
regentb.jpg

Last edited:
Next we have the Diplomat which introduced in 1953 as the successor to the Aristocrat and was sold from 1953 through 1957. The major change here aesthetically is in the handle which in the rings on the top and bottom are knurled unlike any of the Aristocrat handles.

dipa.jpg dipb.jpg

Next we have the Gillette President. This was a rhodium plated razor and was produced from 1953 through ??

They made 2 variants one that has same handle style as the 48 through 51 Aristocrats and the other as the Diplomats.

Both pictures are from ebay sales.

The first variant pictured here was produced in 1953 with date codes Y 1 and Y 2.
presa.jpg

Second variant here was produced from 1953 Y1 through - ??. I assume at least 1955 which is latest date coded example I've seen. They could have been produced possibly as late as 1957 which is last known date coded Diplomat I know of.
presib.jpg

Finally the last razor that could possibly be mistaken for an Aristocrat is the Gillette Executive one piece. This razor was produced in 1949 and 1950.

Here is a 1949
exec49a.jpg exec49b.jpg

Here is a 1950
exec50a.jpg exec50b.jpg

That covers all the distinct variations I can think of right now.

Brother BBS-1

Outstanding work, sir. Thank you.

I have many of the Aristocrats, and am wrestling with do I want to get a 1934? I have a 1936, my birth year, which sad to say is a little harsh in feel on my face for my taste. I don't want to reinvent the wheel with a 1934 so to speak, at a formidable cost.

Any significant differences between the shaves of the '34 and the '36?

BTW my favorite Aristocrat thus far is the 1947, which is pretty spot on perfect for my face and whiskers.

Yes I’ve done side by side Shave Offs twice with this pair and both of mine are in as new condition and they were both sent to Cap for a tune up if they were in need of one.

With that said it’s an easily very noticeable comparison. The 1934 is definitely less efficient but again noticeably smoother. Just the opposite with the 1936. More efficient but not as smooth.

That is pretty much my experience also, the 34 is also more aggressive but the overall closer shave for me anyways was the 36.

Couple of other things to take into consideration when using razors or comparing them. You get closer shaves with sharper blades if you do enough passes regardless of the razor. If you use for arguments sake a Dorco and a Feather blade and all other things being equal regardless of razor the Feather will be a closer shave. The other thing is the difference between those 2 types of blades will be less depending the aggressiveness of the razor, the more aggressive the less of a difference between both those types of blades I've cited as examples.

Hmmm. So I'm thinking I'll just be happy with my '36, as I prefer close shaves. I knowingly overpaid for my flagship 1936 Gillette Aristocrat, as it was a birthyear razor with case and blade bank ($300) all in mint condition. I just considered it to an expensive birthday present. Birthdays come just once a year, the last time I checked.

Usually later models of the same razor become less aggressive. The '34 and the '36 apparently are exceptions to that observation.

What is interesting a week later I accidentally found a '36 Aristocrat in an antique store for $8. It was in good condition, aside from a severely dropped handle which I was able to fix with a heavy towel and vice grip pliers. So I guess I can reason I paid $154 for each of my two 1936 Gillette Aristocrats, which is a somewhat decent price. :001_rolle

And I now have a backup travel '36 Aristocrat, not that I really needed one. :001_smile

Thanks to all for your valuable info!

Great job and a great piece of information. I've already bookmarked this thread for future reference.
Of all the razor listed the only one I've owned was not an Aristocrat but the 1949 rhodium plated Executive. It was the nicest razor I've ever held in my hands.

Great job and a great piece of information. I've already bookmarked this thread for future reference.
Of all the razor listed the only one I've owned was not an Aristocrat but the 1949 rhodium plated Executive. It was the nicest razor I've ever held in my hands.

Thanks for mentioning the rhodium plating on the one piece Executive. I forgot to mention those razors were only sold in rhodium plating.

Great read, well researched! Were there '50 aristocrates that weren't date stamped but came with a dated gold blade instead... i have one that came with a W3 blade. I cant imagine anyone would want to fake this.

Perhaps this was a transition piece where things were being retooled to stamp the heads? Maybe a last run or holdover stock where the blade sufficed for any new company dating policy?

Great read, well researched! Were there '50 aristocrates that weren't date stamped but came with a dated gold blade instead... i have one that came with a W3 blade. I cant imagine anyone would want to fake this.

Perhaps this was a transition piece where things were being retooled to stamp the heads? Maybe a last run or holdover stock where the blade sufficed for any new company dating policy?

All the sets came with date coded blades regardless of whether that razor was dated coded or not from 1930 and up. Who says that is the original blade that came with the razor or case it is housed in especially if it is not a NOS razor or set. Occam's razor applies here. You date these razors by the characteristics aesthetically that they were produced with E.O.S. If a seller claims it to be something else and won't show you the necessary identifying characteristics as stated in my posts then you know they are purposely trying to sell something other than what it is.

Top Bottom