What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Mine shipped this morning! It is supposed to be here by next Tuesday. It is a shame that they did not find a way to put the Gillette logo somewhere on the razor. Maybe on the next one, if there is a next one.
They could not put it on the head because it is a Muhle product. If they put a logo on the handle Muhle may not have supplied the head so a compromise was made.

I enjoyed using it this morning and found it gave a pleasant, comfortable, very good shave. The razor won’t deliver the closest of shaves, but more than good enough to be satisfied with. I was expecting to be disappointed by this razor, but am happy that it exceeded expectations. As someone who primarily uses vintage Gillettes (and a couple of Merkurs), I’m delighted to be able to add this to my rotation.

I enjoy the idea of Gillette putting out re-issues of classic razors (perhaps similar to what Fender does with its guitars), for some reason.
Thx, I do enjoy similar razors as you described.

Something old, something new. I did a side by side comparison. This is 100% the same head as the Muhle and Edwin Jagger. I shaved with my EJ for years I have no need to shave with this, I already know how it shaves. The handle is very light. This is going on a shelf and I'll keep using my timeless and try out the Brit that was delivered today as well.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

They could not put it on the head because it is a Muhle product. If they put a logo on the handle Muhle may not have supplied the head so a compromise was made.
I am not sure why that would be, but I acknowledge that it is a possibility. Another thought is that it was a simple matter of economics for this limit market trial.

I'm at work so I don't have the numbers in front of me but FWIW I weighed three vintage Common Bar Handles and then the new Heritage handle. The Heritage handle was about 10 grams heavier. From that I'm guessing it's a hollow tube with end pieces fitted much like the original.

They could not put it on the head because it is a Muhle product.

There are only hundreds of examples of why this isn’t necessarily the case. Have you ever heard of the practice of licensing? Outsourcing? Private label manufacturing? It happens all the time, where a company produces and sells a product under its own brand, but also produces it for other companies who then turn around and sell it with their own brand on it. All the time. The fact that it’s made by Muhle would not, by itself, preclude Gillette from selling it with their brand on it.

There are only hundreds of examples of why this isn’t necessarily the case. Have you ever heard of the practice of licensing? Outsourcing? Private label manufacturing? It happens all the time, where a company produces and sells a product under its own brand, but also produces it for other companies who then turn around and sell it with their own brand on it. All the time. The fact that it’s made by Muhle would not, by itself, preclude Gillette from selling it with their brand on it.
Because it was cheaper for Gillette just to pull a bunch from Muhle regular production apparently.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Something old, something new. I did a side by side comparison. This is 100% the same head as the Muhle and Edwin Jagger. I shaved with my EJ for years I have no need to shave with this, I already know how it shaves. The handle is very light. This is going on a shelf and I'll keep using my timeless and try out the Brit that was delivered today as well.

I probably would like the lighter handle, but already having an EJ89, I see no reason as this would shave the same. I'm not interested in collectible things in general, at least not razors so that aspect leaves me cold.

I put up my initial review of the razor over here in the DE shave forum. I got it yesterday and gave it a try this morning. I put in a reference back to this thread.

Have A Great One!

Now the head shave report:
Muhle 89 vs Gillette Heritage
Warm wet towel x 3
Proraso Red pre shave
Proraso Red tub using RazoRock synthetic
Blades: Gillette 7 O'clock green new on each
This was a 3 pass shave, it felt good, the R89 felt a bit more efficient on first pass, later probably no difference.
All in all, an average shave.
Proraso Balm
I chose Proraso thinking most people will probably have those items, I don't use them that much.

Now my personal opinion: if you have the R89 and just want a razor to shave: don't waste your $$ in this Gillette!

If you don't have an R89, then I think this is an OK razor....

If you are a collector....get it....the BOX is nice....reminiscent of the OLD Gillette boxes.

I do get better shaves from Karve OC "C", Muhle R41 or RR Jaws
I have the R89 and had not used it since Jan, not biased at all; and I love Gillette vintage Razors...have a few of those.

I saw at the drug store some new gillette products for beard enthusiasts and some new shaving cream cans.

Gillette

Really interesting the article mentions new facilities for Cincinnati. That is what is on the outer cardboard box of the Heritage I received today. Still wondering about where the handle came from in US.

Nice razor box and nice handle. Very light compared to my EJ handle. Shave tomorrow will be interesting with a much lighter handle. Never owned the vintage handle this new one was based on but the knurling on this Heritage is really darn close to my Old Type handle knurling. Really feels in the hand like an old Gillette handle.

Really glad I got this. You open the box and you really feel it. Thought I’d open the box and it would just be a razor I’ve seen before. Not so, feels special in some way, hard to describe. Know it is an R89 head but who cares, that and the EJ are great shavers anyway.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
4 relatives: Gillette, EJ,Muhle and RR. All the head parts have different weights.
Weight differences are so small as to be manufacturers variances. It’s the same razor, everyone can get their favorite brand.

If I didn’t own any of these, I would get the Gillette. To me, it’s the best value because you get a case too and maybe the handle is a bit nicer than the lower priced Muhle and EJ options.

Top Bottom