What's new

Gillette TechMatic: World's worst razor?

I used a Techmatic for several months. I don't remember it being a bad shave or cutting myself. Of course I was just starting out and my beard was very light.

I do know that the first time I tried a Track II the Techmatic went in the trash.

The Techmatic was my second razor. I first had a Fatboy, but "upgraded" to the new technology of the Techmatic. Must have been late '60's when I was in high school. It shredded my face--always felt like there was a kink in the blade. I hated that thing.

Strange that not one person liked this razor. My father says that the Techmatic gave him the best shave ever and only stoped using it when he could no longer find the replacement blade/cartridges.

I must be the supreme weirdo of all shavedom. Every time I read a thread about band razors I am stupefied. I have used the Techmatic several times and it gives me very good shaves. I also have a Schick with Instamatic Super Chromium adjustable cartridges and it shaves absolutely wonderfully and effortlessly. I have never experienced any of the difficulties that are mentioned in this thread.

My biggest memory of the techmatic was that it was so hard to clean out the whiskers in the corners of the band. I did not like it, went on to use a double edge, also had an injector at one point.

I see I'm not alone in thinking it remains the worst razor ever made. It was also the first I ever owned. I tried my father's DE and was a bloody mess, so my mother brought that home for me from the grocery store. I was also a sophomore, 1972. Google it, switch to images, and there IS a photo of an astronaut using it in space. Looked cool, but it was hideous.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I tried one awhile ago. Also the Schick band razor as well. It was an experience that's for sure.
But it wasn't the worst either.

I don't know anything about the techmatic or the schick band razor but both look like I'd have a better shot of shaving my face with a band saw.

It was my first razor--back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

It was ghastly.

Not sure if I ever saw that blade lie flat. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

I don't know anything about the techmatic or the schick band razor but both look like I'd have a better shot of shaving my face with a band saw.
I hadn't thought about it at the time, but I "collected" the razors I had bought and not liked, or had set aside for whatever reason, and they were still here and there in back corners of bathroom drawers thirty and forty years later. However, I hadn't been as much of a hoarder earlier, or maybe the "inactive" ones were put out for garage sales by my second wife.

I recall seeing those two band-types advertised, but never had an interest in trying them, same as I had no interest in the adjustable Injector razors.

Used one in my teens and although the shaves weren't terrible, they weren't great either. The thing that made it worse for me though was that as the blade got duller I simply adjusted the setting from Lo to Hi thinking I could stretch a bit more life out of that section of the band. :) Thrifty teenager that I was. Eventually went to a Trac II when they came out.

Nice concept, lousy implementation.

The Techmatic was a solution looking for a problem to solve. The blade was wavy and the thought of the band exploding like a clock spring out of the head used to give me the willies. Did not use it very long as I remember.

I just bought one of these by mistake. In the case with one fresh edge left. I thought I had an adjustable injector. Imagine what I muttered under my breath when I found this thread. (By that point, I still hadn't looked it over well yet.) I was going to put it on BST, but maybe I'll trash it and keep the case (After cutting a tab off the inside of the lid) for my fat boy.

Top Bottom