What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

What we really need is something that is designed and made by gillette themselves like the old super speed.
That is not going to happen anytime soon for DE razors. It is too expensive on setup costs unless there is going to be a long production run. Out sourcing is where they are going these days hence no trademarks on the razor.

This is a start. It will be interesting to see if Gillette decides to get back in the game they once owned or if this is just a one off.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain this contains parts they cobbled together from somewhere. The head looks like merkur and the handle is one of those generic ones you get from china or some other existing retailer.

What we really need is something that is designed and made by gillette themselves like the old super speed.

The handle is Gillette’s design from the 1929 NEW. The razor on the right

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
That is not going to happen anytime soon for DE razors. It is too expensive on setup costs unless there is going to be a long production run. Out sourcing is where they are going these days hence no trademarks on the razor.

Parker, Weishi make super speeds already.

What I do like about the re-emergence of Gillette in the safety razor market is that it shows the growing popularity of safety razor shaving in the US.

It’s a positive sign. For me the modern artisan razors are all upgrades/improvements on Gillette’s razors over the last 100 years. The BBs-1 razor is inspired from the Gillette tech.

All the open combs razors of today are Gillette’s design. They have done it all over the last 100 years. All that is changing nowadays are blade gaps and head geometry made in stainless steel.

I am sure an artisan can take a fat boy head geometry or an 1940 Gillette aristocrat head geometry and make a low cost three price razor razor out of rather than a TTO.

If the community wants a modern TTO , Gillette doesn’t have the equipment...so what we might get is a Gillette spec’d TTO made in China or India.

The new Wilkinson sword is a weishi you can but on aliexpress for half the price.

For me what more important is Gillette actually filling in the niche market which is not going to over take the cartridge market.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think the regular shaver out there is unlikely to prefer DE over carts. What do you guys think?
Spot on, most won't, haven't and don't. Thus spoke the market.

DE picks up the edge cases, the ones harkeing for something more, or the few that carts irritate the crap out of their face. The majority don't get the ingrowns, the tugging, the razor bumps or all the stuff that many DE users say they left carts because of. If the majority had those issues, we'd see different carts than we see today, simple as that.

For those that have not inherent skin/beard issues with carts, if they were to apply the beard prep we do here, i'd say they'd get the best shaves of their lives with their existing carts.

This new "Gillette" still does not get me pushing the buy button. I already own a DE89.

I'll give Jillette props for coming out with a safety razor. I'm especially surprised it didn't come with a barcode scanner to scan the Jillette $20 blades once put inside the razor.
Bar code! That's so vintage! I am sure the blades will have RFID. The chip ensures your best shaving experience by imposing a limit of two shaves per blade.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm fairly certain this contains parts they cobbled together from somewhere. The head looks like merkur and the handle is one of those generic ones you get from china or some other existing retailer.

The Handle is a replica of the Gillette Common Bar handle produced from 1929 to 1941. Gillette is saying the handle is manufactured in the USA. The head is made in Germany most likely by Muhle as it's an r89.

The Handle is a replica of the Gillette Common Bar handle produced from 1929 to 1941. Gillette is saying the handle is manufactured in the USA. The head is made in Germany most likely by Muhle as it's an r89.

proxy.php

DE89, as suspected! What a let down. They should stick to SJW:ism

The majority of modern safety razors are all inspired takes or improvements on Gillette’s razors over the last 100 years.....when the DE89 came out I thought it was a nod to Gillette’s vintage designs.....Wolfman razors are modern inspired Gillette techs/Old Types with varying blade gaps are a very high price and in stainless.

Imitation is the best form of flattery I guess

Raven Koenes

My precious!
DE89, as suspected! What a let down. They should stick to SJW:ism
It's actually a pretty smart move. It's a well respected user friendly head for the general public/newbies. They no longer have the machinery and that's a very expensive re-tool. This is a cost effective way to test a niche market. Using Amazon as an exclusive distributor was also a very good cost effective idea. If sales are an indication, it seems to be working for them.

The majority of modern safety razors are all inspired takes or improvements on Gillette’s razors over the last 100 years.....when the DE89 came out I thought it was a nod to Gillette’s vintage designs.....Wolfman razors are modern inspired Gillette techs/Old Types with varying blade gaps are a very high price and in stainless.

Imitation is the best form of flattery I guess

I actually was thinking that the scalloped closed bar looked more like the old Rotbart design (that Gillette acquired but didn't incorporate into their line).

I actually was thinking that the scalloped closed bar looked more like the old Rotbart design (that Gillette acquired but didn't incorporate into their line).

So in a strange way, the DE89 is based on a Gillette acquired company. We have come full circle
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

So in a strange way, the DE89 is based on a Gillette acquired company. We have come full circle
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Great pics!! And it does look that way...a nickle plated NEW handle with a Rotbart cap and base. The name "Heritage" would take on a broader meaning.

This was a Pre-Sale on amazon that said it would be available Nov 1st. The Pre-sale sold out pretty quickly, then it was available for a few hours again one day, and then it sold out again.

Well it's now it's Nov 1st and still not available. If you click the amazon link on the first page of this thread it says - currently unavailable.

And here's something kinda strange - without having the link you can no longer find the page on amazon. When the thread first started you could go to amazon and search - Gillette Heritage - and it would come up in the results. It's not in the search results anymore.....even tried - gillette safety, gillette inspired...if you don't have the link you won't be able to find it right now.

So, presumably they should be starting to ship the kits to those who placed orders? How soon after the pre-sale date do companies start to ship product? I've never pre-ordered anything.

Top Bottom