What's new

Gillette Super Speed

I've been browsing a small cache of 50's era Gillette Super Speeds, what do you guys think of this particular era? Is there much of a difference between say a 52 and 56?

Thanks,

Kyle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You can get these pretty cheap these days. There are a few versions, with different colored knobs. Pretty decent razors, but the earlier (late 40's) seem to command more. They are my very favorite.

I think the 50's Superspeeds are underrated and get overlooked as people pay crazy prices for 40's models. The '58 TV Special is a good model, also the red knob SS is good if you want a slightly more aggressive razor. The plain tips are pretty good too, just make sure it is a 50's model and not a 60's. You can usually tell by the head (the 60's will have a flatter profile head) and the 50's will have a horizontal line on the TTO knob. The blue tips are good for sensitive skin and are very gentle razors.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I agree with rustycoathanger (sorry- couldn't resist). Some of the 40's models are commanding outlandish prices, while their 50's counterparts languish unsold. A 50's super speed with a flared tip can be had for as little as 5 semolians on ebay, and they shave great. They may be the best overall value in a vintage razor.

ouch said:
I agree with rustycoathanger (sorry- couldn't resist). Some of the 40's models are commanding outlandish prices, while their 50's counterparts languish unsold. A 50's super speed with a flared tip can be had for as little as 5 semolians on ebay, and they shave great. They may be the best overall value in a vintage razor.
Hey, hey... You from Joisey.. Start a blog and and change your name to Courney Goldberg and hype the 50's SS. Watch the prices go!:lol:

Top Bottom