What's new

Gillette Tuckaway vs New Improved?

Received this cute little fella in the mail today. Am I right to assume this is the same razor as a New Improved
just with a short handle? It is stamped 51308-C which I take it equates to being made in 1928. It's in very nice
shape other than the cap is starting to lose plating.
IMG_3431.jpg
IMG_3432.jpg

New improved razors are sold in different sets.
There are quite a few new improved sets, a Tuckaway, a bostonian, richwood, sommerset, aristocrat etc.

Have a look on this page from Mr. Razor:

These set names come back later with a different Gillette head, "The New". As such you shouldn't refer to your razor as a Tuckaway but as a New Improved (from Tuckaway set). Because a Tuckaway can be either a "New" or a "New Improved."

The heads of the New Improved razors should be the same but the handle, case and decoration can be different when they are from a different set.

Last edited:
The longer new and improved also have the handles attached, the NI Tuckaway can use other handles. To me they feel similar just balance slightly differently with a longer handle. I think the NI Tuckaway is a great razor that shaves really close and smooth for me. I liked it so much I did end up with a standard NI.

20230201_185441.jpg

The fact that they are 100 year old and still look stunning is a great bonus.
Wolfman recently introduced this knurling on its last handle. “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” - Oscar Wilde (although that quote is actually incomplete).

Guido

I've only used the first version of the NI and I really like it. A few days ago I was able to find the second version at a tempting price and now I have to wait and see how different it is and if it's better or not compared to the older version. I have the same itch for the NEW De Luxe, since I own the 15mm model and I wonder how does the 17mm performs. Unfortunately, the De Luxe models are not as common or as affordable as the NI.

Top Bottom