What's new

Gillette Toggle Disassembly

Yikes, that can be daunting. Did you eventually find it?

Yeah, I ended up finding it under my drill press. I had a mag broom and everything! My methods involve putting clear tape around the toggle lever upon installation so it can't pop or fall out. [emoji106]

$20150813_175809.jpg

Hello Captain,

Are you back? Is everything good with you? If you are still are taking on razor projects I do have a razor a British Aristocrat OC 15 that has opening and closing issues, would you be interested in this project? If so I would love to hear from you.

Take care,
Steven

As is often the case... I am fashionably late to this party... But the good news is I have arrived and so has my f4 toggle! Forgive my relatively newbieness here on BnB. After enjoying this entire story of awesomeness I'm left with but a few questions about my new friend... Mr Toggle... One is in regards to adjusting... Does the toggle need to be open in order to adjust the blade much like my fatboy? Also should there be a little vertical play in the adjuster dial like the fatboy? And lastly who is doing all this replating/ is captain still working on these timeless amazing razors? I did by the way get it this morning and gave it a great scrubbing.... Thus leading to a great shave tonight!

As is often the case... I am fashionably late to this party... But the good news is I have arrived and so has my f4 toggle! Forgive my relatively newbieness here on BnB. After enjoying this entire story of awesomeness I'm left with but a few questions about my new friend... Mr Toggle... One is in regards to adjusting... Does the toggle need to be open in order to adjust the blade much like my fatboy? Also should there be a little vertical play in the adjuster dial like the fatboy? And lastly who is doing all this replating/ is captain still working on these timeless amazing razors? I did by the way get it this morning and gave it a great scrubbing.... Thus leading to a great shave tonight!

Hello Sir! This is one of the few times that I am on B&B replying to a thread post but here I am! My involvement lately has been rather light but I am still in the mix and here to comment and help! Congratulations on the toggle, they are fascinating instruments! Glad to hear you enjoyed reading through the thread and were able to some of the cool projects that have taken place.

I have touched on this a few times before and I have heard all kinds of things but to be clear, you do not need to have any of the Gillette adjustable models open when making adjustments. Adjusting a Gillette Adjustable safety razor with the doors closed and the knob secured will do absolutely no harm. From a mechanical perspective, there is no way that you would damage any of the parts by doing so. Is adjusting the razor easier to do with the doors open? sure, this is probably why everyone says you should do it this way. Gillette never clearly stated whether the doors needed to be open or closed when adjusting the razor so it is left open for debate but again, mechanically speaking, you will not hurt the razor while adjusting closed. If this was really a serious usability concern, I would probably be fixing a lot more of these things.

I am still working on all Gillette models and I am happy to answer any and all questions related to them! Chris Evatt is the one who has done all of the replating in this thread and he too is still operating. Have fun with that thing and enjoy!

Hello Sir! This is one of the few times that I am on B&B replying to a thread post but here I am! My involvement lately has been rather light but I am still in the mix and here to comment and help! Congratulations on the toggle, they are fascinating instruments! Glad to hear you enjoyed reading through the thread and were able to some of the cool projects that have taken place.

I have touched on this a few times before and I have heard all kinds of things but to be clear, you do not need to have any of the Gillette adjustable models open when making adjustments. Adjusting a Gillette Adjustable safety razor with the doors closed and the knob secured will do absolutely no harm. From a mechanical perspective, there is no way that you would damage any of the parts by doing so. Is adjusting the razor easier to do with the doors open? sure, this is probably why everyone says you should do it this way. Gillette never clearly stated whether the doors needed to be open or closed when adjusting the razor so it is left open for debate but again, mechanically speaking, you will not hurt the razor while adjusting closed. If this was really a serious usability concern, I would probably be fixing a lot more of these things.

I am still working on all Gillette models and I am happy to answer any and all questions related to them! Chris Evatt is the one who has done all of the replating in this thread and he too is still operating. Have fun with that thing and enjoy!
thank you Captain for your reply! And thank you for clearing the adjusting while closed question! The hardest part for me right now is that I can't get a full face shave for a few more weeks... It's grow my goatee season for my upcoming hunt but it is doing fine cleaning my edges... After my hunt I'll get to let this puppy rip... I can tell its fired up to do the job... Thank you again.

Hello Fine Gentlemen of B&B! I know that I don't frequent the forums much anymore but I am always on the end of the wire! It has been quite a busy year for me so my involvement took quite the decline in the later half of this year. I sincerely apologize for this, Gentlemen. Okay, enough about me and my pity party:001_rolle

I plan on making it up to you Gents! Yes, you guessed it....MORE Gillette tear down footage!:thumbup: and this time...none other than the revered TOGGLE. Yep, I have been pondering it for quite some time and as you will hear me mention in the video, it isn't exactly a quick process or one to just "video quickly" so I have put it off until now.

Long story short, one of our members here sent me an email and inquired about having two toggles worked on to which I happily agreed of course:001_cool: These two toggles were both ugly, cruddy, and locked up tighter than a hull rivet on an ironclad.

Without venturing back into detail on the long LONG process these things have went through, I will gladly present the goods to you fine people, just in time for the holidays.

*A word of fair warning, I filmed this video on a lower quality to cut upload times and also forgot to swap out my diving case for my camera so every little sound that I make seems amplified* Again, my apologies, Gentlemen. At any rate, I hope y'all enjoy the video!:thumbup::popc::

And as always, I am always here to answer any questions or comments OR to adopt any further monikers you guys might generate for me:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The above video is way tool long!
Here is a VERY short version of it for those who have no time to watch the long one:

proxy.php

:lol:

Top Bottom