What's new

Gillette Super Silver

According to one Russian vendor, the modern Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus is the same blade as the older Super Silver Platinum. The former is THE best modern blade I have ever used, bar none.

You were misinformed. Gillette Rubie® and Gillette Super Silver Platinum® are not identical razor blades. Two separate sputtering agents are employed in their manufacture, as well as a different final hone.

You were misinformed. Gillette Rubie® and Gillette Super Silver Platinum® are not identical razor blades. Two separate sputtering agents are employed in their manufacture, as well as a different final hone.

You again, you rascal!! :laugh: Mischka, you seem to be 'in the know' about Gillette Russia and keep teasing us with these juicy tidbits from time to time. Come clean and give us a list of which is which so as to set the record straight and as well which in your opinion is the best.

Edit: I have read your former posts and believe you are not a Gillette employee, but rather someone whose work may entail relations with them and you perhaps know someone at Gillette who does indeed know all the answers and that he tosses you a 'bone' of info now & then when you inquire. How close am I?

Last edited:
You again, you rascal!! :laugh: Mischka, you seem to be 'in the know' about Gillette Russia and keep teasing us with these juicy tidbits from time to time. Come clean and give us a list of which is which so as to set the record straight and as well which in your opinion is the best.
:popc: :001_smile

And of course, because we don't know if he's an employee or only in touch with one, we don't know how reliable this information is. Remember that with both Dorco and Personna, we've had information posted over the years with seemingly contradictory information from the company themselves or their representatives. But it is certainly the case that he disputes only some claims while remaining silent about others.

... But it is certainly the case that he disputes only some claims while remaining silent about others.

And therein lies the proverbial rub. The average fella wouldn't be talking about sputtering agents IMO. Regardless, I am not so much interested in the minutiae as just simply which blades are the same and merely marketed under different names. I hardly see that as a terminal offense for which one could lose their job. It's not like were asking for the Coca-Cola formula or the secret spices in KFC chicken. :laugh:

As well, I am sure their competitors know exactly what they do as they merely have their R&D dept. look at a blade. No huge secret there, just what is covered by a patent & what is not.

cc

Attachments

• $WP_20160225_23_04_29_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20160225_23_04_29_Pro.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 253
Your Super Silver are fantastic blades. Much smoother than current blades, in my experience. Enjoy the shave.

Excellent blade. I tried it with my EJ 3D and Nanny's Silly soap. I had one day of beard growth (shaved with GSB previously). I did one pass and a bit of touch-ups. My beard is strong and medium thick. I usually do two passes. It's a very smooth blade, quite sharp. Could be an ideal everyday blade. It's just a tad less sharp than GSB or Polsilver SI, but much smoother than either of those blades. It's a pity they don't make blades like these anymore.

Glad to hear you like these. Other nice NOS Gillette blades to try include Platinum Plus (USA or France), Platinum (UK), Bleue Extra (not the ones in cardboard, the ones in plastic dispensers, France). You may also want to try the Schick Plus Platinum, which I don't find quite as smooth, but still nice.

If you want a modern blade, White or Dark Blue box Gillette Platinum from Russia are about the closest to NOS that I've found, but they do not last as long. Cheers

Thanks yomuppet! I used dark blue Platinums and liked them a lot. I also liked the red pack Stainless in combination with Stirling soaps.

This morning I finished a pack of these:
proxy.php

Same year, same date code. I have read negative comments about "Super Silver with orange cardboard" but are these comments pointed toward the "EMB Annecy Super Silver (Pre-P&G era)" or the "ZAO Petersburg Super Silver from Russia (P&G)"? I have not shaved with the Russian Super Silver but I can say that the EMB Annecy are great blades, they are sharp and smooth. I have a coarse beard, if they were dull I would know :D

I'm using my next to last blade of British Gillette Super Silver Stainless ,1966 L-3 this month.....On shave #7 , smooth and extremely sharp ,I'm hoping to get 10 nice shaves from it.

I've never tried a Gillette blade, I look forward to giving them a try in the near future. Not sure where to start after this thread though...

I'm using my next to last blade of British Gillette Super Silver Stainless ,1966 L-3 this month.....On shave #7 , smooth and extremely sharp ,I'm hoping to get 10 nice shaves from it.

There are also French made super silver platinum plus blades from that time period, if you keep your eye out

Found this super silver in my dad's shaving box. The only left example he had. Says Wilkinson on the blade. I am hoping the blade still has a good edge.

AK

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_103220.jpg
    IMG_20170514_103220.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170514_103139.jpg
    IMG_20170514_103139.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 25
Top Bottom