What's new

Gillette Super Silver

Today I picked up some new Russian made Gillette Super Silver blades.

proxy.php

I've used a couple different versions of this blade.

The vintage English made Super Silver blades are fantastic. The ones I had came in the dispenser shown below.
Don't have a blade pic as I tossed out my last one this morning. The blades were date coded X3.

proxy.php

I also own some of the older orange package, shown below. It's been so long since I've used them that I don't
remember how they shaved.

proxy.php

One of the new blades is loaded up and ready for tomorrow. I'll report back once I've had a shave.

Last edited:
I bought some of these last night from Royal Shave. I'm looking forward to testing them as soon as they arrive, as well as comparing them to other top tier blades from Gillette

I'm interested in hearing your impressions, guys. I have a nice stash of the vintage Brits, and agree that those are very, very nice. The script "platinum hardened edges" was formerly used on the Swedes, wasn't it?

Do they say "made in Petersburg products intl, Pulkovskoye Shosse 54 St. Petersburg"? I bought a hundred of them awhile back. Looking forward to hearing your impression of them.

Never mind. Mine are only SS.

Last edited:
The text on the back of the Russian Super Silvers reads.

Procter & Gamble UK, Weybridge,
Surrey, KT13 0XP, UK

Made by ZAO Petersburg Products Int,
Pulkovskoye Shosse 54
St. Petersburg, 196140 Russia

Gillette Super Silvers first appeared in the mid-60s? The NOS blades from back then are pretty nice, pretty sharp, better than most that are made today. I have not heard good things about the orange-box Gillette Super Silvers, only negative comments. The blue-box platinum harden edges are--I assume--of a superior quality. Super Silvers are common in Europe right now. I might have someone pick me up a few boxes of the blue-box variety this fall.

My first shave with the Russian Super Silver blades was great. I had one blade loaded in a British Gillette HD and another in a British Long Comb New. In both razors the blades sliced through three days growth with ease. I felt no tugging or pulling in either razor. So far so good, I'll be using the blades the rest of the week.

So how do you like these? I was intrigued enough to pick up a couple packs. They'll be up in the very near future. While at it I also ordered a couple packs of Kai blades which some here think are as sharp or sharper than Feathers, and a pack of Rotbart Extra Dunn just because they sounded interesting. I thought I was done exploring blades, after trying about 50 or so, but blades are so cheap I just keep trying more when I see some that sound like I might like them.

I've been using the blades since last week and I find them to be very nice blades. They have a very nice combination of sharpness and smoothness. So far I've tried them in my Rocket HD, Brit Long Comb New, and EJ DE89. Of the three razors I felt that the Rocket worked best for my face followed by the New. The blade didn't feel great when used in the EJ, but lately the EJ hasn't been agreeing with my face.

I also picked up some of the Rotbart blade and I plan on using them next week. For me, the Super Silvers are a definite keeper. Now if I could only buy they by the 100.

I've been using the Super Silvers since last Saturday and I find them to be very nice blades. They have a very nice combination of sharpness and smoothness. So far I've tried them in my Rocket HD, Brit Long Comb New, and EJ DE89. Of the three razors I felt that the Rocket worked best for my face. The Brit New came in a close second. The blade didn't feel great when used in the EJ, but lately the EJ hasn't been agreeing with my face.

I also picked up some of the Rotbart blades and I plan on using them next week. For me, the Super Silvers are a definite keeper. Now if I could only buy they by the 100.

Today I picked up some new Russian made Gillette Super Silver blades.

proxy.php

I've used a couple different versions of this blade.
Some guys say, that P&G discontinued these blades in cardboard dispensers a few months ago.
The blades were sold in Germany, but no store has them anymore.

Last edited:
Some guys say, that P&G discontinued these blades in cardboard dispensers a few months ago.

I bought mine from Royal Shave back in July. They appear to be out of stock at the moment.

I hope they are not gone for good as they are very fantastic blades.

Indeed. These my dad used these blades for ages. They are really good, but since (let's say) a year or so you can't seem
to get them anywhere anymore. :thumbdown

Edit: He found "Gillette Platinum" on a holiday trip in Italy. It's exactly the same packaging but with "Platinum" in place of
the "Super Silver" lettering and he says they are also very good. Does anyone know if that are the same?

Last edited:
I never shaved with a Gillette Platinum blade. But these blades are also sold in spain. The prize for a pack of 5 blades in stores there is around 5 Euros, that means 1 Euro for one blade!!!

For that prize I'm sure the blades stay in the stores and these will be the next blades that they will discontinue, because who wants to pay so much for a double edge blade?

Edit: He found "Gillette Platinum" on a holiday trip in Italy. It's exactly the same packaging but with "Platinum" in place of
the "Super Silver" lettering and he says they are also very good. Does anyone know if that are the same?

No, they are a completely different blade.

I never shaved with a Gillette Platinum blade. But these blades are also sold in spain. The prize for a pack of 5 blades in stores there is around 5 Euros, that means 1 Euro for one blade!!!

For that prize I'm sure the blades stay in the stores and these will be the next blades that they will discontinue, because who wants to pay so much for a double edge blade?

You are describing the 'White Platinums', aka 'Cardboard Swedes'. I describe these as the spiritual successor to the Swedes.

There's plenty of info on here about them, but you can get my oft-quoted post in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/293969-Gillette-Platinum-(Swedes-)

Great blades, longevity is okay. Pricing is stupid expensive. I grabbed ~650 Spoilers from eBay at a rate half that of the White Platinums. The Spoilers are a better blade.

No, they are a completely different blade.

You are describing the 'White Platinums', aka 'Cardboard Swedes'. I describe these as the spiritual successor to the Swedes.

There's plenty of info on here about them, but you can get my oft-quoted post in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/293969-Gillette-Platinum-(Swedes-)

Great blades, longevity is okay. Pricing is stupid expensive. I grabbed ~650 Spoilers from eBay at a rate half that of the White Platinums. The Spoilers are a better blade.

Yep. Due to all the good things Joel had to say about the "White Platinums" I bought a couple packs when I was in Italy last year. They were probably the best blades I've ever used. Even though they were very expensive I plan to buy a few more packs when I go back next year.

Recently I have tried Gillette Silver Blues and all the varieties of Gillette 7 O'Clock blades as well as 70's vintage Schick Krona blades and Gillette Spoilers. I like the vintage blades very much , Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum and Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless. The vintage blades seem to be equal to modern blades but seem to have better longevity. In looking thru my blade inventory I found one Gillette Super Silver blade which I tried today with a two day growth in a Gillette NEW. Exceptional blade, smooth and sharp. Has anyone been able to identify a source for these blades? I would like to know if these blades are available in bulk before I make a few years commitment in purchasing 200-300 blades.

Sadly, it looks they may be gone for good. The one place that I knew of is sold out and they won't be getting more.

Their distributor said that Gillette Super Silvers are no longer available. They were wonderful blades.

Top Bottom