What's new

Gillette Tech id

Hi,

Just recieved a Gillette tech and I was wondering what the fabrication date was?

35 grams weight
4 nothes at the corners of the base plate
no inscriptions

IMG_20211227_105250183.jpgIMG_20211227_105231740.jpgIMG_20211227_105058772.jpg
Looking forward for your answers, thanks.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Your pics are quite unclear. I can’t see any discernible writing on the baseplate. But that looks like a standard British Tech. Early 70’s most likely. Might have a lightweight aluminum handle.

Looks like a 70s Spiral Tech. Can't quite make out the date code on the base plate. There should be a letter and a number to properly date it. I have a pair and they are great shavers. I prefer a heavier handle however.

Thx for the answers. 70's was my opinion also...
Strange that baseplate is fully blank, no letters, numbers, gillette marking... nothing at all.

Does it just say 'Made in England' anywhere? I am not expecting any other markings.
It is a British or U.S military issue Tech, circa 1970.

It was manufactured in England, and then oddly imported or sent to the U.S, where they were packaged in white cardboard boxes marked 'Adams Safety Razors. For double edged blades. Comb Edge. All metal. 7971. Clay Adams, Parsippany, N.J'

The boxes are weirdly marked 'Made In Germany' although all the ones I have seen have a cardboard slip in the razor head saying 'Cap and guard manufactured in UK. Razor assembled in the U.S.A by the safety razor division of the Gillette Company, Boston, Mass..' I can only assume the Germany reference is to handle manufacture.

I think they were part of a large military contract. There are several NOS examples on the bay at the moment.
The examples I have seen are ball-ended aluminum handles, though I think they were standard ended aluminum handles too.

Last edited:
Interesting, no markings at all, not even 'made in England'.
I am pretty sure it is one of a large series of contracts that spanned 1970-80's for at least the U.S and British militaries and maybe many others. I have found another example with a different box marked 'B. Sharp Blades Ltd Deer Park N.Y 11729'. The box seems to be early 70's with the same razor set up. This example comes with 'Hammer' Brand S/S blades in packs of 5. These appear to be G.I issue as I have found a whole 100 tuck of them selling separately in a box with the U.S Army designation, 'Blade, Razor, Type II' or similar with an NSN number. They were on the bay about a month ago.

The English Techs are sloppy with markings. My obviously mid late 60's Tech does not have any date codes. Yours does seem to be the issued Tech, down to not having 'Gillette' on the razor head top. The examples in the bay pics are just the same. I think the little card in the head served as sole I.D. Only diff is yours is not ball-end but I think that's not critical for identifying it as part of one of these contracts I strongly suspect. I think they used both ball end and plain spiral aluminum handles.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It was manufactured in England, and then oddly imported or sent to the U.S, where they were packaged in white cardboard boxes marked 'Adams Safety Razors. For double edged blades. Comb Edge. All metal. 7971. Clay Adams, Parsippany, N.J’
A few years ago I bought a 5 pack of these NOS British Techs in the Adams boxes for under $15 each razor. They are now going for triple that or more. I should have bough 15 more at that time. Who knew. I bought them to PIF to new wet shavers, etc.

Top Bottom