What's new

Gillette Sunup aftershave

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, I'm down to my last 4 oz bottle of vintage Sunup aftershave. It's getting harder and harder to find.
I ordered the Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic from WCS, which is supposed to be a very close match.
Has anyone here done a comparison and could comment on how close it actually is?
Are there any other clones out there besides the copy sold by PAA which I absolutely refuse to buy?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My all time favorite. Used up the last of my supply about 10 years ago.

It is one of my absolute favorite aftershaves. I own 200 vintage and modern aftershaves. Not one of them is an Artisan aftershave.

The only Artisan aftershave I have ever owned was a bottle of Captains Choice Bay Rum I purchased and used up quite a few years ago.

I also had a couple of travel bottles of vintage Gillette Sun Up I picked up at an antique store and went thru pretty quickly. Wonderful stuff. It’s how aftershave is supposed to feel and smell.

I don’t get a better nostalgic feeling or retro glow, then after splashing on Sun Up after a shave.

I would be very interested and appreciative in reading a review and what you think of B&M’s copy when you receive it @luvmysuper.

If you think it compares to the original, B&M may just be the very first Artisan aftershave company to get regular and repeat purchases from me.

:)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It is one of my absolute favorite aftershaves. I own 200 vintage and modern aftershaves. Not one of them is an Artisan aftershave.

The only Artisan aftershave I have ever owned was a bottle of Captains Choice Bay Rum I purchased and used up quite a few years ago.

I also had a couple of travel bottles of vintage Gillette Sun Up I picked up at an antique store and went thru pretty quickly. Wonderful stuff. It’s how aftershave is supposed to feel and smell.

I don’t get a better nostalgic feeling or retro glow, then after splashing on Sun Up after a shave.

I would be very interested and appreciative in reading a review and what you think of B&M’s copy when you receive it @luvmysuper.

If you think it compares to the original, B&M may just be the very first Artisan aftershave company to get regular and repeat purchases from me.

:)

Will do!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@OkieStubble

I received the Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic and did a side by side bottle smell with my last bottle of Sun Up, then placed a tiny amount from one on one wrist and a tiny amount of the other on the other wrist.

I checked immediately, and about every 5 minutes or so for 30 minutes.

My initial impression is that these two are incredibly close. I do imagine that I detect the slightest bit of difference between the two, but I can't place my finger on what it is, and the difference is so incredibly slight that I may just be imagining it because I know that they are different products.

If I were blind tested, I would be hard pressed to tell you which was which.

If anything, it seems the Barrister and Mann maintains a bit of the initial application scent longer than the original, which dries down more quickly to its powdery component. The Barrister and Mann stays a little more "spicey" for lack of a better term than the Sun Up does.

The Barrister and Mann has a greater sillage than the Sun Up and you can smell it quite clearly from several inches away after 30 minutes whereas I had to get right up on the wrist with the Sun Up to get the same exposure.
A more discerning nose than mine may be able to pinpoint differences, but I am sufficiently nose blind that I consider the Barrister and Mann to be a very good clone.

As you are aware, the Sun Up is a bright, clear slightly bluish tinted green color, however, the Barrister and Mann, after shaking is a very cloudy opaque white, so there is no mistaking the two visually.

In short, I am impressed with the Barrister and Mann, and I believe I will be bringing this in to my stable.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I
@OkieStubble

I received the Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic and did a side by side bottle smell with my last bottle of Sun Up, then placed a tiny amount from one on one wrist and a tiny amount of the other on the other wrist.

My initial impression is that these two are incredibly close. I do imagine that I detect the slightest bit of difference between the two, but I can't place my finger on what it is, and the difference is so incredibly slight that I may just be imagining it because I know that they are different products.

If anything, it seems the Barrister and Mann maintains a bit of the initial application scent longer than the original, which dries down more quickly to its powdery component. The Barrister and Mann stays a little more "spicey" for lack of a better term than the Sun Up does.

The Barrister and Mann has a greater sillage than the Sun Up and you can smell it quite clearly from several inches away after 30 minutes whereas I had to get right up on the wrist with the Sun Up to get the same exposure.
A more discerning nose than mine may be able to pinpoint differences, but I am sufficiently nose blind that I consider the Barrister and Mann to be a very good clone.

As you are aware, the Sun Up is a bright, clear slightly bluish tinted green color, however, the Barrister and Mann, after shaking is a very cloudy opaque white, so there is no mistaking the two visually.

In short, I am impressed with the Barrister and Mann, and I believe I will be bringing this in to my stable.
Excellent review thanks. At $20 it’s not a bad price at all. B&M makes some quality juice too.

Received mine with the evening post. Definitely Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic is quite close to Gillette Sun Up. Quite strong, cologne strength. They could tone the scent concentration down for my enjoyment, but quite nice nonetheless.

Thank you @luvmysuper for the excellent recommendation!

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble

Thanks Phil for the excellent review. While I always thought Sun Up could have a bit more projection, I always just considered it, more 'laid back' and refreshing, then actually weak or fleeting. Sounds like B&M raised the bar in this area. I just hope it isn't too loud or brash or overpowering in sillage.

What makes Sun Up's persona so special, is/was it's light and easy going character within it's scent profile. You could almost smell the nostalgic, retro vibe it gave off. Your review has convinced me to give it a try. If B&M has accomplished capturing all of that in their copy; and feels really good to boot? It will definitely be worth the Artisan price tag. :)

Another homage to Sun Up, is PAA's Sun Down. I have never tried Sun Up, but to my nose, PAA Sun Down is stronger in scent and longevity to B&M Classic. But as always, each nose and skin different, so your mileage may vary. PAA does sell samples for cheap if you wanted to give it a try.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I bought vintage Sun Up aftershave and cologne every time I saw it for years. I don't see it often anymore and the price is jacked nowadays. It's a tough one to buy sight unseen, as it seems to skunk easily. Be careful. Also I'd bet some of the bottles on eBay are 1/4 water.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
image.jpeg

OkieStubble

Another homage to Sun Up, is PAA's Sun Down. I have never tried Sun Up, but to my nose, PAA Sun Down is stronger in scent and longevity to B&M Classic. But as always, each nose and skin different, so your mileage may vary. PAA does sell samples for cheap if you wanted to give it a try.

I guess I will go ahead and get a sample and compare it with B&M and the Gillette original. Thanks for the heads up @kwickone!

I'm going to have to go into my laboratory one day; and mix up a cheaper Bootlegger's version of Sun Up. It wouldn't be a clone, but if I could get it close or similar to that same, retro, manly vibe?

That would be like winning the lotto for me. :)

I guess I will go ahead and get a sample and compare it with B&M and the Gillette original. Thanks for the heads up @kwickone!

I'm going to have to go into my laboratory one day; and mix up a cheaper Bootlegger's version of Sun Up. It wouldn't be a clone, but if I could get it close or similar to that same, retro, manly vibe?

That would be like winning the lotto for me. :)

Love it! Let us know how the mad scientist work goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@OkieStubble

Congratulations! Great outcome!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom