What's new

Gillette Tech

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My post this morning in the 'What are you Unpacking' thread. Since it pertains to the Gillette Tech, I thought it would also fit here. :)

New (to me) 1953 Tech Set #34. Made in Germany. With Stock and Maggard MR11 handles.

photostudio_1570505163857.jpg
photostudio_1570505044226.jpg
photostudio_1570504934385.jpg
photostudio_1570504744467.jpg

I'll be loading up a Kai for tomorrow's shave.

It will be interesting to see how close it gets to the Hybrid Tech.

YMMV

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ebay app keeps saying no results found
Doing it in the browser shows the store page with no items, unfortunately

Paste seller:techichi_shave in the eBay search line and you should be able to find him.

You should also check the Buy-Sell-Trade room right here at B&B. Some great deals on some great razors. :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just curious about the semi-transparent washer/o-ring you are using and it purpose?
Got that idea from the gentleman from whom I got my Hybrid Tech. The washer goes between the bottom plate and the handle to (hopefully) prevent the circular wear marks from tightening the handle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Had my first shave with the Gillette 1953 German Tech #34. Used the Maggard MR11 handle (with nylon washer to protect the bottom plate ;)).

As posted in the "What did you use today?" thread:

Shave 20191008

Pre-shave: Wash face with Neutrogena
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Gillette 1953 German Tech #34 w/MR11
Blade: Kai (1)
Post-shave: Thai Alum
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus minor buffing and touch--up.

DFS+. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9+/10

The 1953 German #34 Tech is an excellent razor. Is it as good as the Hybrid Tech? I don't think it quite matches up to the Hybrid Tech. I'll know for sure tonight when I use the same Kai blade in the Hybrid.

In any event, the 1953 German #34 Tech is an excellent razor. Matches up beautifully to the Kai blade and provided me with a really nice, clean, close shave. Highly recommended razor for those who appreciate what the Tech can do.

My current Tech preferences:

1. Hybrid Tech
2. German #34 Tech
3. Flat Bottom Tech
4. Pre-war Fat Handle (Canada, triangle slots)
5. Pre-war Fat Handle (USA, triangle slots)
6. Post-war Fat Handle (Canada & USA, oval slots)
6. Mid-1950s English Ball Handle (heavy)
8. Everything else ;)

The Hybrid Tech stands above the others. The German #34 Tech is a very worthy contender.

Both the Hybrid and the #34 are pretty rare, only made for one year (please correct if I am in error on this).

The Flat Bottom and the Pre-war Fat Handle Canadian are very good razors and are much more readily available.

As always, just my opinion and YMMV.

Had my first shave with the Gillette 1953 German Tech #34. Used the Maggard MR11 handle (with nylon washer to protect the bottom plate ;)).

As posted in the "What did you use today?" thread:

Shave 20191008

Pre-shave: Wash face with Neutrogena
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Gillette 1953 German Tech #34 w/MR11
Blade: Kai (1)
Post-shave: Thai Alum
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus minor buffing and touch--up.

DFS+. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9+/10

The 1953 German #34 Tech is an excellent razor. Is it as good as the Hybrid Tech? I don't think it quite matches up to the Hybrid Tech. I'll know for sure tonight when I use the same Kai blade in the Hybrid.

In any event, the 1953 German #34 Tech is an excellent razor. Matches up beautifully to the Kai blade and provided me with a really nice, clean, close shave. Highly recommended razor for those who appreciate what the Tech can do.

My current Tech preferences:

1. Hybrid Tech
2. German #34 Tech
3. Flat Bottom Tech
4. Pre-war Fat Handle (Canada, triangle slots)
5. Pre-war Fat Handle (USA, triangle slots)
6. Post-war Fat Handle (Canada & USA, oval slots)
6. Mid-1950s English Ball Handle (heavy)
8. Everything else ;)

The Hybrid Tech stands above the others. The German #34 Tech is a very worthy contender.

Both the Hybrid and the #34 are pretty rare, only made for one year (please correct if I am in error on this).

The Flat Bottom and the Pre-war Fat Handle Canadian are very good razors and are much more readily available.

As always, just my opinion and YMMV.

Got that idea from the gentleman from whom I got my Hybrid Tech. The washer goes between the bottom plate and the handle to (hopefully) prevent the circular wear marks from tightening the handle.
Would you happen to remember what
Size that washer is , I'm going to look
Around the internet and see if I can find
The best/correct one to go on some of
My razors.

I shaved for the first time with my new Fat Handle Tech this morning.
The razor is incredibly comfortable in the hand and has a good grip even if your fingers are wet.
I loaded the razor with a Voskhod and lathered up a good lather with Arko shaving stick and began to shave.

The razor feels a bit more aggressive than my Ball End Tech and not as smooth, but it may be because I was trying to shave with the same technique as I use with my Ball End Tech (You know, a Tech is a Tech is a tech ... ).

Gradually as I tried to adapt my technique to this razor it felt better and more smooth.
After the second pass and some buffing, I had a nice DFS.
The only downside after shaving was a slight irritation to my neck and some minor weepers, but it was probably due to the wrong technique, and maybe the wrong blade.
Next shave will be tomorrow and then I'll try it with a Gillette Nacet blade.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I shaved for the first time with my new Fat Handle Tech this morning.
The razor is incredibly comfortable in the hand and has a good grip even if your fingers are wet.
I loaded the razor with a Voskhod and lathered up a good lather with Arko shaving stick and began to shave.

The razor feels a bit more aggressive than my Ball End Tech and not as smooth, but it may be because I was trying to shave with the same technique as I use with my Ball End Tech (You know, a Tech is a Tech is a tech ... ).

Gradually as I tried to adapt my technique to this razor it felt better and more smooth.
After the second pass and some buffing, I had a nice DFS.
The only downside after shaving was a slight irritation to my neck and some minor weepers, but it was probably due to the wrong technique, and maybe the wrong blade.
Next shave will be tomorrow and then I'll try it with a Gillette Nacet blade.

Tech's do seem to vary in their aggresiveness.

I like the fat handle too, but it doesn't seem to be as popular. People complain about the lightness in the handle, probably because they are used to the Merkur 34C.

I also like the bakelite handle. It's rare to get one of those in good condition.

Tech's do seem to vary in their aggresiveness...

Actually, they don't as Gillette held good specs for a non-CNC World. I have measured the blade gap on pre-war, post-war, ball end & English (flat bottom & ball end) and they all were within approx. + or - 0.002". That's damn good for today, let alone mid 20th century.

Personally, I don't think there is any difference in how they shave except that the post-war has better blade rigidity and shaves ever so slightly smoother. Blade gap/exposure is the same on all aforementioned.

Top Bottom