What's new

Gillette St. Petersburg - A Cornucopia of Blades

Below is a list - in no particular order - of the razor blades made at the Gillette factory in St. Petersburg, Russia. I believe that the list is reasonably complete. Please feel free to add to the list - or subtract - if I have omitted a blade or added one in error. I tried to avoid blades that are no longer in production like the Swede or the 7 OC Blue. By my count, Gillette makes 11 different blades in St. Petersburg.

Are all 11 varieties uniquely different, or are the same blades packaged differently for different markets?

How are these blades different from each other? I understand that different alloys may be used in the manufacturing process, and that the bevel/coating of one blade may be different than another, but what do we know about these Russian blades? The Polsilver is easy to figure out because of its unique Iridium coating, but how is the Gillette Platinum different from the Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus or the Astra Super Platinum(SP)?

To me it is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

The List:

-Gillette Silver Blue
-Polsilver SI
-PermaSharp Super
-Nacet
-Astra Stainless
-Astra SP
-Gillette Platinum
-Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
-Gillette Super Silver (out of production)
-Gillette 7 OC Green
-Gillette 7 OC Yellow

ADDED:
-Gillette Minora
-Sputnik
-Gillette Bleue Extra
-Gillette Stainless (Red Box)

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!

― Mae West

Last edited:
You left out Sputnik and Gillette Minora (if the latter are still in production).

Last edited:
Of those that I have tried, I don't feel like there is a tremendous difference. However, there is something about the Nacet that made me stop there and just enjoy the shave, excellent blade. As best I can understand, should I not be able to get them someday, Silver Blue is an identical blade, though priced slightly higher for some reason.

Of those that I have tried, I don't feel like there is a tremendous difference. However, there is something about the Nacet that made me stop there and just enjoy the shave, excellent blade. As best I can understand, should I not be able to get them someday, Silver Blue is an identical blade, though priced slightly higher for some reason.

OK, this is a good start. According to Cash_Stronomer, the Nacet and the GSB are identical blades. Can anyone verify that?

OK, this is a good start. According to Cash_Stronomer, the Nacet and the GSB are identical blades. Can anyone verify that?

It would take eqpmt. far beyond what any of us here on the forum possess to determine this. I don't think all their blades are different as well. I also have my personal theories as to which are possibly duplicates. Notice I said theories. More importantly, I would imagine that this is a very closely guarded secret as it involves lots of money.

Nonetheless, let us not lose sight of the end goal here: to find the blade that is best for YOU. Simply try one of each and "listen" to your face. Enjoy the journey. :001_smile

And that would leave the other Russian blades from the Mostochlegmash factory which I believe are Ladas , Voskhod , Sharp Star ,and Rapira (several varieties)....are we missing any more Russian blades ?

It would take eqpmt. far beyond what any of us here on the forum possess to determine this. I don't think all their blades are different as well. I also have my personal theories as to which are possibly duplicates. Notice I said theories. More importantly, I would imagine that this is a very closely guarded secret as it involves lots of money.

Nonetheless, let us not lose sight of the end goal here: to find the blade that is best for YOU. Simply try one of each and "listen" to your face. Enjoy the journey. :001_smile

@Boge,

The fun is in the journey, for sure, but this mini-mystery intrigues me because I find it hard to believe that Gillette makes 13 uniquely different blades in St. Petersburg. I was intrigued at the idea that the GSB and Nacet are one in the same blade. One year ago I trialled the GSB and found it just wasn't sharp enough for my heavy beard. Recently, I trialled the Nacet and liked it so much that I purchased 150 of them. Wouldn't that be a Fine Kettle of Fish if they turned out to be one in the same blade? Wouldn't it be interesting to learn that the blade I prefer, and the blade you prefer, turn out to be one in the very same blade. Sweet Irony.

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
― Mae West

Last edited:
@Boge,

The fun is in the journey, for sure, but this mini-mystery intrigues me because I find it hard to believe that Gillette makes 13 uniquely different blades in St. Petersburg. I was intrigued at the idea that the GSB and Nacet are one in the same blade. One year ago I trialled the GSB and found it just wasn't sharp enough for my heavy beard. Recently, I trialled the Nacet and liked it so much that I purchased 150 of them. Wouldn't that be a Fine Kettle of Fish if they turned out to be one in the same blade. Sweet Irony.

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
― Mae West

I believe there was spectographic analysis to show that some of them were obviously different but no one has done a thorough run through to pin down which ones are the most similar.

Also, while the Sputniks are decent I always thought they were inferior to many of the others. And the friend who gave me the Blues, Rubies, and Sputniks recently said unprompted that the 7 O'Clock Blues were the pick of the three and the Sputniks the most ordinary. At least by PPI standards. This matches my previous subjective ranking. Blues > Rubies > Sputnik

Thanks for the information. I have 100 of Astra SP, Nacet, and GSBs. I find the GSB and Nacet to have similar smoothness and sharpness. They shave differently than the Astra sp in my opinion. In addition, I also have 200 voshkod blades for an inventory of nearly 500 Russian blades. I still have a desire to acquire additional Russian blades.

Last edited:
I just go with the assumption that if you really have to think about it, then their probably the same, more or less. Some stick right out as different, whilst others compare way too close. So, as long as you know what's close, then you know what your options are if for some reason you can not find your regular. Also, in the other company, Voskhod and Platinum Lux (to me), are excellent blades, that can be had at almost no cost, should budget be an issue someday as well. I'd gladly use those in place of Nacet if for some reason I should have to.

How are these blades different from each other?

Assuming that different razors, shaving routines, and beards will end up with different results, it's going to be hard to come up with hard and fast conclusions on this one.

Oh...and then there's the issue of how long to use the blade. Some guys toss the blade after two or three shaves. Others toss it after a few months. The differences between blades isn't very meaningful if you don't use the blades for an extended period.

It would be ideal if each shaver could come up with their own set of results.

Below is a list - in no particular order - of the razor blades made at the Gillette factory in St. Petersburg, Russia. I believe that the list is reasonably complete. Please feel free to add to the list - or subtract - if I have omitted a blade or added one in error. I tried to avoid blades that are no longer in production like the Swede or the 7 OC Blue. By my count, Gillette makes 11 different blades in St. Petersburg.

Are all 11 varieties uniquely different, or are the same blades packaged differently for different markets?

How are these blades different from each other? I understand that different alloys may be used in the manufacturing process, and that the bevel/coating of one blade may be different than another, but what do we know about these Russian blades? The Polsilver is easy to figure out because of its unique Iridium coating, but how is the Gillette Platinum different from the Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus or the Astra Super Platinum(SP)?

To me it is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

The List:

-Gillette Silver Blue
-Polsilver SI
-PermaSharp Super
-Nacet
-Astra Stainless
-Astra SP
-Gillette Platinum
-Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
-Gillette Super Silver
-Gillette 7 OC Green
-Gillette 7 OC Yellow

ADDED:
-Gillette Minora
-Sputnik

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!

― Mae West

I believe the Sputnik is produced in Moscow by Mostochlegmash, not in St. Pete.

Those blades are all different for me. They all are similar, but certainly not identical. In the same way all Lord blades feel similar(not sharp enough for me).

I have since learned the truth about which blades are which and it is not pretty. :mad3:

Since Russia invaded the Ukraine the PPI plant has been converted into an ammo factory and all blades are now repackaged Dorco brand.

:laugh: :lol:

Top Bottom