What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

There's a AOS branded safety razor made in Germany that sells for $39.00, so one would think is a Muhle. Using Occam's razor (pun intended) this might be a Muhle made one too. And if it's intended for a not wet shaving aficionado, I think it's fair priced and marketed. The M89 razor head is a good starter razor, the Old types can be harsh on an inexperienced user and the Tech doesn't get the love they deserve even on the wet shaving communities. Also, the gross of the shaving population can't even think of buying a 60-80 yo used safety razor and go with the cleaning, sterilization, polishing and every process we see as normal.
Just my 2 cents
images (2).jpeg

Cheers

"Twist Top releases plate to load blade and premium, chrome Plated handle brings a historic design to your daily shave"

I know random capitalization is all the rage with the cool kids on Twitter, but is it a thing with advertising professionals?

W

Wait......bet you the grandkids might welcome in 40yrs you bought one of these items and was sitting on a shelf unused and they either remember you kindly and use it....or sell it for x100 what you paid.... I just hope it's not a rebranded Weishi.....that will rot in the basement....

Rebranded Weishi's are great. I love my Van der Hagen.

Appears to me that there is a lot of guessing and assumptions on who is making this razor and what it is made of. I see no description on the Amazon website answering this. Does someone really know or is everyone just guessing?

I know nothing about it, but I am expecting it to be a zamak razor made in China. If it turns out to be a EJ, Muhle or Merkur I will be pleasantly surprised.

Here's my theory: Gillette is desperate for business and market share. They're losing money every quarter, the controversial ad last january is where it all started and it's been snowballing ever since. The brand name Gillette is worth $8 billion dollars less than it was last year. The problem with that? They keep making controversial ads and pissing everybody off. Their last two were aimed at overweight women and people who are transgendered. These are two demographics that can not hope to replace who they lost in january.

Bottom line, they're grasping at straws, hoping to regain their reputation. I have not purchased anything by Gillette USA since the beginning of the year and have no plans to ever do so again.

My support for this theory: P&G posts strong sales, takes $8 billion Gillette writedown - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-proctergamble-results-idUSKCN1UP1AD

This is not the first time they've catered to us. A few years ago they released a 9-pack of blades that were imported from..I think Brazil. They were sold at Walgreens then quietly discounted and disappeared shortly after. Some people said they were new/old stock.

c27814ab-d897-478f-89ca-9ca8a1da84de_1.e0dc0d11bf0a4435388f3096029d279a.jpeg

If you go on Gillette's Amazon store front you'll notice the "Heritage" is AWOL. Not present even in navigation menu under "More". It's all carts. Only people who will see it are DE users via Amazon algorithm suggestions.

Looks like market testing to me. Not pushed loud enough for damage control.

Gillette has an Amazon store, why isn't this thing on it? You get one guess.

It should be an Edwin Jagger production.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Nothing in that suggests EJ is making anything for Gillette. It's the other way around, EJ is buying parts from Gillette so they can make razors compatible with Gillette's cartridges without getting sued for patent infringement.

Here's my theory: Gillette is desperate for business and market share. They're losing money every quarter
I think if Gillette needs a turnaround strategy, they're going to have to do better than making a copy of a hundred year old razor, use the fact it can use anyone's blades as a selling point, sell it only through Amazon and not tell anyone about it.

I'm really confused about why so many are second-guessing a company that has raised its dividend for 62 consecutive years and has been in business since the mid-1800s. Maybe the razor business is dying out. So what? It's only a part of P&G. Don't people think P&G has navigated the tempestuous changes before? Maybe they are grooming the Gillette storefront to get it ready to sell.

Gillette has an Amazon store, why isn't this thing on it? You get one guess.

Nothing in that suggests EJ is making anything for Gillette. It's the other way around, EJ is buying parts from Gillette so they can make razors compatible with Gillette's cartridges without getting sued for patent infringement.

I think if Gillette needs a turnaround strategy, they're going to have to do better than making a copy of a hundred year old razor, use the fact it can use anyone's blades as a selling point, sell it only through Amazon and not tell anyone about it.
So your theory is that Gilllette enters into a partnership with Edwin Jagger then rather than utilize EJ production buys Chinese clones of EJ heads?? That strikes me as bizarre. I think it possible that production is done in China but I would expect it would be under the auspices and/or as specified by EJ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So your theory is that Gilllette enters into a partnership with Edwin Jagger then rather than utilize EJ production buys Chinese clones of EJ heads?? That strikes me as bizarre. I think it possible that production is done in China but I would expect it would be under the auspices and/or as specified by EJ.
No, I don't believe for a second that this is a Gillette product.

Hi everyone. Just saw a video from Ken Surfs about the new Gillette DE razor coming out. It's available for pre order on Amazon. Curious to know what everyone thinks about it. Thanks.
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Besides, there are many guys that sell overpriced zamak razors from China & India, even "homages". I don't see why Gillette can't get a piece of that cake...

I find it odd that Amazon calls it “Gillette Heritage-Inspired”. It’s like Gillette licensed their name out to some other company. There are no obvious stampings on the razor that say Gillette based on the limited photos of the razor. Remove the razor from the case and it would just be another zamak razor from China. Read the name of the manufacturer indicated on Amazon.
78DFE186-60F7-4553-B33D-129E0A7128EF.png

Top Bottom