What's new

Gillette SS gets a huge thumbs up!

Okay, so I am stil lnew to this, maybe 4 or 5 months in. I bid on a 1948-50 SuperSpeed because the price was right and I've heard good things about the razor. Really, I was only satisfying my need to have more shaving stuff, but why not start with a classic?

So, I get it, clean it up, and put it in with my shaving stuff, where it sits looking nice for a couple of weeks. My HD is working fine, I'm in no hurry.

Anyway, last night, I pick it up and think - what the hell - pop a fresh Derby into it, lather up some Proraso and start shaving. To my amazement, this 60 year-old razor absolutely out-performed my HD which, up to that point had out-performed anything else I ever used. I mean, three passes, then a touch-up around my muzzle (D'oh!), and my face was smoother then, well, my face before puberty I guess.

So, what is it about a simple razor design that can make so much difference? I looked closely at the SuperSpeed, my HD, and even my 70's Super Adjustable long handle that I haven't even used yet, and I really can't see that big a difference. But there IS a difference. My wife thinks I've lost my mind, but I know it's not just me.

Anyway, two big thumbs-up to the 1948-50 SuperSpeed, pretty impressive little shaving instrument. And, on another note as has already been mentioned by several shavers here, there is something slightly spiritual about using a shaving instrument that's been around that long. Thoughts of who else used it - when, where, under what circumstances - all just seem to flood in. Again, my wife thinks I'm mad, but really, I'm just happily overwhelmed.

Peace,

Pierre

Welcome to the club, Pierre! This razor has a permanent place in my rotation - it is certainly not much to look at but a really nice shaver. There must be very subtle differences in just how much bend the blade gets along with exposure, safety bar setting and head shape that all combine to make big differences between similar looking razors.

Dennis

I know exactly what you mean about using an old razor. I had the same experience after using my Merkur Long Classic for awhile and then getting and using a Gillette Tech. I was stunned at the different kind of shave it provides. It was not where near as aggressive and gave me the ability to shaving in different directions. I was BBS but in a different way.

Using the Gillette Tech also helped in honing my technique for my Merkur Long Classic. I can now actually shave in different directions with the Merkur. Razors are clearly not all alike but you can learn a lot from using different ones.

I'm now waiting for a Gillete Fat Boy Adjustable and am really curious to see how different that will be.

I've only been wetshaving for about 3 months now -- but ever since my first shave, I was hooked. My wife thinks I'm completely mad as well; however, she's still supportive of my foray into this exciting new world.

I've now made it my goal to collect and use as many different types of DE's I can. I currently own 17 -- all of which came from local antique markets (no new Murker's here). It's amazing what you can find some days. I came home with 5 razors in their original cases just last weekend -- so I highly suggest everyone getting out there and scouring the continent to find its hidden treasures.

I've found each razor provides a slightly different shave, and I've been having a great time trying them all out. RAD has never looked so good!!!! :w00t:

Now, if only I could convince my 4 brothers to give it a try! That'd be like starting my own person coup against modern razors. :a41:

GoTeeGuy said:
I've only been wetshaving for about 3 months now -- but ever since my first shave, I was hooked. My wife thinks I'm completely mad as well; however, she's still supportive of my foray into this exciting new world.

Actually, even though my wife thinks I've lost it, she also is quite supportive because 1) I shave more often because I like it 2) my shaves are closer so she likes it :biggrin: and 3) I have no irritation so my face looks better - subjective as that is...

GoTeeGuy said:
Now, if only I could convince my 4 brothers to give it a try! That'd be like starting my own person coup against modern razors. :a41:

Well, you have all those razors. Maybe just pick out a couple of the duplicates that you have, package it up with an inexpensive boar brush, a 5-pack of Derby blades and a tube of Proraso and give them as gifts. How can they resist? One shaver at a time, and we can change the world! I'll join your crusade Brother! I'll start with my Brother, coming for a visit this fall.

Just think how many new wet shavers there would be if everyone on B&B converted just one shaver. Just think!

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
Okay, so I am stil lnew to this, maybe 4 or 5 months in. I bid on a 1948-50 SuperSpeed because the price was right and I've heard good things about the razor. Really, I was only satisfying my need to have more shaving stuff, but why not start with a classic?

So, I get it, clean it up, and put it in with my shaving stuff, where it sits looking nice for a couple of weeks. My HD is working fine, I'm in no hurry.

Anyway, last night, I pick it up and think - what the hell - pop a fresh Derby into it, lather up some Proraso and start shaving. To my amazement, this 60 year-old razor absolutely out-performed my HD which, up to that point had out-performed anything else I ever used. I mean, three passes, then a touch-up around my muzzle (D'oh!), and my face was smoother then, well, my face before puberty I guess.

I also have newfound respect for my SuperSpeed since I started using Derby blades in it. This is the razor I learned to shave with some 20 odd years ago. It was a hand-me-down from my dad who used an open comb brass razor. At the time, I thought it was just a second class razor, but now I realize it gives first rate shaves.

Orest

Pierre

Why not take a few moments and write a review of this razor in the review section of the board? It is more easily referenced that way and can add to the knowledge base here.:biggrin:

Razor review

Goosemeplease said:
Pierre

Why not take a few moments and write a review of this razor in the review section of the board? It is more easily referenced that way and can add to the knowledge base here.:biggrin:

Done - Check HERE.

Go ahead, make a comment.

Peace,

Pierre

btw, Jim, you just managed to combine ratings of zero with the excellent ratings that I just gave it for a total of a really crappy 45-50%.

moses said:
btw, Jim, you just managed to combine ratings of zero with the excellent ratings that I just gave it for a total of a really crappy 45-50%.

I fixed it sorry- Thank you for the public spanking:sad: It will clear in a bit!

Top Bottom