What's new

Gillette Super Adjustable - The Black Beauty

A few random comments: Both the long handle BB and short handle weight the same (69 g) Almost the same as a Slim (70 g). The balance point measured from the base of the head is the same for all three, however the Slim knurled adjuster is positioned slightly higher on the handle which may give the perception of a lower grip and a better balanced razor. As has been mentioned the BB with the nylon adjuster plate (not base plate) is significantly lighter (58G) I find this to be the best balanced of all versions. (Also the nylon version loooks beeter in real life compared to photos) When set to the same blade gap (which might actually be a different numerical setting), I find the shaves virtually identical for all BB's and the Slim.

For those who have commented on reduced blade life and/or reduced comfort compared to a Fat Boy this may be due to the shaving angle. Due to the less rounded head , if the same handle angle is habitually maintained as used with a Fat Boy, a slim or BB will provide a steeper blade angle compared to a Fat Boy. Steeper angle = more blade friction, hence less smooth shave and decreased blade life. Lifting the handle might improve the shave. As I don't own a Fat Boy this is speculation that while correct in theory may prove wrong in practice.

I always thought the Long Handle was known as the 109, the Short Handle as 84, and the model with the black plastic bottom plate was the one called the Black Beauty. No?

BTW, I checked the date code and found it to be X2, i. e. the razor must be from 1977, the year when Gillette replaced the nickel-plated metal base plates with black plastic base plates. It's kind of impressive to hold a razor that is still in a very good condition and that was probably used for the first time two or three years before I even had my very first shave.
Made me stop & think - I just got a 1930 'Windsor' Long Comb New Type that was made back when my Dad was only 3 years old.

And my brand new looking 1947 Super Speed is 5 years older than me.

At least yours is too aggressive, mine is mild to the point of completely ineffective, even on 7. The handle was loose when I got it, I think it's out of wack some way, will have to investigate on how to take it apart and assemble correctly. I also think both sides of the safety bar are bent up on one end, too!

I will move my fresh 7 O'Clock Black to my Slim for tomorrow's shave -- it felt great while I was shaving but I was feeling stubble by 10 am.....
May need a new one....these are usually OK shavers....problem is aluminium handle so you cannot fix them. But they are cheap, can buy another

The SAs were one of the couple Gillette DEs that were in production when I was born (along with the black handled SS). So, of course I had to buy one from my birth quarter/year. It turned out to be probably the smoothest shaver of all the other razors, modern or vintage, that I own. For me, it’s hard to beat my Super 84 on setting 5.

I like the head heavy balance of the 109. The BB is definitely more aggressive than the Slim or Fat Boy: I shave on 7 on the BB but 8 or 9 on the others.

1972 Gillette Adjustable - Super 109 - The...Black...Beauty

TL;DR -
committed to razor for a week, excellent shaves, weight biased toward the head, love the long handle

View attachment 843331

History - Gillette introduced adjustable razors in 1955 and produced them through 1988. The Super 109 (along with the Super 84 - same razor with a shorter handle) in 1968 with a $1.95 price tag...$1.95!! Since I was only 2 years old at the time, I missed out on this amazing razor!!

Personal Preference - I found that setting 5 gave me the best overall shaving experience. And I prefer longer handled razors and I've gravitated toward the Black and Silver look. I did win a Gillette Travel Tech during The Auction, and it will take some time to get used to an itty, bitty, teeny, tiny handle.

Heretical Observation - for my first shave, I tried different setting, but for the rest, I stayed on 5 and didn't reset it for subsequent passes.

View attachment 843330

Review - Once I settled on setting 5, this razor produced very comfortable DFS shaves. (I can't get a BBS shave since the skin on my neck close to my Adam's apple is sensitive and will only abide 3 passes). It did take a little getting used to the heft of the head, feels about 2:1 bias toward the head. My go-to razor, Merkur 20C, is balanced, as far as I can tell. Had no problem getting in close in my mustache area and the hairs in my nostrils. I really like long handled razors so this razor has a permanent place in my stable of razors.

Blade Usage Anomaly - Maybe it's my lack of experience with The Black Beauty, but I went through 2 blades (an Astra SP and a SuperMax Tiger SP) during the week.

My Only Gripe - I wish the knurling was a tad more aggressive. This razor feels great in the hand, but I like just a bit deeper, sharper pattern.

Acknowledgement #1- HUGE THANK YOU to @matwho for this amazing razor! It was included as part of one of his lots that I won during the Saint Sue Moore Memorial NBCF Auction. This 45 year old razor arrived in excellent shape!! 45 year old razor, very impressed!!

Acknowledgement #2 - HUGE THANK YOU to B&B Community for the incredible and informative discussions that take place. In another thread that discussed The Black Beauty, someone (and I apologize for not remembering who) made mention of the final 1/4 twist to lock in the blade. Had I not read that, I wouldn't have known to do it.
Firstly I will say that I have a similar razor, a Gillette Super Adjustable 84 mm from 1971, (my birth year), I just finished a shave with that tonight on setting 7, a little rough perhaps? I usually prefer setting 6 on that razor. Secondly, I have got the impression that the only Gillette Super Adjustables that also have the nickname ” Black Beauty” is the razors from 1977 and onwards with the black plastic base plate? Am I right?

Firstly I will say that I have a similar razor, a Gillette Super Adjustable 84 mm from 1971, (my birth year), I just finished a shave with that tonight on setting 7, a little rough perhaps? I usually prefer setting 6 on that razor. Secondly, I have got the impression that the only Gillette Super Adjustables that also have the nickname ” Black Beauty” is the razors from 1977 and onwards with the black plastic base plate? Am I right?
Great question. My assumption was that the entire line of black handled super adjustable razors (both short and long) were called Black Beauties. After poking around, I couldn't find any definitive conclusion. Mr. Razor had a 1970 one that he called a Black Beauty, but Glenn Conti simply says that the last version of the Black Beauty was I-2 with the black plastic base. Both of these are great resources for Gillette razors.

And just a couple of nuggets that I found - there were some that were gold tone instead of silver, and some had violet (dark maroon) handles instead of black.

The Super Adjustable, in any iteration, is a very good razor.

Great question. My assumption was that the entire line of black handled super adjustable razors (both short and long) were called Black Beauties. After poking around, I couldn't find any definitive conclusion. Mr. Razor had a 1970 one that he called a Black Beauty, but Glenn Conti simply says that the last version of the Black Beauty was I-2 with the black plastic base. Both of these are great resources for Gillette razors.

And just a couple of nuggets that I found - there were some that were gold tone instead of silver, and some had violet (dark maroon) handles instead of black.

The Super Adjustable, in any iteration, is a very good razor.
I agree totally, the Super Adjustable is a very good razor. Used the short handle version back in the 70's, got razor RAD later on, but now I'm back to my Black Beauties, 5 in total. I do lean however, towards the short handle version, which is similar to my very favorite Slims.

Top Bottom