What's new

Gillette Tech - n00bs, don't get caught up in the" macho aggressive razors" thing!

I broke out my Fat Handle Canadian Tech for today's shave. I only picked it up recently and this was my first shave with this razor. I have a tough beard, so I used a Feather blade hoping to offset the notoriously mild shave that accompanies the Gillette Tech.

It was a great shave. Smooth and comfortable. Not as close as some other razors, but the difference was truly negligable.

Question: My Tech has "1932" stamped on it. Is that the date it was manufactured? Or is that a generic date stamped on Techs during a prolonged period of time?

You're welcome, Jason. Glad you enjoyed the Tech! :thumbup1:

I think I mentioned it earlier, I picked this Canadian Tech up a couple of weeks ago at an antique store in a small town we were visiting.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Afternoon Gents,

So I too shaved with my triangular slotted fat handled tech today. I had my Tech head on my Maggard MR1 handle. I found it to be less forgiving then the Fatboy that I have been using of late. I think I would certainly recommend the adjustable over the tech to a newbie just because of all of the options that are within the one razor. I think I will try the regular slotted tech tomorrow just to feel the difference. I gotta shave with these razors I own at some point anyways right? Dont get me wrong I had a comfortable shave today, no weepers, minimal irritation, but still not quite the handy cap that I get with the fatboy. However, there were areas that were WAY easier to reach with the 3 peice tech, like right below my ear, behind my jawline. I found it way easier to take a pass with the tech then it is with the fatboy. So, I have to give the tech more time, settle in and learn to best utilize the benefits it offers. Not bad for a first shave with this particular tool and Im excited about the YEARS to come because I have a feeling I will be getting to know all of my precious razors very well. Thanks Edgar for the enlightenment, I consider you a friend.

Thanks Edgar for the enlightenment, I consider you a friend.

Thanks for the kind words, David. I consider you a friend too. :thumbup1:

You are right, it all comes with experience, and I am sure you will enjoy your Techs even more, as well as your other razors.
All have their place in your rotation! :thumbup1:

My AS-D1 does wonderful for me. Not sure if the AS-D2 is worth the upgrade. ??

A local guy bought a feather hoping that he was going to magically have perfect shaves going from a merker hd. He said he still felt tugging and didnt enjoy it as much as he hoped. Of course, he wasn't a member of B&B YET so I did my best to offer a warm invitation to our great forum. Then I tried to tell him that preshave can go a very long way, then I thought to ask him what soap he is using, then I thought about asking him about what brush and aftershave and .. . . ... then I just saved all of my opinions and offered him another warm welcome and suggested a few threads for him to look at. Because after all "opinions are like...." lol. While I talk about opinions I might as well throw one in. I think no matter what razor you have, it all boils down to experience/technique/angle/PRESSURE, plus a bunch of other stuff. Hehe

Last edited:
I lucked in to a post-war Tech today. And, it just so happened that I got a Maggard MR8 in the mail today, as well.

I attached the Tech head to the MR8 handle, and along with a Feather blade, got my best shave ever, in almost 40 years of shaving (!).

This beast of a Frakenrazor weighs in at 176 grams! I highly recommend all you adventurous types to try it. All it will cost you is the 25 bucks for the MR8.

Here is the related thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/418352-Today-s-Flea-Market-Score!

Very much looking forward to try out the Tech I picked up this morning - quick question for the Tech users, do you have a particular favourite blade to use with them? Do they pair up with certain blades particularly well (or badly)?

got my best shave ever, in almost 40 years of shaving (!).

I had a nice smooth shave with my Canadisn Tech this morning.
Thanks, Edgar, for the prompting.

That's great, guys! :thumbup:

Do they pair up with certain blades particularly well (or badly)?

Well, I think most people would tell you they pair well with sharper blades, such as Feathers, etc ... I am not a big Feather fan so I use Gillette Platinum, which in my opinion are just as sharp, and a LOT smoother too.

You will love the Tech, congrats on the score!

Very much looking forward to try out the Tech I picked up this morning - quick question for the Tech users, do you have a particular favourite blade to use with them? Do they pair up with certain blades particularly well (or badly)?

I find any blade I own performs well in my Tech. Many blades I will only use in mild razors such as Derby and Shark.

I seem to be the odd man out here - I enjoy my smooth blades in my Techs (Red IPs, Astra SPs and Shark SS's) more than my sharp blades (Black Indian 7 O'clocks and Polsilver SIs). Go figure but it's a fact!

Four Techs - two pre date code, two mid 60s. Fantastic razors. Toss in a Feather and rock away. Tend to nick myself more because they are so smooth and mild i don't pay proper attention!

Top Bottom