What's new

Gillette tto mechanism stuck. Please help

Hi guys,

My aluminium hd rocket ( I think that's what it is) mech had become stuck. It was always stiff but recently jammed. I did some searches here and tried hot water/over night soaking and vinegar for a hour. Still won't budge.

Any other suggestions? Its an English razor and I'm not in the USA so if you have an idea for a product to use please tell me what it is rather than the product name.
Cheers

IMG_20181210_155015.jpg IMG_20181210_155020.jpg

WD40 or Pb blaster. Let it soak 24 to 48 hours working the tto knob every few hours or so.

If that does the trick put some dish soap into the mechanism and let it soak for a bit before a hot soapy bath to remove any oil residue and remove the chemical stink from the razor.

Wintergreen oil. Can be had from a local pharmacy in most places....grab an eye dropper. Don’t pour it on you. It will convert to aspirin in your system, and if a lot penetrates you, it could be like taking a blood thinner. Not really an issue as it is oft used as a muscle rub or headache tonic when used in a carrier oil, but the caution needs mentioned I suppose.

I have had great success with it on swing arm axle/chain adjustment bolts that seize from galvanic corrosion, rusted exhaust manifold bolts, etc. Great penetrant that will loosen corrosion. Navy used to keep it in barrels aboard ships, I heard. It has become my tool box penetrant for all mechanical work needs.

Stuck in the open position? Knob just won't turn?

You've soaked in soapy water? Tried mineral/baby oil as a lubricant?

Yeah stuck in the position in the photo. Haven't tried either of those yet. They'll be next.

Out of curiosity do i have the razor identification correct?

Yeah stuck in the position in the photo. Haven't tried either of those yet. They'll be next.

Out of curiosity do i have the razor identification correct?

You'd have to weigh it to confirm. I couldn't tell you if it was an HD or LD Rocket from the picture alone. The LD will be somewhere around 36 - 38 grams the HD 68 - 72 grams. If you are sure it is aluminum then it will be a LD (Light Duty) also nicknamed a Paperclip Rocket.

If twisting it still shows resistance, maybe lightly rapping it on the end during soaking periods will help whatever solution is used penetrate better and work toward getting it loose. Gently, and after or during a good soak.

I recently had the tto action stiffen up on one of mine, in spite of regular cleaning. I use a can of compressed air now, to help clear out residual water when cleaning and oiling. I had to apply forward and rearward pressure on the threads as I worked the dial back and forth, in order to remove what was binding it. Without the added axial pressure it wasn’t cleaning up or improving near as well.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have 2 razors that look exactly like yours and with mine you have to hold the head of the razor and turn the whole handle and then before the handle comes completely off you have to flip the doors open with your fingers. They weigh next to nothing, I thought that I had bought someones home repair job but to buy two the same from different states of Australia they just must have the same fault as yours. Very interesting.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

if the photos show your razor, than it is an aluminum handle and baseplate Rocket with the T bar and doors in nickel plated brass.
Either gunk came loose and it froze the thread or oxidised aluminum bonded to itself. Don't use vinegar, try some penetrating oil. If it doesn't want to move apply some force to crack it open, apply some more oil an move the knob until it moves freely.
If you use a vice to secure the razor while maintenance, use some soft backing, like pine wood, as the vice will deform aluminum in no time.

Adam

I have 2 razors that look exactly like yours and with mine you have to hold the head of the razor and turn the whole handle and then before the handle comes completely off you have to flip the doors open with your fingers. They weigh next to nothing, I thought that I had bought someones home repair job but to buy two the same from different states of Australia they just must have the same fault as yours. Very interesting.

I'm in NZ, actually can't remember where i got this one but you just twist the bottom of the handle to open and close the doors.

No progress with CRC 556 down the opening.

I would start with a long soak in Dawn detergent in warm water. Repeat if necessary. Then move on on to some of the other suggestions above. Good luck!

Try the overnite (24 Hr) hot water soak again but this time use Dawn. If that won't free up any qunk then i may be a a mechanical problem.

So its been a couple of days soaking in some detergent, nothings moved. :/ Might be mechanical. Is there a way to get these appart? Take the doors off and pull out the center?

How about . . . how about soaking the jammed razor in a warm 50% solution of vinegar and water for 8 hours, while attempting to work the handle under the solution every hour or so?

If hard water gunk is the problem the vinegar solution should dissolve the calcium or whatever. Otherwise it's a mechanical problem. If a mechanical problem, all bets are off.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

don’t use vinegar, try some penetrating oil from the top and bottom.
Dissasembly is rather clumsy as the base plate is pressed onto the handle, you have to break it free and screw the handle out.

Adam

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
What ever it is that goes wrong with these razors it must have been a major problem. Today I had another one turn up in the mail and it is the same as my other two. I suppose I can still use mine to a degree as I can open the doors with my fingers but it opens up a chance to slice myself with the blade. So I have 3 of these razors now all with the same problem.

Top Bottom