What's new

Gillette Tech fair price question

Since I’ve settled on Techs as my favorite DE razors I find myself on Etsy and eBay looking for a German #34 and a Tech/New hybrid. My question for you Tech gurus out there is if I do find one, what is a fair asking price? I’m not trying to cheap out on anyone, but I don’t want to get taken advantage of either. Thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter
Last hybrid here sold for $525.

You’re not going to be able to negotiate with anyone selling one that knows what they have. They are that rare. The German may be a good example of being under the radar though so a deal may be had. If the cap is aluminum (not sure) it may be at very high risk of breaking too. Its not much more than a collectors piece to look at if it’s in one piece.

Last user that posted purchasing a hybrid paid about $150 for one without case, a damaged but fixable handle, and while restorable it had worn plating.

Another hybrid with user grad plating went buy now for $115 in November and the seller did not mention tech or hybrid (indicating lack of knowledge) and it came with a good england aristocrat case. Obscenely rare occurrence.

A great condition hybrid was listed here for $525 and had a slightly worn case (however normal for no special treatment for the age). He didn’t seem to have any issues selling.

Remember one man’s fair price may be too much for another.
You are looking for very specific models. Have you found one? Keep looking. You might find one. Depending on how much the seller knows effects the price.
If it is in good mechanical shape you can have it replated.. Probably better than new.
Good luck and happy hunting!

It is simple, you pay what you negotiate. I would have paid 500 for the link in the thread. My brother wouldn’t pay 40. It’s worth a lot more to me.

I would never have paid 2000 or whatever was asked on eBay, ridiculous.

I have a prewar Tech, a postwar, and an English flat bottom with a thin handle from the 40s. I‘m after a great worry-free shave and not at all interested in collecting, so I will probably give these a pass.

Now if there’s a more commonly available Tech or a modern equivalent that gives a better shave, then I might give that a go.

If you have time and patience - review all listings for vintage razors on the UK Ebay. Lots of British razors get mislabeled on there and you just need a keen eye and quick trigger.

unfortunately for me I’m not knowledgeable enough to know what I’m looking at.

Last hybrid here sold for $525.
Yep, that was me...
A great condition hybrid was listed here for $525 and had a slightly worn case (however normal for no special treatment for the age). He didn’t seem to have any issues selling.
It was scooped up almost immediately. International shipping and insurance to boot.
I would never have paid 2000 or whatever was asked on eBay, ridiculous.
Seller offered $1,000. Negotiated to $500, tax and shipping was my $525 asking.

I have a few. I like the travel sets :)
20221215_011335.jpg

unfortunately for me I’m not knowledgeable enough to know what I’m looking at.
Ebay UK and ebay France. Lots of travel around the Continent from the '20s through the post-War years. All kinds of things left, lost, hidden & the finders not entirely sure of what they have.

Ebay UK and ebay France. Lots of travel around the Continent from the '20s through the post-War years. All kinds of things left, lost, hidden & the finders not entirely sure of what they have.
Yup, even in the US. Although it’s rare those make it across the pond without some sort of encouragement.

Top Bottom