What's new

Gillette St. Petersburg - A Cornucopia of Blades

So, to clarify, these are all Gillette blades - as in, they were both designed and manufactured by Gillette, and sold under other brand names? Or are these blades that are private-label produced by Gillette for other companies, to the specifications of those other companies?

Better to say that Gillette designs and makes blades under different brand names. In many cases, they bought out brands made and sold in other countries. The extent to which they used the original formulations, created new ones, or simply relabeled their own products for different markets is totally opaque. In some cases, they produced the blades in other plants abroad then relocated production to St. Petersburg. What changes occurred when that happened are also unclear.

I have not found a Russian Gillette Blade that I did not like .I like some better than others.My favourites are Polisilver , Rubie ,Nacet , GSB ,

PPI does not manufacture private-label blades, nor store-branded. Nacet and Silver Blue are not manufactured to the same specifications. Three of the blades listed in the first post are presently out of production. Rotbart are made by PPI but also OOP. Tiger is no longer a Gillette brand and are produced at a former Gillette facility in Czech.

...Three of the blades listed in the first post are presently out of production...

The List:

-Gillette Silver Blue
-Polsilver SI
-PermaSharp Super
-Nacet
-Astra Stainless
-Astra SP
-Gillette Platinum
-Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
-Gillette Super Silver
-Gillette 7 OC Green
-Gillette 7 OC Yellow

ADDED:
-Gillette Minora
-Sputnik

I've highlighted the two I believe to be discod. The third, I don't know. :001_huh: I'd venture
Minora or Astra SS.

1. Gillette Nacet (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  2. Gillette Super Stainless (PPI)
  3. Gillette Platinum (PPI)
  4. Gillette 7 O’Clock Diamond (India *** blister pack /w handle only)
  5. Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (PPI Green Packaging)
  6. Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (PPI Yellow Packaging)
  7. Gillette Silver Blue (PPI)
  8. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (PPI Blue packaging) (OOP)
  9. Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (India Black Packaging)
  10. Gillette Minora (PPI)
  11. Gillette Bleue Extra (PPI) (LP)
  12. Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India NFE) (Wiltech)
  13. Astra Super Stainless (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  14. Astra Superior Platinum (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  15. Astra Keramik (FMR Prago Union DIU) (OOP)
  16. Polsilver (FMR Wizamet) (OOP)
  17. Polsilver Super Iridium (FMR Wizamet)
  18. Gillette Goal (Manaus, Brasil) (Mexico City)
  19. Gillette Super Thin (Thailand Vietnam Shanghai JV)
  20. Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (India green packaging)
  21. Gillette 365 (Manaus, Brasil) (Mexico City)
  22. Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (PPI)
  23. Gillette Super Blue (Shanghai JV)
  24. Permasharp Super Stainless (FMR Permatik Celik Sanayi)
  25. Sputnik (FMR FCP via Leninets)
  26. Tiger (FMR Prago Union DIU)(OOP)
  27. Rotbart Extra Dünn (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  28. Gillette Super Silver (FMR Prago Union DIU)(OOP)
  29. Gillette Azul Aço Inox (Manaus, Brasil) (OOP)

Last edited:
I picked up a few packs of Gillette Minora when I was in Colombia, South America and they were made in Brazil.
There were a very slim pickings for DE blades there.
While I was in a store, one man came in and purchased just one blade.
I felt kind of bad with the number of blades that I have, and this man can only afford to get one at a time.

PPI does not manufacture private-label blades, nor store-branded. Nacet and Silver Blue are not manufactured to the same specifications. Three of the blades listed in the first post are presently out of production.

I listed the Super Silver because Royal Shave still has them listed as "For Sale" on their website. I now notice that they are out of stock. I will correct my original list.

When you say that the Nacet and GSB are manufactured to a lower spec, do you have any specific info on that? Both blades are very highly regarded on this site.

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!

― Mae West

I did not say lower. They are not manufactured to the same specifications as each other, meaning they are not the same blade in different packaging. Also be advised that discontinued is not a word in the PPI lexicon. Some brands are indeed retired, but others are simply placed out of production, temporarily.

Last edited:
Please add Gillette Bleue Extra to the list as well.
These blades are sold in France and the package clearly mentions PPI as the production plant.

I haven't had a blade from PPI thus far that was below expectations. They all shave great!
To me however the Astra SP's are less sharp than the others I already tried (Gillette Bleue Extra, SI, Gillette Stainless and Gillette Platinum).

