What's new

Gillette Sun Up Wow!

Inspired by the active Sun Up thread (Gillette Sunup aftershave - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-sunup-aftershave.611067/), I picked up a vintage bottle on the Bay and tried it out this morning. Here was the morning set up:
EDAD8319-5167-405C-8C7C-886C59A1B4E3.jpeg

I used my Wolfman WR2 1.25 loaded with a fresh Feather, a Speick shave stick, my Shavemac Beagle, and of course Gillette Sun Up. It was a very nice and close shave. The Sun Up provided the perfect finish.

I really love everything about this aftershave. The bottle is beautiful—with a Bakelite cap and a very cool rooster sticker. The fragrance is very smooth. It reminds me a little of Aqua Velva, but smoother. The B&M dupe lists the profile as “slightly powdery notes of citrus, lavender, moss, and sandalwood.” To my nose the lavender and sandalwood dominate—really a pleasant aroma.

I’m a huge fan of classic aftershaves (Clubman is my favorite). It’s a shame Gillette only produced Sun Up for a few years in the 60’s. I imagine I’ll seek out another vintage bottle or buy the B&M version when this runs out.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have been unable to find Sun Up in the UK despite looking for a while but I do have a similarly shaped Gillette AS bottle in a set called Spruce. I have not been able to find out much about this set but wonder if it is from the same time period. Does anyone know the dates for this, or any other information?

GS.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have been unable to find Sun Up in the UK despite looking for a while but I do have a similarly shaped Gillette AS bottle in a set called Spruce. I have not been able to find out much about this set but wonder if it is from the same time period. Does anyone know the dates for this, or any other information?

View attachment 1316082

The few examples of completed sales on eBay all say 1960's

Top Bottom