What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

I pre-ordered on the 18th with a delivery date of the 5th. I haven't received any E-mails from Amazon about a delay, but have noticed on the order tracking it hasn't been shipped yet.

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 5.01.20 PM.png

You guys are so excited to try a R89. This hasn't happened since 2011. :tooth:
i recently found at the same thrift store - a ball-end old type, a new short comb head, and a contract tech handle that needs to be cleaned up and repainted, so it's probably for the best that this presale sold out before i could buy it...I've already got my hands full with "new (to me)" old Gillette stuff to play with.

From following this thread I've seen alotta criticism for the razor but pretty much universal praise for the old timey case it comes in. If Gillette can learn anything from this thread i think it's - the heck with the new razors: give us some empty cases to buy for Christmas! Think of all the thousands and thousands, maybe millions... of vintage gillettes out there from inheritances, flea markets, thrift shops, ebay, estate sales,,,,,bought/sold without boxes, all shivering cold in their new homes with no cases.

Last edited:
i recently found at the same thrift store - a ball-end old type, a new short comb head, and a contract tech handle that needs to be cleaned up and repainted, so it's probably for the best that this presale sold out before i could buy it...I've already got my hands full with "new (to me)" old Gillette stuff to play with.

From following this thread I've seen alotta criticism for the razor but pretty much universal praise for the old timey case it comes in. If Gillette can learn anything from this thread i think it's - the heck with the new razors: give us some empty cases to buy for Christmas! Think of all the thousands and thousands, maybe millions... of vintage gillettes out there from inheritances, flea markets, thrift shops, ebay, estate sales,,,,,bought/sold without boxes, all shivering cold in their new homes with no cases.

Yeah it's all about that case man. If they remade the Fatboy everyone would still fawn only over the case. So Gillette thought why waste all that money on super durable brass adjustable razor that will end up being thrown in landfills. Zamak is cheaper and will rot instantly.

I got this email this morning from Amazon. I ordered on Oct 17:

amazon delay.jpg

I accepted the delay, but this is looking a little....

Have A Great One!

If anyone receives one, or gets a shipped notification, please post. I ordered early in the day Oct 17 and have Prime, if that matters. I know the screen on Amazon initially stated a shipping date of Nov 4.

I ordered on October 20th and have not yet received an email. Amazon is still showing a delivery date of November 5th.

My father ordered one and received the same message. I told him i’d check here to see if others received similar notifications and sure enough, it looks like a lot of you guys did. I guess we’ll know what’s up by tomorrow. If no one receives their razor we’ll know something is afoot!

I hope that the delays don't mean this was simply a trial balloon.

If this was the case then Gillette would lose all credibility, and mantic59 is the only one that has one. By the way why hasn’t he made a video of it already it would be curious to see it case and all and with the new handle, I don’t know why he hasn’t released a video since he already has it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I got this email this morning from Amazon. I ordered on Oct 17:

View attachment 1031826

I accepted the delay, but this is looking a little....

Have A Great One!
Mine was ordered on the 19th and I haven't received this message. You'd think it would be first come first serve as far as dispatching. I'll post any update. I think they messed up when they said they were unavailable, then became available again, and then unavailable.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I would be curious if those who are receiving these notices how many are Stateside? If and when I get the notice the first thing I'll do is contact Amazon and Gillette and find out how, why, and who messed up. Just to see if either would take any responsibility and exactly how it got turned into a cluster...

Last edited:
I ordered on the 16th and my Orders page shows:

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. Please check back again

I don't know how often AMAZON send out messages like those, but the only time I ever received one.....I got another, then another, and another....and another....several of them, I think there was even a time I got two in the same day. I would always click to accept the delay.

Long story short, the only time I ever received those e-mails - AMAZON eventually ended up cancelling my order.

Top Bottom