I also was surprised to see that Sputnick blades are made in St Petersburg. I looked at my sleeve of Sputnicks and right there it says "Gillette" and "St Petersburg" in English and Russian.

Since this seems to be a common misconception, I wonder how it got started.

Well, common to two of us any way.

Kevin

I did not say lower. .

Sorry Mischka, I misinterpreted your words. When you said that "Nacet and GSB are not manufactured to the same specifications," I thought you meant as compared to all of the other PPI blades, not to each other.

Incredible that just the slightest and most subtle difference in a blade can mean the world to someones face! So, if every blade is just that lil bit different, and there is that much variety, and we're only talking one single plant here, we could probably go to about two thousand pages and still have a long way to go!

I have since learned the truth about which blades are which and it is not pretty. :mad3:

Since Russia invaded the Ukraine the PPI plant has been converted into an ammo factory and all blades are now repackaged Dorco brand.

:laugh: :lol:
So that explains it!

Gillette Stainless (red box) can also be added...feel like GSBs to me.

Indeed.
$gstainless.jpg

Mischka,

Great list. Thank you.

Do you know if Gillette Azul Aço Inox are still in production in Brazil?
$AzulAcoInox.jpg

Also, are Super Gillette Blue Blades still in production in Shanghai?
$csgbb1.jpg

Finally, do you know anything about these Thai labeled Super Stainless blades? I have some but I know nothing about them.
I tried one and it was not very comfortable with my face.
$fakers.jpg

1. Gillette Nacet (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  2. Gillette Super Stainless (PPI)
  3. Gillette Platinum (PPI)
  4. Gillette 7 O’Clock Diamond (India *** blister pack /w handle only)
  5. Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (PPI Green Packaging)
  6. Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (PPI Yellow Packaging)
  7. Gillette Silver Blue (PPI)
  8. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (PPI Blue packaging) (OOP)
  9. Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (India Black Packaging)
  10. Gillette Minora (PPI)
  11. Gillette Bleue Extra (PPI) (LP)
  12. Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India NFE) (Wiltech)
  13. Astra Super Stainless (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  14. Astra Superior Platinum (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  15. Astra Keramik (FMR Prago Union DIU) (OOP)
  16. Polsilver (FMR Wizamet) (OOP)
  17. Polsilver Super Iridium (FMR Wizamet)
  18. Gillette Goal (Manaus, Brasil) (Mexico City)
  19. Gillette Super Thin (Thailand Vietnam Shanghai JV)
  20. Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (India green packaging)
  21. Gillette 365 (Manaus, Brasil) (Mexico City)
  22. Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (PPI)
  23. Gillette Super Blue (Shanghai JV)
  24. Permasharp Super Stainless (FMR Permatik Celik Sanayi)
  25. Sputnik (FMR FCP via Leninets)
  26. Tiger (FMR Prago Union DIU)(OOP)
  27. Rotbart Extra Dünn (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  28. Gillette Super Silver (FMR Prago Union DIU)(OOP)

Sorry Mischka, I misinterpreted your words. When you said that "Nacet and GSB are not manufactured to the same specifications," I thought you meant as compared to all of the other PPI blades, not to each other.

Your misunderstanding was my fault, as I did not explain myself thoroughly. I was responding to a previous post which speculated that both brands were the same blade and I should have quoted it.

Wow, Mischka, thanks for the comprehensive list (and insight)!

You are welcome.

Mischka,

Great list. Thank you.

Do you know if Gillette Azul Aço Inox are still in production in Brazil?

Also, are Super Gillette Blue Blades still in production in Shanghai?

Finally, do you know anything about these Thai labeled Super Stainless blades? I have some but I know nothing about them. I tried one and it was not very comfortable with my face.

Azul Aço Inox are OOP as of this writing. They do not even show on production runs dating back to 8 August 2012 so it has been a while. Distributors may still very well have an inventory, but I do not have access to their data. Manaus has mostly been converted to cartridge and disposable razor manufacturing, as the population of South America has gravitated toward usage of multi-bladed systems over traditional double edged razors.

Super Blue Blades are still in production in Shanghai. They are the number one selling blade in China.

Gillette Super Stainless blades manufactured in Thailand are just a slight variation of the Gillette Thin blades produced there. This has more to do with entry-level marketing strategy than anything else. Be advised that all PG/Gillette manufacturing facilities are held to the same high QC specifications worldwide, manufactured with identically-equipped lines using the same proprietary technology, regardless of geographical location.

I apologize if I am not more specific with details. I am confident that you all understand why this is not possible.

Top Bottom