What's new

Gillette Tech Razor, Is it Da Bomb?!

Dear BBers,
I think I am a semi-fan of Pre-war Tech.
It always performs great with much smoothness.
I can always shave easy when using Tech.
Hybrid Tech seems to be a dream for many wet-shavers.
Is Hybrid Tech more efficient than Pre-war Tech?
In Tech clones, is there any razors which is more efficient than Pre-war (triangular slot) one?
Thanks for your inputs.
I haven't yet tried a Tech Clone that was truly better than the early Gillette Techs.

The pre-war is one of the best, however the ones made in the next few years after that (early 50's) are also very good. The Canadian triangle-slots are arguably better than the American ones. I prefer the all-brass Techs.

I haven't tried the Hybrid Tech, but I understand it is slightly more efficient than the others. They are rare, though.

I must be the odd one out here because I think the post war Techs are better. I wouldn't pay $50 for a Tech if you haven't already tried one and really like them. However the price of really good examples is going up so a good one is worth what you want to pay for it.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Hybrid Tech is an incredibly smooth and effective razor. Shaves so smooth it's "just like butter". :)

The German #34 is also excellent - albeit not at the pinnacle of Techs that is the Hybrid - but seems to be less available than the Hybrid.

The English Flat Bottom, Canadian Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle, USA Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle and 1950s heavy (63g) English Ball End Techs are more common, are reasonable priced and will give you a lifetime of incredible shaves.

YMMV

I have several Tech clones. All offer respectably close and smooth shaves. Most are as-good, but none are any better than an actual Pre War Tech.

The top one is a 50's brass made in England with RR HD handle.
Bottom is 50's/60's aluminium base plate, zamak head, with RR Radio knob handle.

1585060538046.png

I didn't like the Radio knob handle on any other razor. It always felt off balance but on the Lighter Tech it's great.
Both razors shave extremely well and are much smoother than pre war Techs.

1585060639739.png

Heavier handles don't make a razor more aggressive but they can make them more efficient.

I have a US pre war tech. It's my first DE. I really like it, but would love to find a Tech made in England. I can't find them anywhere. I guess you just have to be patient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a US pre war tech. It's my first DE. I really like it, but would love to find a Tech made in England. I can't find them anywhere. I guess you just have to be patient.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Techs. You have, in my opinion, one of the finest Techs ever produced. :thumbup:

Are you looking for a specific era or type of English Tech? English Flat Bottom? English 1950s Heavy (63g) Ball Handle?

There are lots of Techs out there and lots of Tech Fanatics around these parts. Someone may, hopefully, be able to assist. :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Techs. You have, in my opinion, one of the finest Techs ever produced. :thumbup:

Are you looking for a specific era or type of English Tech? English Flat Bottom? English 1950s Heavy (63g) Ball Handle?

There are lots of Techs out there and lots of Tech Fanatics around these parts. Someone may, hopefully, be able to assist. :)

Thanks @never-stop-learning! I'm looking for an English Flat Bottom for the most part. I've found a 50's English Tech with a short handle, but haven't sprung on it. There are so many different ones. I do prefer the older one, but I really can't say that with any authority because I've only used the Pre War Tech thus far. I just want to experiment.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks @never-stop-learning! I'm looking for an English Flat Bottom for the most part. I've found a 50's English Tech with a short handle, but haven't sprung on it. There are so many different ones. I do prefer the older one, but I really can't say that with any authority because I've only used the Pre War Tech thus far. I just want to experiment.

The discussion around the Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle Techs is the slightly more (to some) efficient Pre-war vs. the increased blade support in the Post-war.

Then there's the whole Made in Canada vs. Made in the USA preference. ;)

I love the English Flat Bottom Tech - one of my favorite Techs. Bettered (slightly) by only the 1947 English Hybrid Tech and the 1953 German #34 (both difficult and/or expensive to find).

All of this is just my opinion and YMMV.

Have fun with your Tech journey. :)

Techs are mighty fine razors.
Nothing fancy nor expensive, they get the job done. A working mans razor from days gone by. With a sharp blade and good technique it’s quite easy to get a BBS shave as good as one from a more aggressive razor.
I think as far as vintage razors go they’re Gillette’s best kept secret... if you’ve never shaved with one you are missing out on an American classic.

Razorhead

My first DE razor I ever bought was a British made aluminum Tech. That razor shaves wonderfully. I prefer a sharp blade with my Tech. There's no need for me to have any other razors since I have a razor like that. But I'd love to get my hands on another British made Tech if I could find one for the right price.

Reactions: NPK
Agreed! My first DE, and only at the moment, is a Pre War Tech. I've only used it a few times, but it's a great DE for beginners and will work for a lifetime I'm sure.

My first shave with this razor I didn't even get a nick. It's very mild. I can't wait to add more techs to my collection.
prewartech_01.JPG
prewartech_02.JPG

Back when I got into this whole thing, the generally recommended starter razor was a Tech (along with some others like the EJ89 and the Merkur 34c). It's almost foolproof and rewards good technique with excellent shaves. I wish I'd listened back then, as I might not have gone down the razor rabbit hole looking for something better than what I had.

It is good to revisit the Tech. The Tech was my first razor - one my father gave to me after he shaved with it for many years. I shaved with it for about a year and then bought the Gillette Adjustable - now known as the Fat Boy - when I saw an ad for it. The Tech got put away and I never went back to it. As a 15-year old I loved playing with the adjustments on the FB!

I found a Tech at a flea market a few years ago. At first, I thought it was beyond help but for $5 I bought it and cleaned it up. After several baths and cleanings, it looked good. I never used it and gave it to one of my sons - who still uses it.

After reading this thread I bought a Tech on eBay - 64 years later. I was really surprised at how good it is. In fact, I used it again today. I prefer heavier razors but this is one of my favorite razors. I just wish I knew what happened to the Tech my father gave me.

I have 2 triangle slot Techs and 1 mid 50s, the pre ‘46 ball end Techs are about the perfect razor (for me) but I have come down with a case of liking buying old razors and have a nice Red Tip and Slim on the way so we’ll see.

My old Merkur Heavy Duty is never used anymore ever since the first triangle tech arrived.

Eyeing a Flat Bottom Tech now but starting bid at $70...how much better could it really be?

B7E160C7-4253-4E05-AE1B-F3CFCD56DC9B.jpeg

Top Bottom