What's new

Gillette Tech identification

Hello folks,

I was visiting my Mom and somehow the conversation turned to the razors that I inherited from my Dad. Among them was a 1951 (or '50?) Tech that was brought over and gifted to him by an English friend. But, after talking to my Mom, it turns out that he had several Techs ranging from the mid-'40s to the early '70s based on when he bought them. Now, I'm wondering if the Tech that I have is actually the razor that I thought it was. (I'm also wondering what happened to the rest of them. Anyway...)

Is anybody able to confirm what this is? Seems to match up with the early '50s English-made Techs at mr-razor.com. Here are some crappy photos:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are fantastic razors. I have heaps of them. I call it a Ball End Tech. Use it an enjoy it and remember your dad when you use it. I like using my heirloom razors.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I don't know the answer to your question, but congratulations on the heirloom. I wish I had some from my grandfather. Enjoy the shaves!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yeah, I think it is an early 1950’s Ball Handle Tech. As I said before great razor.

I recently Pif'ed a 1954 British Ball End to my brother....a (ahem) cartridge razor user for decades...

He says he actually looks forward to shaving now and loves the razor.

Techs are fine razors
Good shavers, mild yet effective paired with a sharp blade.
The ball end Techs are the ones I use for most of my shaves. 👍👍👍

My thanks to all of you fine gentlemen for your comments!

They are fantastic razors. I have heaps of them. I call it a Ball End Tech. Use it an enjoy it and remember your dad when you use it. I like using my heirloom razors.
I certainly do think of my Dad when I use this razor. I remember him shaving with it (or one of the others) when I was just a kid. A Tech was the first razor that I got into my grubby little hands. I think that every boy of a certain age remembers their Dad letting them lather up and play with their razors (without blades). :001_smile

I don't know the answer to your question, but congratulations on the heirloom. I wish I had some from my grandfather. Enjoy the shaves!
Thanks, Brandon. This is my favourite razor. I use it everytime to clean up after I scrape my face with my Slim (also handed down to me from my Dad). (p.s. Go Canucks!)

1953 Ball End Tech, to be exact
I think that you're right. I have one of the blades (still unused) that came with it and the mr-razor site states that the 1953 Tech and Coronation Sets came with "Y1" blades. I can actually see "Y1" imprinted on the blade without peeling off the wax paper. The photos of the regular Tech Set don't look like my razor, but the one from the

So, it's a 1953 Ball-End Tech. I remember that my Dad had a case with a crown stamped on it which makes me suspect that this razor was from a Coronation Set. Unfortunately, my Mom says that he boxed up most of his wet shaving stuff and sold it at a garage sale back in the '80s.

Therefore, I suspect that the other Techs (and who knows what other treasures) are lost forever. :sad:

Your Dad was a Gentleman of refined taste, congratulations on finding a cherished memory.
Yes, he certainly was a cultured man and one of upstanding character. He taught me all of the things that I needed to know: work hard; respect others and value their viewpoints; fight when you have to; sacrifice when you have to; always cherish your family; compassion is not a weakness. He was one of the greatest influences in my life and I miss him everyday.

Thank you for the compliment.

Great razor!! Congratulations on the heirloom!! :a14: :a14:
Thanks! It is one of my most treasured possessions.

Love the 1950s British Ball End Techs!

Enjoy your shaves with your dad's razor. Definitely something special.
Yup, I have always found Techs (and this one, in particular) to offer spectacular shaves. And, as you said, it just makes things more special knowing that it belonged to my Dad.

I recently Pif'ed a 1954 British Ball End to my brother....a (ahem) cartridge razor user for decades...

He says he actually looks forward to shaving now and loves the razor.
A Ball-End Tech is a great way to convert someone. I hope that he will become a passion that he can enjoy for many more decades to come!

Techs are fine razors
Good shavers, mild yet effective paired with a sharp blade.
The ball end Techs are the ones I use for most of my shaves. 👍👍👍
Yes, they are. As mentioned above, I use it to touch up after I use my Slim. You said it perfectly: Mild, yet effective. It offers very close shaves, but I never have any irritation afterwards.

Great score and story!

Just wondering how you narrowed it down to 1953.
Thanks, Doug!

I suspect that something about my Tech is so distinctive that it was obvious that it was from 1953.

Either that or Rob is psychic and knew that this razor came with Y1 blades. (Or he's with the NSA and he's surveilling my house. :laugh:)

How do I know it? Well ... lets just say based on 30+ years of using and collecting vintage Gillette razors. Another hint (but not only), location of stamped marks with respect to corner tabs, slots and center hole. Before and later years have other variations. Made in England Gillettes are very specific ... with experience

Top Bottom