What's new

Gillette Tech

So I never really understood the fascination with vintage razors. I thought new, modern, precision stainless steel was the ideal. And then my friend Joe put a gold-plated post-war Tech in my hands. I was instantly intrigued. I cleaned it up, loaded a new blade, and took it for a spin. 3 months later, I’m now the proud owner of a 3 more: rhodium plated Slim, stock Fatboy, and a rhodium plated British Aristocrat. I’ll always be grateful for my friend showing me how amazing vintage razors can be!

I agree, I never understood the hype with vintage razors, the new shiny ones was the deal lol
When I started wetshaving some 4-5 years ago I was only shaving with new shiny razors and was very pleased with it.
Then I came across some vintage razors, like the Swedish Matador, Schick Krona and an old Ball End Tech.
Now I mostly use my vintage razors and sometimes one of the newer ones.
My favorites right now is Gillette Rocket HD, Gillette Ball End Tech and Lady Gillette.

2 more converts for vintage joy YAY :punk:

This board's own It's Hedley PIF'd me a pre-war Tech and I instantly fell in love. It's the smoothest, most comfortable shave I've ever had. I'm a one-woman man but I'll never be a one-razor man. If I was though, that one razor would be my Tech. I experimented with a 1930s long comb for the first time this weekend and that thing was pretty darn agressive. Of course I reached for my trusty Tech this morning to give my face a break.

I shaved with a Tech on Saturday. It's one that would have been picked up when my dad was in the navy in the late 1950's. It's still in perfect condition and polishes up nicely.
It's a classic and also a family heirloom designed to last for future generations. It's also built from brass and not the cheaper pot metal zamak that's used nowadays even in more expensive razors.
Congratulations!

The two greatest days in a Tech owner's shaving career are the day he buys his first Tech and then the day he truly learns how to use the Tech properly. That usually "kills" any real need for some over priced artisan razor currently made which really doesn't shave any better.

The two greatest days in a Tech owner's shaving career are the day he buys his first Tech and then the day he truly learns how to use the Tech properly. That usually "kills" any real need for some over priced artisan razor currently made which really doesn't shave any better.
+1

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I love techs!
full

IMHO, a Tech is the best razor to give to someone who is starting traditional shaving. I think I've given away at least half a dozen. I still have 5 or 6 Techs, with a Canadian 1952 ball end (gold) and a Canadian pre-war fatty in regular rotation.
Those dang ore war Canadian techs sure are hard to come by ! I’ve been looking for one for some time and I’ve had no luck!

The Techs that I use in rotation are a 1962 and 1964 Ball End US made. The other one that I consider one of the best shavers out of all my razors is the English made 1965 model. It has a striped handle, aluminum I believe. They all have different head geometry, the ‘’65 cuts closer , is more aggressive than the others. I like that fact.

I really love using my Gillette Tech razors. The mildness of them is a huge bonus for me. BBS shaves are usually what I aim for so being able to go over areas repeatedly with a decent blade in them without irritation is easy. The ball end models 1950s and 60s models are the only ones I use. I’ve got an older fat handled one but do not like the feel of it. It’s weird, using my other razors like the Slims and OC razors don’t interest me much anymore. The Tech gives me at least the same results without too much fuss. Who here has the same love for this vastly underrated Gillette classic? What are your thoughts on it? Thanks!
Even with a mild razor, going over and over the same place never worked for me... I feel sore and with red little pimples. I did have a EJ DE89 that is THE recommended razor for beginners - Honestly - NEVER had a great shave and very often razor burns as I had to pass several times some specific area.

Tried the TECH recently - too mild and so so shave. I have coarse hair. I need something more efficient.

It all began for me with a hand me down tech my Uncle gave me in the early 60s. I can't remember ever being without one.
My Grandsons and Son in Law all have one now, and began their journey with them also.

Loved my English Ball ended aluminium and purchased another two techs. An English thin handled flat bottom (FB) and an English 50's fat handled tech. Got the best ones I could find but am reluctant to use them, cant break that cellophane! Will eventually get another FB tech to see if it shaves like the OC FB New.

Feather blades on standby just to scratch that Tech itch.

I agree! My first vintage razor was a post-war, Ball End Tech, and while I enjoyed using it, I thought it was too mild. Only after I improved my shaving skills, was I able to properly wield it, to achieve a shave that compares to my '46-'47 Aristocrat.

I have around a dozen different Techs now, and the one that's in my weekly rotation is my pre-war Fat Handle Tech.

I think I'll take 2 or 3 weeks and rotate through all my Techs, and see if there's another I might prefer more.

Top Bottom