What's new

Gillette Tech era

The first series were made between 1939 and 1945. Most people call them "Pre-War Tech". I don't agree with the timing, as World War II started a year after the patent application was filed and a few months after the technology was put into production. Actually means "before America went to war"... but that term is incorrect in my opinion, since World War II actually started in 1939. Private opinion. I came across this idea on one of the forums and agreed with it. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I was just interested in how to properly attribute them according to the era.

Brother Windigo,

IMO and respectfully, I believe your reasoning is well-intended but wrong.

The prewar Tech was an American razor. It came out circa 1939 before America's involvement with WW2, which commenced on December 7, 1941. Therefore, from America's perspective it was a prewar razor, invented and manufactured by Americans--a prewar Tech.

Yes, WW2 started in 1938 or so, but there was a tremendous groundswell of opinion that America should not go to war. All that changed immediately at Pearl Harbor.

I am from Europe, and for us the Second World War began on September 1, 1939, and I often buy a French, British, Soviet or German-made razor. Since these are native things in Europe. Although US razors sometimes on sale in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may or may not be factually accurate, depending on perspective, but it IS the terminology used among an overwhelming majority of hobbyists to define the era from which the razors originated.

You need not agree, but that is the reality.

As I said earlier, a more accurate description is "War Era Tech" as that was the actual time period these were made.

Top Bottom