What's new

Gillette tto mechanism stuck. Please help

The more I think about it, the more I think it may well be a mechanical/alignment problem like my broken Parat. The handle is aluminum and so where it’s pressed into the head it would be very weak. A design flaw I guess. Pretty much what romsitsa said above. That joint maybe should have been reinforced. It also makes sense to me that these broken, or partly broken razors make it into the antique stores and onto ebay. I can't recall exactly the gymnastics I have to go through to get the Parat open and set up properly so that it works. Pointless in my case because the handle separates from the head and there isn't enough metal to fix the press-fit.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I lucked out on the Wintergreen Oil, the shop could order me some in but I came home and ordered some on line. May as well have it come to me rather than have to drive an hour to pick up such a small object.

R

romsitsa

The more I think about it, the more I think it may well be a mechanical/alignment problem like my broken Parat. The handle is aluminum and so where it’s pressed into the head it would be very weak. A design flaw I guess. Pretty much what romsitsa said above. That joint maybe should have been reinforced. It also makes sense to me that these broken, or partly broken razors make it into the antique stores and onto ebay. I can't recall exactly the gymnastics I have to go through to get the Parat open and set up properly so that it works. Pointless in my case because the handle separates from the head and there isn't enough metal to fix the press-fit.

Hello,

if you have the time/tools, take it apart, sand down the nickel from contact surfaces of the neck and baseplate, apply a thin coat of soft solder, reassemble it and heat up the joint with a heat gun.
It’s not as strong as the crimping, but will last.

Adam

Hello,

if you have the time/tools, take it apart, sand down the nickel from contact surfaces of the neck and baseplate, apply a thin coat of soft solder, reassemble it and heat up the joint with a heat gun.
It’s not as strong as the crimping, but will last.

Adam

Never thought to try that. I guess I didn't think that a soldered joint would do . I do have the tools, but time is another story.

So its been a couple of days soaking in some detergent, nothings moved. :/ Might be mechanical. Is there a way to get these appart? Take the doors off and pull out the center?
On a Black Beauty long handle, I used a pair of pliers and cloth wrapped around the TTO knob and broke it loose. Maybe I was just lucky I didn't break anything. I did do the dawn soaks as recommended above first, so maybe it was just about ready to break loose anyway.

Top Bottom