What's new

Gillette Tech Y3 1953 Zinc Alloy or Brass?

Hello Everyone,

Are the 1953 "Y" date Gillette Techs brass or zinc-alloy heads? The razor in question has the "Gillette" logo etched on the top cap.

Thanks Much

I think it should be all brass. The contract Techs from the WWII had zamak and/or steel handles and/or baseplates, but I believe they all still had brass caps. Super Speeds went steel and/or aluminum during the Korean War, W and X date codes, some Ys were still being made of leftover parts. Some Techs may have too, I'm not sure. The Zamak caps didn't start until the mid 60s. So I would say it's most likely all brass, but nothing is out of the realm of possibilities.

Just double checking. If it has the "Gillette" logo etched on the top cap, could it still be brass?

Thanks Again

Just double checking. If it has the "Gillette" logo etched on the top cap, could it still be brass?

Thanks Again
Left is a W-2 '51 brass cap and base plate, plastic handle. Right is a P-2 '70 zamak cap, brass baseplate aluminum handle. Hope this helps.
P1080338(r1rs).jpg

This is one of the reasons why I weigh the caps, combs, and handles of the vintage razors I buy. Without access to the manufacturers specs, basic principles of physics can answer many questions.
For example, the difference between a 102 & 102a is 4 grams. There is a weight difference in the caps as well as the combs if you can't see the difference with the naked eye.

This is one of the reasons why I weigh the caps, combs, and handles of the vintage razors I buy. Without access to the manufacturers specs, basic principles of physics can answer many questions.
For example, the difference between a 102 & 102a is 4 grams. There is a weight difference in the caps as well as the combs if you can't see the difference with the naked eye.

+1! Data talks! This is a great way to answer the question!

R

romsitsa

Hello,

some (all?) of the black contract and bakelite handle Techs had zamak caps. At least they are grey under the black paint. But I also suspect these were military issue and civilian sets retained brass heads.

Adam

Thanks for the info!!

Top Bottom