What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Yep, if it is zamak, then it is a non-starter. There are already plenty of decent zamak razors available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It's sold and shipped by Gillette through the Gillette store front on Amazon. It's legit no matter where the razor was made.

Its not shipped by Gillette. Its being shipped by Amazon from their warehouse.

It's impossible to tell if Amazon is shipping from their warehouse or not. They are trending towards virtual warehouses where the product can ship from anywhere. In fact, in 10 or 15 years, there will likely be no more Amazon warehouses.

Got one. Insert LOLZ as necessary.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Optimistic me: it's a good start to the right direction, we just have to wait and see.

Pessimistic me: another zamak made EJ clone, nothing to be proud of Gillette!, I'd rather buy a brass vintage if it has to be a Gillette.
Isn’t that literally everyone on this forum?!?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This is what we have wanted right? They've gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Well, with the resources of P&G behind them you would think they would come up with something that was truly their own in terms of the head instead of copying one of the most copied heads on the market today. Or just reissue one of the original razors like the Tech. I'm scratching my head at this one.

Well, with the resources of P&G behind them you would think they would come up with something that was truly their own in terms of the head instead of copying one of the most copied heads on the market today. Or just reissue one of the original razors like the Tech. I'm scratching my head at this one.

The razor is a Gillette made in 1929. The clones are copying that razor.

The razor is a Gillette made in 1929. The clones are copying that razor.

The razor shown on the Amazon site appears to be some clone of an EJ DE89 or Muhle 89 or the like. Gillette never made a razor head like that. And in 1929 Gillette was making mostly open comb razors with stabilizer pins. That would be the Old Type, The NEW and the New Improved. I think the Tech came out in the late 30s. So, what razor is this that you say was made in 1929?

The razor shown on the Amazon site appears to be some clone of an EJ DE89 or Muhle 89 or the like. Gillette never made a razor head like that. And in 1929 Gillette was making mostly open comb razors with stabilizer pins. That would be the Old Type, The NEW and the New Improved. I think the Tech came out in the late 30s. So, what razor is this that you say was made in 1929?

I'm just going by what the listing on Amazon said. It was inspired by a razor made by Gillette in 1929.

The first double-edged or safety razors were Manufactured by King C Gillette in 1901. Inspired by the original 1929 Gillette Double edge Razor "the new", today’s Gillette Double edge Razor features all-metal construction in a classic chrome finish, A closed comb design as well as a stylish handle with micro engraving for improved grip. This classic 3-pc razor set comes in a handsome brown case with rich brown interior lining and 5 Gillette Platinum double-edge safety razor blades. The perfect gift for fans of timeless design, or simply to elevate your own everyday shave.

I'm just going by what the listing on Amazon said. It was inspired by a razor made by Gillette in 1929.

I know. I saw the "description". I'm guessing that is just their marketing "story". The NEW first appeared in 1929 but was an open comb razor. The Common Bar handle they are clearly copying appeared later, in the early 30's. But I've never seen a razor head like that one produced by Gillette before. That head is most definitely NOT the NEW.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Err...no. See MM62 above.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Why would they invest heavily in a nascent market segment with a product that is new and thus untested?

It makes far more sense to take a popular design that there is a market for and tweak it.

We have been lamenting what P&G did to the market for safety razors. Let's applaud their first tentative step in the right direction.

Why would they invest heavily in a nascent market segment with a product that is new and thus untested?

It makes far more sense to take a popular design that there is a market for and tweak it.

We have been lamenting what P&G did to the market for safety razors. Let's applaud their first tentative step in the right direction.

I'm applauding.

Top Bottom