What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

I received mine today and plan on trying it out later this week. The fit and finish looks excellent and the weight balance is fine for me. The plating on the head and handle of mine match, and the case is well constructed. This Gillette razor has exceeded my expectations.

btw, electronics firms, automotive companies, and technology companies (to name a few) all contract some of their manufacturing, with the components built to their specifications. Do we call a Toyota or a Ford by any other name?

A better question might be, “Did Gillette not put their name on any razors in the past?”. This could be the first one.
Only the first ever Gillette examples had no "Gillette" on them (DR).
Later on they even were wiping out other branding just to put the Gillette stamp on after acquiring the brand - Rotbart for example....

btw, electronics firms, automotive companies, and technology companies (to name a few) all contract some of their manufacturing, with the components built to their specifications. Do we call a Toyota or a Ford by any other name?
Not if the steering wheel states Toyota or a Ford.

I received mine today and plan on trying it out later this week. The fit and finish looks excellent and the weight balance is fine for me. The plating on the head and handle of mine match, and the case is well constructed. This Gillette razor has exceeded my expectations.

I’ve asked others who have received theirs, and nobody seems willing or able to answer this question. I’ll pose it to you and see if my luck changes. Can you tell what material the handle is made of? Brass or Zamak? Thanks.

hate orr
Optimistic me: it's a good start to the right direction, we just have to wait and see.

Pessimistic me: another zamak made EJ clone, nothing to be proud of Gillette!, I'd rather buy a brass vintage if it has to be a Gillette.

Optimistic me: it's a good start to the right direction, we just have to wait and see.

Pessimistic me: another zamak made EJ clone, nothing to be proud of Gillette!, I'd rather buy a brass vintage if it has to be a Gillette.

Have you ever noticed that when people post on this site, they use the English language in a properly formatted and grammatically correct manner, and engage with one another like fully grown mature adults? What in the world is wrong with you? Don’t bother to reply, I’m not going to read it.

I’ve asked others who have received theirs, and nobody seems willing or able to answer this question. I’ll pose it to you and see if my luck changes. Can you tell what material the handle is made of? Brass or Zamak? Thanks.
I got mine today, when I looked into the threaded end of the handle I saw brass. The hole is about 11/16" deep as far as I can tell.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
When this first went on Amazon I put one in my cart and got busy with work. By the time i got back to it, it was sold out. Left it in my save for later list. Saw it back as available yesterday, ordered it, and it shipped same day. It will be delivered tomorrow. Yay! But i wont be home to see it for a couple of weeks. Doh! :)

Only the first ever Gillette examples had no "Gillette" on them (DR).
Later on they even were wiping out other branding just to put the Gillette stamp on after acquiring the brand - Rotbart for example....

Not if the steering wheel states Toyota or a Ford.
If it were stamped with a Gillette logo, some people would still declare it to no be a Gillette.

Hello!!! So some people have received their razors. All the expectation we have, even anxiety and yet NO ONE has used it?
Anyone willing to report on a shave....first impressions.... that's what many people are interested in......
I am sure collectors want to keep it new, or are interested in the box.....but many just want to see if it is worthy for shaving..... Put a blade, any blade....your favorite.....and go for it..... soap: any soap, your choice.... 2-3 passes...your choice....

There are a couple of reviews posted on Amazon that indicate the reviewer has shaved with the razor. One reviewer says it falls between a Merkur 34C and an EJ DE89 in aggressiveness.

I enjoyed using it this morning and found it gave a pleasant, comfortable, very good shave. The razor won’t deliver the closest of shaves, but more than good enough to be satisfied with. I was expecting to be disappointed by this razor, but am happy that it exceeded expectations. As someone who primarily uses vintage Gillettes (and a couple of Merkurs), I’m delighted to be able to add this to my rotation.

I enjoy the idea of Gillette putting out re-issues of classic razors (perhaps similar to what Fender does with its guitars), for some reason.

I enjoyed using it this morning and found it gave a pleasant, comfortable, very good shave. The razor won’t deliver the closest of shaves, but more than good enough to be satisfied with. I was expecting to be disappointed by this razor, but am happy that it exceeded expectations. As someone who primarily uses vintage Gillettes (and a couple of Merkurs), I’m delighted to be able to add this to my rotation.

I enjoy the idea of Gillette putting out re-issues of classic razors (perhaps similar to what Fender does with its guitars), for some reason.

Thanks for the review! I guess different blades will give milder or more aggressive shaves.

A feather for me in a DE89 gives me close shaves but a voshkod doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine shipped this morning! It is supposed to be here by next Tuesday. It is a shame that they did not find a way to put the Gillette logo somewhere on the razor. Maybe on the next one, if there is a next one.

Top Bottom