What's new

Gillette Super Adjustable 109 ca. 1975

Hello All,
It has been over three months now and I have succumbed to the razor acquisition bug and am looking to pick up an adjustable razor. My Western High Noon works fine, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to. Therefore, when I started thinking about and researching adjustable razors, I hit upon an interesting idea. What if my father purchased me a safety razor in 1975 instead of a TRAC II? What would he have purchased?

From my limited research, it appears that the razor of choice would've been a Super Adjustable 109. While I have read some reviews and videos, my question is, how to these razors compare to a Fat Boy or Slim adjustable?

Physically, the Fat Boy has the shortest handle of the three, and the diameter is fatter.

With the doors closed on the Fat Boy they’re more domed than the Slim or 109. I’ve found it’s a bit more work to do a good job under my nose with the Fat Boy compared to the other two. I believe the Slim and 109 are both the same. (flatter)

The heads of both the Slim and 109 are the same. The handles are obviously different, length of the handles, overall weight.

If you are going based off the year 1975, yes the Super Adjustable 109 would of been the razor or the Super Adjustable 84. The number is length of the handle for both of them. Both were around the same year. Both of them have a full brass head and tray, after that the Black Beauty, 1977-1988 has the plastic tray hence the name "Black Beauty". The handles for the Super Adjustables are Andoizied Aluminum with brass heads, nickel finish while the Slims and Fatboys were full brass with a nickel finish. I hope this helps a bit.

Because of the TRAC II a Gillette Super Adjustable from 1975 is harder to find. There are some out there in the bay but at potentially steep prices. V1 is most common. V3 for some reason the most rare.

Shaves great in my opinion. I have mine lined up for tomorrow.

Cheers,

Guido

Totally agree @Guido75 they shave great and you are spot on! To find my Black Beauty, with 1982 was not easy, I did but that was something I wanted.

If you really want to get nerdy and see, the blade gaps slightly differ, the Super Adjustables (which includes the Black Beauty as they are all in the same class) have the biggest blade gaps while the Fatboy is the lowest, Slim is next.

Imho, they are all great razors, I have all three, as you can see in my signature. I enjoy them all but they all shave differently, just a matter of preference. Last night I shaved with my Black Beauty, 1st time, and the longer handle was a slight adjustment for me as I have been getting use to shorter handles, did not take long to adjust but just one of those small things to keep an eye out on.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking on the Bay, and prices are quite steep with and a certain amount of risk. I'll keep looking and stick my toe in at some point.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking on the Bay, and prices are quite steep with and a certain amount of risk. I'll keep looking and stick my toe in at some point.

If you have not already, you can try etsy as well. Sometimes you will find stuff for a decent price on there or just find what your looking for.

Totally agree @Guido75 they shave great and you are spot on! To find my Black Beauty, with 1982 was not easy, I did but that was something I wanted.

If you really want to get nerdy and see, the blade gaps slightly differ, the Super Adjustables (which includes the Black Beauty as they are all in the same class) have the biggest blade gaps while the Fatboy is the lowest, Slim is next.

Imho, they are all great razors, I have all three, as you can see in my signature. I enjoy them all but they all shave differently, just a matter of preference. Last night I shaved with my Black Beauty, 1st time, and the longer handle was a slight adjustment for me as I have been getting use to shorter handles, did not take long to adjust but just one of those small things to keep an eye out on.

I hunted for a 1st quarter '82 Black Beauty (C1) for many many months, but finally got it. Definitely wasn't easy, congrats on finding yours!

The Superadjustable shaves best of the three. A “9” on a Fatboy or Slim equates to a “7” on the Superadjustable. Two higher levels of aggressiveness. Also, IMHO, the head-heavy balance of the Superadjustable is more controllable and puts the weight where it does the most good.

I just bagged a 1978 109 Super Adjustable here in the UK. I would have liked a birth year razor but couldn't find any in the UK.

My previous attempt at getting a '74 Super Adjustable cost me a small fortune for one from Bulgaria that turned out to be a total dud. The previous owner had unscrewed it completely and it didn't go back together correctly. Instead of being mild mannered as I expected it was a total Potato Peeler and tore my face up.

Hopefully this new one (new to me) is in better condition.

Well, I got one! A pristine V1 for less than $50 on the 'Bay. Timing was just right I guess. First shave was at 5 and it seemed a little agressive. Went to 4 this morning and that seemed fine. I may go back to 5 once i get used to it. In any case, I really like it. I've heard that there may be issues with it because of the aluminum handle. I will always open it to rinse and keep it on a vertical stand. Any other cleaning tips/tricks will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 109 - 1.jpg
    109 - 1.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 33
Well, I got one! A pristine V1 for less than $50 on the 'Bay. Timing was just right I guess. First shave was at 5 and it seemed a little agressive. Went to 4 this morning and that seemed fine. I may go back to 5 once i get used to it. In any case, I really like it. I've heard that there may be issues with it because of the aluminum handle. I will always open it to rinse and keep it on a vertical stand. Any other cleaning tips/tricks will be appreciated.
That is a great find you got there! As far as cleaning goes, I clean my out with warm water, dawn soap and toothbrush after I shave (mind you I shave at night and have time to do so), wipe with microfiber cloth and let it stand vertically and dry.

After its thoroughly dried for a day or so I put it back in its drawer, as I don't keep my razors out, they go back in their drawers but that is your choice. You definitely can leave it to vertically dry for as long as you want, it won't hurt it but congrats on the find, it looks to be in really good shape.

That is a great find you got there! As far as cleaning goes, I clean my out with warm water, dawn soap and toothbrush after I shave (mind you I shave at night and have time to do so), wipe with microfiber cloth and let it stand vertically and dry.

After its thoroughly dried for a day or so I put it back in its drawer, as I don't keep my razors out, they go back in their drawers but that is your choice. You definitely can leave it to vertically dry for as long as you want, it won't hurt it but congrats on the find, it looks to be in really good shape.
Been using my R3 109 SA quite often, even more often than the Ikons, Supplys, the Razorocks, etc. Mine ran me $10 recently, at an antique shop, and after a thorough cleaning and disinfecting, it looked almost brand new again. I clean similarly to what others are doing but I do one step further. After cleaning, shaking out as much moisture as I can, since there can be corrosion problems, I use a couple of blasts of air out of my Duster cans, used for computers normally, and point it closely towards the small drain hole in the bottom of the razor, while pointing the head of the razor downward. Not much comes out but maybe enough to prevent corrosion. Store vertically, and occasionally put a couple of drops of mineral oil down the opening in the baseplate. Seems to keep everything running smooth, and the quarter turn TTO lock works perfectly.

We've confirmed a couple of current production razors that use the same adjustment mechanism as the Super Adjustable including the popularly priced Razorock/Adjust (rebranded Baili) for $15 at Italian Barber (also sold by Stirling) and the Rockwell T2 for $100-150. Details on the thread below.

We've confirmed a couple of current production razors that use the same adjustment mechanism as the Super Adjustable including the popularly priced Razorock/Adjust (rebranded Baili) for $15 at Italian Barber (also sold by Stirling) and the Rockwell T2 for $100-150. Details on the thread below.

One should hope that the new mechanisms will stand the test of time as well as the Gillettes certainly seem to do.

Top Bottom