What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Nice to see this. I would consider it if it came in an open comb variety.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm with you...though I'm trying really hard not to pull the trigger on it. The thing is I wouldn't use it more than once or twice...but dang...love the retro fat handle...

OK the pictures look doctored and fake. The listing on Amazon looks real. It's a Pre-Sale ans so it may or may not ever be released. Three years ago an announcement was made about this same thing and we were told it would be out for the Christmas season. Then it got delayed. Then was re-announced a year later and never materialized. So color me skeptical to say the least.

The razor looks to be a Chinese clone of EJ head design. It's likely zamac plated. And the handle looks rather suspect. If it actually shows up and turns out to be a good razor then great. But I'll wait for the reviews from the early adopters before I consider it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Guessing you didn't see this thread ...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I hope it's real, is introduced and is wildly successful.

If so, perhaps it heralds a more widespread resurgence in DE razor usage?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OK the pictures look doctored and fake. The listing on Amazon looks real. It's a Pre-Sale ans so it may or may not ever be released. Three years ago an announcement was made about this same thing and we were told it would be out for the Christmas season. Then it got delayed. Then was re-announced a year later and never materialized. So color me skeptical to say the least.

The razor looks to be a Chinese clone of EJ head design. It's likely zamac plated. And the handle looks rather suspect. If it actually shows up and turns out to be a good razor then great. But I'll wait for the reviews from the early adopters before I consider it.
Amazon will let me take it to Cart and pay for the pre-order. It is sold by Gillette. It is being released in Nov. which is the anniversary of their first patent. You are probably right that the head is zamak

What ever it looks like its real. Amazon will refund money if not satisfied. It certainly was not made in the USA and Gillette's machines that made razors years ago are long gone. But for $35 including two day Amazon Prime shipping its a bargain.

Respectfully, I don't believe Gillette has any such plan.

I suggest we are excited by an unfounded rumor. Besides there would be no viable market, because there is too much competition from used but good Gillette's on ebay and from small "here today, gone tomorrow" manufacturers. Gillette is in business to make money, not to make razors per se, or to bring back the olden days.

The day of the freshly minted, made in the USA Gillette razor are gone forever.

The ad in the original post listed only one available. That's not much of a business model.

Last edited:
I have to wonder why there's no other mentions of it on the web, other than a couple of shaving forums? Why isn't it being promoted? Why would it only be available on Amazon, and not available to the general public in brick and mortar stores??
Plus, it's not a typical Gillette DE razor - its the thick zamak head that you can get from many other vendors. If this is really being put out by Gillette, I think they would have done much better by re-releasing the pre-war Tech.
And last, but not least, the modern, woke P&G Gillette has been on many people's sh!# list for some time, so I for one am not that eager to give them any of my money.

Gillette is in business to make money, not to make razors per se, or to bring back the olden days.

Excellent point!! They would only go back to manufacturing and selling DE razors, if they got back in the DE razor blade business, which is apparently not as lucrative as the 8 blade disposable plastic cartridge business.

Yep it will at least be collectible due to the fact that it's their first in many years and if it's a hit great they continue and if not they get to say it was a limited edition. People had been saying they hope they made a new one even if only limited and it looks like they listened.

We have to keep in mind Proctor and Gamble owns Gillette. It's unlikely Gillette will make this razor. They will sell or lease the rights to a third party that's likely already making a clone. There is likely no risk to Gillette.

In my opinion, they shouldn't be thinking about selling one razor. On a regular basis, they could release newer models. You know how RAD goes. People will buy them all.

Optimistic me: it's a good start to the right direction, we just have to wait and see.

Pessimistic me: another zamak made EJ clone, nothing to be proud of Gillette!, I'd rather buy a brass vintage if it has to be a Gillette.

Top Bottom