What's new

Gillette tech historians - Bakelite case question?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I have a question about the bakelite cases that some Gillette Tech's were sold in. Some were kind of a larger, boxy looking affair which I believe is from pre-war vintage that looks like this

2LargeBakeliteCase.jpg

Then, there are some smallish looking cases which hold razors dissassembled that look like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Can anyone tell me what era/continent the latter, smaller case is from and what specific razor models were sold in it? The picture shows a fat handle Gold Tech with the post-war rectangular slots in base plate. Does the depicted razor appear to match what was actually sold in that case? Were nickel plated Tech's also sold in that case type or was it just for the gold fat handle models. Or, maybe there were a variety of different models sold in the smaller case?? Like including skinny handles.

This information may already be posted elsewhere, but my google-fu skills weren't good enough this morning to find it in a reasonable amount of time. If so, just point me in the right direction, please.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

Goatrope

Thanks Todd. I believe the case is black, which would mean that the appropriate matching razors should actually be military issued bakelite handle Techs, according to the mr-razor. NOT the gold Tech depicted in photo.

Were any other Tech variations (fat/skinny, gold/nickel) ever sold in bakelite cases?

Last edited:

Goatrope

Also, were any of these kits issued during Korean war, or just WWII?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have two of those bakelite cases in the first photo... both of them have British Flat Bottom Techs in them and are also shown on Mr Razor's page. I don't know about the smaller case. There are also two bakelite blade holders/banks, one on either side of the razor.

Unboxing4R.jpg

Edit: I realize the photo on the right is not a BFBT... it's a two piece British Raised Flat Bottom.... I traded it for a three piece British Raised Flat Bottom with Christ Spencer @ Back Roads Gold. He has since replated it and it's posted on Etsy.

Thanks Todd. I believe the case is black, which would mean that the appropriate matching razors should actually be military issued bakelite handle Techs, according to the mr-razor. NOT the gold Tech depicted in photo.

Were any other Tech variations (fat/skinny, gold/nickel) ever sold in bakelite cases?
i saw this nos brit fb set some time back on the bay uk but ..
bri 1948.jpg

Top Bottom